PDA

View Full Version : How to tell yah-oogle my site moved...

dansroka
03-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Here's a puzzle for you guys!

Here's my setup. I have my main site (say, www.site.com) which contains personal and business stuff. I then created a new business site, but because I was short on time/money, I just had the domain (www.business.com) forward to a subdirectory on my main site (www.site.com/business). This was all done before I switched to WestHost.

Once I switched to WestHost, I added my domain www.business.com as a second domain, pointing to that subdirectory (www.site.com/business). So now, from a visitor's point of view, they are always on www.business.com

Makes sense? Here's my dilemma. While my domain was simply forwarding to the subdirectory, I got picked up by Yahoo and Google's crawlers. Unfortunately, they listed the subdirectory www.site.com/business and not the domain www.business.com.

I have gone and submitted my www.business.com domain to them, but they are still stuck on that subdirectory. Is there something I could do that would tell anyone (crawlers especially) who goes to www.site.com/business that they should instead go to www.business.com?

My idea is this:

(1) move my business site to a new subdirectory: www.site.com/business2
(2) change WestHost's domain alias so that www.business.com now points to www.site.com/business2
(3) delete everything from the original subdirectory www.site.com/business, and just have an index file with a redirect command, that send people automatically to www.business.com.

Make sense? Anything easier?

Thanks!
Dan

FZ
03-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I don't think there is anything you can do in this case, except perhaps wait for the crawlers to pick up the changes. I am assuming that the reason they initially listed site.com/directory was because business.com was forwarding to site.com/directory (and not cloaking/hiding the redirection at all). Now, assuming with WestHost, you are NOT forwarding in this manner, and that going to business.com shows business.com in your location bar (and business.com/directory shows business.com/directory and so forth), the crawlers should pick up on this. However, I do not think they'll be able to distinguish that site.com/business and business.com are the same site (or if they do, it might even hurt your rankings since it will think you are just trying to get the same site to appear twice in search results).

Basically there isn't much you can do except move on with your ideas (making sure that site.com/business forwards to business.com, etc.) Alternatively you could do an Apache rewrite rule so that you don't even need to have a directory called /business anymore, and instead just have Apache display the contents of /business2 when someone goes to /business, if you know what I mean ;)

Good luck :)

dansroka
03-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Yep, they listed www.site.com/business because the domain forwarded to that (and they don't list forward). The problem is that since the original directory (www.site.com/business) still exists, the crawlers don't see a need to change. (They are a recalcitrant bunch.) That's why I am thinking of turning the old directory into a forwarding site, pointing back to the new domain (www.business.com). This should "convince" them to switch things for me.

Sounds like it's the easist way to go! Thanks for double-checking my logic.

Dan

FZ
03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
No problem :)