PDA

View Full Version : Resource limits on VPS

Wondering
03-28-2004, 02:45 PM
I like the VPS plans at WestHost and may move my three websites here (currently on shared hosts). I do have a few questions about VPS features:

1) is multi-domain hosting available from a single VPS plan?
2) can I run my resource-intensive imaging scripts on a VPS?

Thanks in advance.

wildjokerdesign
03-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you should be ok without knowing specifics. The multi-domain hosting should be no problem and unless there is something real od about your imageing script it should not cause any problem. Several users have installed Gallery on thier accounts and ImageMagick is possible to install on accounts. I think most the threads on that aspect would be down in the php area. There is always someone willing to help you step through getting something set up as a rule and several of us users have pages on things you can do with a WestHost account.

creditclown
04-26-2004, 12:06 PM
This is a question I had as well: Does the VPS limit my CPU & mem usage so that I can run resource-intensive scripts such that they won't affect other sites on the same server. (I don't mind so much if my resource-intensive stuff is limited in some way -- I'll figure out what to do if that gets to be a problem, but I don't want to run into a situation where my stuff is affecting other people's stuff and/or where I suddenly get a whopping big bill for my usage. heheh)

For example, if I got slashdotted, would that just affect my site, or everyone on the same server? Are there some kind of per-virtual-server CPU/mem throttling methods in place?

Thanks for any info. :-)

CC

[edit: I read a little more and found a post that says WestHost uses a modified Sphera technology. Sphera says that they do separate CPU/Mem -- but still not sure if the WestHost VPS's do or not?]

WestHost - MMellor
04-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Hello CC,

We do not limit the CPU and memory usage that a VPS can utilize. If you are going to be running a special resource-intensive script it is a good rule of thumb to give us a call and let us know. The reason for this is so that our system administrator doesn't go in and kill the process.

As far as getting slashdotted. That would not effect your VPS or any other VPS on the server. WestHost currently utilizes multiple DS-3 connections, with scalability to OC-48 and beyond. What this means is that if one of our servers is experiencing a rush of traffic we can instantly scale up the connection.

creditclown
04-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Michael. I guess I wasn't wondering so much about bandwidth as about whether or not many concurrent hits to a CGI or PHP script would cause a problem. A couple of hundred hits a day on a CGI script is no big deal, while several thousand might be a problem CPU and/or system-load-wise. This is what I was actually worried about, as the bandwidth is within the limits of the service I have.

Thanks!

CC

WestHost - MMellor
04-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Hello CC,

It is completely dependent on the script and what it does. You will actually be able to monitor the bandwidth within your site manager. If it is being used up too fast you would be able to scale down your scripts or move to a more advanced package. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

WestHost - BErickson
04-28-2004, 04:31 PM
CC,

You are correct in your assumption of load problems with concurrent hits to a particular script. It would definitely affect the resources of the server you were on.

We have had "slashdotted" clients, but have been pretty quick to catch load problems and manage resources accordingly, so as not to affect other clients. If your high usage of resources continued over time, we would probably recommend you consider a Dedicated Server.

Anonymous
11-04-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm very interested in moving my website to the WestHost Deluxe package, but I also have a query about CPU resources.

I'm having problems with my current shared hosting because I have a relatively large forum and my webhost says all the SQL queries are causing an unfair server load compared to other users.

Is it possible to quantify in some way the amount of CPU resources that I would be allowed as a WestHost customer? I presume it all depends on how many accounts share each server -- can I ask how many sites share a server here? I presume that there are fewer sites per Deluxe server than Starter, or is this not the case?

Or would it be possible to limit the CPU usage of a VPS just to make sure that accounts can't interfere with each other?

Basically, I'd like to move my website here but I don't want to run into problems immediately with server load. It seems to be so hard to quantify CPU requirements, as opposed to bandwidth or disk space which are both easy to define.

WestHost - BErickson
11-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Orange2000,

CPU resources are not currently guaranteed to a particular client. That is something that may be available next year. In the meantime, we watch resources closely and reorganize them accordingly. It doesn't depend on the number of accounts as much as the type of accounts.

We have high resource accounts on servers with few total accounts. We also have servers with more accounts, where resource usage is far less. How much you'll need will depend on the particular script and number of processes.

Most likely, if you are being told you are a high resource user, you should be considering a Dedicated Server. Of course in saying that, I'm assuming your existing host isn't overloading their servers with accounts, or isn't overly picky about resource usage.

If you'd like, I can have one of our Sys Admins take a look at your particular account more closely and see if they can determine if it is as much of a risk on a shared server as your existing host is suggesting.