PDA

View Full Version : FrontPage and People Updating Own Site...

rhodan
04-10-2004, 12:11 PM
This is similiar to another questions asked a few days ago but this one involves FrontPage.

I have a few users and friends who have FrontPage 2000 and would like to update and keep their own websites on my space. I use FrontPage myself so there would be no conflict with ftp messing up FrontPage extensions.

But my question is how would I create the proper space on the site and have it have a unique password and login? I'm worried because if a user does not specify the right directory to upload into with FrontPage they can write over my home destination by accident. Would I just create an FTP site for them to use?

Please advice this clueless soul. Thanks in advance!!!!!!

brokencode
04-28-2004, 08:20 AM
If you go into your manager(www.yourdomain.com/manager), there is a link at the top labeled E-mail/FTP Management which will allow you to create a new user on your site.

Also, I do recommend that you and your friends upgrade to Macromedia Dreamweaver. Frontpage is very IE friendly, very bad to every other browser.

adpwl1
05-01-2004, 12:07 PM
There is actually a way in the FrontPage Administrator to allow for the additional domains/directories that exist in your same space to have there own FP extensions/ID/Password.

If this is what you are looking for, let me know and I will type up a doc.

rhodan
05-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Yeah that's what I'm looking for. Sorry it took so long to get back to this one.

As far as the FrontPage or Dreamweaver debate many people have different reasons and experience levels that help them find what is best for them.

For instance getting a brand new version of Dreamweaver from the store is expensive. Especially if the individual is just a hobbyist web designer. Frontpage isn't as expensive.

FrontPage has a lot of inner tricks that can be utilized to create and change content throughout the entire website if you know what you are doing and if you have fp extensions on your site.

Also as a site designer and web host I barely have time to edit my own personal pages let alone teach my users how to create and maintain sites with dreamweaver.

I personally have experience with GoLive, Dreamweaver, and FrontPage. I find FrontPage to be a great choice for working on websites for my clients.

I agree that it does do some odd stuff, but thankfully I know more than the average FrontPage user about javascripting, html and other web design elements. So what FrontPage lacks I adjust by hardcoding what I need.

e-vad
11-17-2006, 12:56 PM
There is actually a way in the FrontPage Administrator to allow for the additional domains/directories that exist in your same space to have there own FP extensions/ID/Password.

If this is what you are looking for, let me know and I will type up a doc.

Any chance you could send me this document?

p2r@place2race.com

Regards,

J-A-C-K
11-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Here is an easy step by step.
It uses the FrontPage SubWeb facility to manage any number of friends webs within your own account.

I assume that you have installed FrontPage in the Root of this site.
Your VPS Control Panel does this.

To create a space for a friend do this:
- Log on to your root site with FrontPage.
- Create a new Directory (Folder) to house your friend's website.
give the folder an easy to identify name like friend1site
- Right click on the folder and select 'Convert to Web'
- Double click on the new web to open it.
- Select the Tools Pull Down and Select Security then Permissions.
- Select 'This Web Uses Unique Permissions'
You must click ok and let FP digest this selection before going on.
- Again Select the Tools Pull Down and Select Security then Permissions.
- Click the 'USERS' Tab
- Click 'Add' an ID for Your Friend and Select 'Author and Browse this Web'
That completes the FP setup Make a note of the full path to this site
e.g. http://www.mybasesite.com/friend1site
- Open your westhost control panel for your base site
- Click 'Domain Management'
- Click 'NEW' Button
- Follow the steps to enter your Friends Web Address
use his registered name myfriendssite.com for the domain name
use the path to the directory created by FP /var/www/html/mybasename/friend1site
get the basic path info from your base site which is also displayed on this page.

Now go to your friend, tell him to open his old hosting site with FP.
He should publish his site to its new home via your base address,
http://www.mybasesite.com/friend1site, using the user id and password that you setup for him.

Once this is done, go to his DNS registrar and change his name servers to point to west
NS1.west-datacenter.net
NS2.west-datacenter.net

In a day or two he will be working as a part of your account with his own authority to maintain only that part of the account that is his. Of course you remain the master wit overall control including the ability to add and change users who can modify his website.

He can now give up his old hosting account and begin paying you.

rolling
11-18-2006, 03:39 AM
If you are setting up separate virtual hosts for each of your friends, then I suggest that you place their directory structure outside your sites.

For example, do you want your friends site to be friendsite.com, friendsite.mysite.com or mysite.com/friendsite?

Go into your site manager.
First, set up ftp for your user and point their login to /var/www/friendsite

Click on EMail/FTP Management
Click on New EMail/FTP
Enter Username and password for friendsite. Click on Next
Disable EMail and Autoresponder if you do not want them to have email
Enable FTP Access with desired quota
Set home directory to /var/www/friendsite

Now set up the domain and subdomain

Click on Domain Management.
To add a domain (friendsite.com) just click on New at the bottom of the page. If you do not have the button, you have used up your allocation.
If you want to create a subdomain (friendsite.mysite.com), then click on your domain name and then click on new
Enter friendsite as sub domain
Enter /var/www/friendsite as Root directory of the subdomain
Click on Finish

Now do all your FrontPage stuff