PDA

View Full Version : PHP script to run a club.

Armadillo
03-28-2004, 10:21 PM
I'd like to have a PHP script to run the registration process of a club I run.

This is how the process goes now-
People submit a form via formmail. Once a week I drag and drop those e-mails from OE into a Visual Basic program I wrote. This program processes the data and adds it to a static HTML page. I upload the page to the server. The club currently has 11 pages and over 1000 members.

Here is what I would like to do-
People submit a form via a PHP script to a database. I could log into an admin page and approve, reject, or edit those forms. Once approved they would be added to a members list.
Members could browse or search the members list through one PHP generated page.

I have found a guestbook script (Maian Guestbook) that I may be able to modify to do that.
I would also have to somehow put the data in 11 pages into a database. I may be able to make a VB program to create a SQL file with that data.

Does any one know of a script already in existence that can handle the club registration and members list?

wildjokerdesign
03-29-2004, 07:20 AM
The script that runs phpBB can be used. I use it on one of my sites for such a thing. It take quite a bit of modification to get it to do what I wanted but wasn't to hard to do. There are also tons of mods available out there for it both on their sit and others that can help in the process.

The one mod that came to mind when reading your post is one called the Knowledge Base. It allows memebers to submit an article and then you can check it and approave or refect it if you want before it is avaiable to other members.

Might be worth looking at. I would imagin the other php based boards are similiar and might work just as well if you found one that had a feature built in.

Armadillo
04-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the idea wildjoker, but phpBB is a bit too much for what I want to do. I'll look into it and see how hard it would be to strip it down to the bare necessitys.

Ive been editing the Maian Guestbook code (removing and adding features) and it seems to do pretty good. If any one needs a guestbook I recommend Maian Guestbook.

Ive got a partial test database going (the first 100 of 1100 entrys) and it seems fast enough. I have some questions however....

Is it better to have one database for my YabbSE forum and my Maian-based club? Or should I keep them seperate (as they are now)? Will it make any difference in performance?

I want to keep web robots away from my clubs php pages. I know I can use a robots.txt file, but bad robots will ignore it. Is there any way I can prevent all robots from accessing my club pages?

FZ
04-12-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't think the number of databases you have affects performance, so you could keep your Maian-based club in your YabbSE forum database. However, to organize it all better, and to take advantage of the freedom 2.0 allows, you should keep them in separate databases. Then, it will be easier to maintain. Also, you could go a step further to improve security by creating separate usernames/passwords for each of these two databases, and restrict each account to the database with the same name.

As for keeping robots away, I think the only way you'd achieve that 100% is if you password protected that section of your site, or never linked to it from any page (so it doesn't get spidered), or made some sort of manual procedure necessary to enter the page (e.g. display an image with a word in it, and have the person enter that word into a text box and click submit - just like a password, but something that is given to the visitor). If you ask me though, password protection would be the least painful and most effective way.

dahj
04-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Why even use a bb program? Program it and use a mysql database to manage the list. It'd be really easy to query the database to add/remove and even update club members. Even then creating a dynamic page that could update would be easy enough. You'd even save yourself time that you have to spend each and every week entering these in through your VB script?

Barb54
05-19-2004, 10:17 PM
I used to think the way you're thinking and trust me, you don't need a bb to run your club. First, if you can get that list of members into a ".csv" format you can import it into a mysql database. Use phpMyAdmin to set up the table and fields you need in the correct order.
There are several 5th gen programs for ASP, PHP, etc that will write basic scripts for you by letting you connect to your database then letting you tell it how you want different types of pages like lists, detail view, edit, add, delete pages to look and feel. They are awesome but you won't get them for free. Otherwise, live on the developer forums and learn the languages, lol. Thats' what I had to do. Now I know just enough to make me dangerous, lol.

I love php/mysql!!!!!

HTH,
Barb