PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail Quota Limit Change?

erich
03-22-2004, 04:01 PM
I recently had to go in and change an e-mail password. Because we send a lot of large files across the ocean, I had our e-mail quotas set to 0 (Unlimited). Now, the E-Mail/FTP Wizard will not accept 0 as a setting and says it will only accept a number between 1 and 10 (MB).

Has there been a change in WestHost policy here? Will all of our e-mail accounts be forced to have a Quota setting whereas they previously could be "unlimited?"

Thus far, the WestHost Manual still says that you can set the Quota to Unlimited...see Fig. 4.2.3: http://manual.westhost.com/part4.html#ftpmanagement

What's the situation, WestHost?

Erich

dealwatcher
03-22-2004, 04:38 PM
same question here... I don't want limits on my personal email accounts.

erich
03-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I have sent e-mail to WestHost regarding this issue with a screen capture of what I am seeing on all three WH 2.0 domains that I admin.

I was incorrect that the limit was 10MB....it is actually 20MB. BUT, the issue remains the same - there are now limits for any new mailboxes or mailboxes edited. The control panel no longer accepts 0 for "umlimited."

Just updating anyone who is interested...

Regards,

Erich

WestHost - MMellor
03-24-2004, 08:37 AM
Hello guys,

With our 2.0 accounts we actually limit the values that you can set between 1 and 20. The reason for this is that a lot of people were setting their account space to unlimited and they would never download their messages from the server. This would then take up all the space on their VPS and their account would shut down. To fix this we have decided to limit the amount of space to 20. I hope this helps.

erich
03-24-2004, 09:34 AM
Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the reason for the change, but it might be good to update the 2.0 manual to reflect the change.

Is there an e-mail list for WestHost so that admins can be notified about changes like this? It would help us keep ahead of the questions we are likely to receive.

Best regards,

Erich

WestHost - MMellor
03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Hello Erich,
That is a good idea. I'll pass that on to our engineers.

ccwebb
03-24-2004, 02:51 PM
different question....

I do not have any email accounts set up - I take everything in under the "catchall".

What is my email quota? And how do I change it?

Thanks

Charlie

WestHost - MMellor
03-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello CCwebb,
The catchall won't have an email quota because it is not actually an address. If you look on your site manager you have the catchall to be forwarded to another address. So whatever address that it is sending to would have a quota if it is a WestHost email.

qwerty
04-05-2004, 01:50 PM
With our 2.0 accounts we actually limit the values that you can set between 1 and 20. The reason for this is that a lot of people were setting their account space to unlimited and they would never download their messages from the server

Well that's great for going forward, but I want unlimited like I SIGNED UP FOR. 20MB is too small when you are sending and receiving a lot of attachements and MANAGING your own dowloading of e-mail.

Thanks for solving an idiot users problem (WHICH THE ADMIN should have done locally) by taking away something I CONSIDERED in switching to WH.

qwerty
04-05-2004, 01:55 PM
nevermind:

http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1763&highlight=

but WH's response there is pretty stupid.

FZ
04-05-2004, 02:28 PM
You can override the 20MB maximum quota (but please take into consideration WestHost's response): http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9972#9972

WestHost - MMellor
04-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Hello Qwerty,
If we allow people to set their email accounts to unlimited then most of the users will not download their messages off the server. This then leads to their account filling up with messages, which then takes up space. The next thing that happens is that their account is shutoff because they are using 110% of their disk space. This is the reason that it is set.

We do realize that some of our users, yourself for example, do require more advance settings. We are taking this into consideration in our upcoming changes to the Site Manager.