PDA

View Full Version : Problem with long urls and posted variables

artswabbie
03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
I suppose I should first confess to installing a third party script called SimpNews:

http://www.bbaybrewery.com/simpnews/

And after running into my problem, have first tried their forum:

http://forum.boesch-it.de/viewtopic.php?p=7887#7887

And well, to summerize, I seem to be having a problem when an url is too long, something doesn't parse it properly and the whole thing gets treated as a file path rather than a file and a list of variables. This crops up when someone tries to confirm their subscription to my Simpnews installation.

The developers of Simpnews seem to think that this is a setting on the server, possibly having to do with mod_regex or mod_rewrite.

Also, our account hasn't been upgraded to WestHost2 yet (which is another bone I wish to pick somehow, but later).

So, assuming that the Simpnews people are right and given that our account is still WestHost1, is there a way I can fix this?

If I can't flick a "switch" somewhere to make it work, I can think of one possible work around, but it's klugy and involves a relay of mailing lists. I'd rather not do it that way.

wildjokerdesign
03-26-2004, 12:56 PM
It has been so long since I worked with a 1.0 account it is hard to remember for sure but I think you'll have to wait untill you are switched to 2.0. You might be able to get support to do something about it on the 1.0 account but since they are so close to moveing on with the upgrades not sure if they'll want to or not.

WH is saying that the switch is going to happen soon but .... I did do a manual move of one account and it was not to bad. You can request it via support. Mine took about a week and a half but part of that delay was because I had to go back and do some re-codeing of scripts to work on 2.0 that I had missed and I took some extra time to make sure some new things where working before I had WH make the DNS changes. The old site was up during all this I am simply speaking of my time involved in the move. The old account stays up for about three days after the DNS change so end users should see very little downtime if any at all.

I think it would be more worth your time to work on moveing to 2.0 then the workaround you where thinking of since when you did move I doubt it would be needed and you would have to then work on getting the mod_regex or mod_rewrite set right wich you should have control over in 2.0 although it involves working with the config files and not something WH supports.

If you can find the way to make the changes to the server settings using an .htaccess file in your home directory that may work but can not remember if you would have the permission to do that on a 1.0 account.

WestHost - MMellor
03-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Here is the latest official release regarding the upgrade:

We are nearing completion on our preparations for the remaining WestHost 2.0 upgrades. Our efforts have included work on an upgrade tool that will:

- Give you complete control over the time and date of your account upgrade.
- Provide full reporting on the upgrade process, allowing you to verify the settings of your account before upgrading.
- Automatically publish and e-mail all necessary information for using your new 2.0 account.
- Allow you to "roll-back" the upgrade if it is not done to your satisfaction.

We feel confident that this new tool will be ready to launch soon, although several factors could either shorten or lengthen the release date. If you ARE able to wait, we strongly recommend that you fill out the WestHost 2.0 Upgrade Request Form (https://corp.westhost.com/upgrade2/) which will give you advanced notification of when the tool will be available.

If you ARE NOT able to wait for the new tool, we can help move your account to the new WestHost 2.0 platform, but without the tool, it requires much more work on your end. You will need to:

- Move all of your web files to the new server manually.
- Configure all scripts manually with the new paths (if necessary).

Also, you will need to expect the following:

- Your WestHost 1.0 account will be deleted 72 hours after the DNS change.
- You may experience some syncing issues with your databases and e-mail during the DNS change.
- The DNS change can take up to 8 hours.
- We are not responsible for any problems that may arise due to an early upgrade.

Once you are sure you would like to manually upgrade without the upgrade tool, you will need to reply to this e-mail indicating that you understand the risks and would still like to move. A new VPS will be created for you on the WestHost 2.0 platform, and you will be sent your new login info.

If you have any questions about this, please let us know.

artswabbie
03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Ah! Wonderful! Thank you. There are a number of reasons why we need to upgrade as soon as possible. We are, in fact, losing business, time and money because of it. But I will first examine the amount of work necissary in the manual upgrade before requesting it.

Again, thank you.

WestHost - MMellor
03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

artswabbie
04-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Ooh! Question:

Which email address do I send the request to?

wildjokerdesign
04-03-2004, 08:48 PM
I think that if you give them your request via the contact/support page form they well get it http://members.westhost.com/contactus.html

That way you also get a ticket number assigned to it wich gives you a refrence if you need to contact them during the process.

If you have any questions during the switch don't hesitate to ask us here on the forum. You'll see alot more directories and files when you go to the new set up. Don't let them throw you off. :) The main directory you'll be uploading your files to are located in /var/www/html . There is a "shortcut" to it in the root directory. Click on www then your username and you should be in the correct directory.

artswabbie
04-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Sweet. Thank you very much!