westhost.com is using
Name Server: NS3.WESTSERVER.NET
Name Server: NS4.WESTSERVER.NET
and it is still up
:cry: :x

WestHost - MMellor
03-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Hello Daveline,
All of our servers are up and running right now. Did you have a problem with your site and you are thinking that it is DNS related? If so please give me more details and I'll take a look at it for you. Also take a look at http://netstatus.westhost.com/ That gives the status of all of servers and so you will be able to see that they are all up.

daveline
03-31-2004, 05:45 AM
The servers came back up at 8:00AM EST (almost exactly). I host multiple sites on a variety of the westhost servers, and they were all down. So It was not related to a specific westhost server. I Did check the netstatus.westhost.com page, and everything was up. But if you notice the dns servers are NOT on that this. The reason I think it was the dns servers is for two reason
1. All of my sites where down, and they are hosted on different west host servers.
2. My home computer is setup with the westhost NS1.WEST-DATACENTER.NET & NS2.WEST-DATACENTER.NET to resolve dns, and my home computer was not resolving any addresses.
:?
This brings up another concern. Are Westhost DNS redundant? The reason to have 2 DNS servers is for this exact reason. Are NS1.WEST-DATACENTER.NET & NS2.WEST-DATACENTER.NET actually the same server? Shouldn't have the domain been resolved from the 2nd DNS Server?

Anyways DNS was just a guess, it could have been any number of things switch, router,internet connection (should be redundant), etc. The main Westhost site was up, so I ruled out any of those things. The only difference I could see was the DNS.

Any Answers?

denis
03-31-2004, 07:35 AM
I am concerned about the lack of redundancy here too. When I punch my domain into dnsreport.com, I get the following as it relates to nameservers:

WARNING: All of your nameservers (listed at the parent nameservers) are in the same Class C (technically, /24) address space, which means that they are probably at the same physical location. Your nameservers should be at geographically dispersed locations. You should not have all of your nameservers at the same location. RFC2182 3.1 goes into more detail about secondary nameserver location.

What I'd really like to know is what happens to email when the nameservers are down? Do they get bounced back to the sender? This wouldn't be the first time the nameservers were down (it happened a few months back).

The other lack of redundancy is in MX. Westhost should have a backup (secondary). Right now I have to use another service for this.

I'm also looking at a third party solution for backup DNS. But that shouldn't be necessary...Westhost should provide fully redundant DNS & MX (in my humble opinion).

Denis

WestHost - MMellor
03-31-2004, 11:08 AM
We actually keep very accurate statistics on our DNS servers. There have been no problems as of now.

As far as your home computer you should use the name servers that your ISP has given you. That will be more of a local connection and will provide faster access for you.

While not in seperate physical locations, WestHost feels confident in our DNS redundancy. They are located in a world class data center that provides excellent protection:
http://www.westhost.com/datacenter.html

The reason for the lack of redundancy for the MX is that there is only one MX host available. Your VPS. If your VPS is not functioning, where should the mail be delieverd? WestHost does not use a central mail server, mail is delivered directly to your VPS. You are able to add redundancy if you wish. You can setup additional mail servers, and through site manager you can add MX records. If this is important to you, we recommeded following that course of action.

jalal
03-31-2004, 01:46 PM
While not in seperate physical locations, WestHost feels confident in our DNS redundancy. They are located in a world class data center that provides excellent protection:
http://www.westhost.com/datacenter.html

However, the two main DNS (ns1 and ns2) are on the same subnet, which creates a problem when I transfer a german domain to WH. The german system insists that the two (SOA) nameservers be on different subnets. I always have to get ns4 setup by hand.

Not a biggie, just an extra step to be taken.
:wink:

denis
03-31-2004, 07:37 PM
It seems to me that this may be a vulnerability that Westhost could consider fixing. If I recall correctly, it was during the first week of December 2003 that the name servers (or the connection to them) went down. My sites were down and I could not ping the nameservers (if I recall correctly, though WestHost's site was working fine). Presumably if that happens, all mail gets bounced back to the sender (or never gets sent to begin with)...either way, it's bad for business.

As far as the MX goes, I pay another company to have a secondary MX. Their server checks to see when mine's back up and then it forwards the mail to my Westhost account. I'd be happy to pay Westhost for that service instead if that service was offered.

daveline
04-14-2004, 06:23 AM
I was using westhost dns servers for my home computer, because I was in the process of moving a site to westhost and the DNS information was not yet transfered, but I wanted to see the site on the westhost server.

WestHost - MMellor
04-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Hello Daveline,

We actually changed out DNS servers so that they can no longer be used on individual connections. It would be more beneficial for you to use your ISP's DNS servers as they would be much faster. Let us know if you have any other questions.