PDA

View Full Version : View other accounts through Pine?

j103c
04-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to view non-admin user e-mail through Pine? In otherwords, if I have created another user, aside from the WH created user at account set up, can I somehow SSH in and open that account's e-mail through Pine?

I would think that would be easy if "su" was available, but since it's not I was wondering if there was another way to do that..

Jess

FZ
04-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Yes this is possible, but you would still have to have logged in to your SSH session with your admin username/password combo (since you can't do it any other way). Once at Pine's main screen, press L and then G and type /var/spool/mail/accountname (obviously replacing accountname with the name of the mail account you want to "inspect") and press enter. This will then display the e-mail messages contained in the mailbox for that account, and you can then manipulate them just like you would your own account.

Alternatively, if you do this often, you could just create symlinks to each account that you view in the /mail folder, so that they show up as mailboxes in Pine, when you do a "Folder list" (i.e. when you press L).

j103c
04-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Ahh - this is awesome, thanks FZ. Not necessarily a point-and-click GUI, but handy to have the SSH encryption, which is what I was after.

Thanks!

FZ
04-06-2004, 03:50 PM
You're welcome :)

matts8008
04-15-2004, 09:17 AM
You can also use pine -f /var/spool/mail/whatever to start in their box.

FZ
04-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Good to know, thanks matts8008 :)