PDA

View Full Version : Need Validity check on incoming email addresses

mcatss
03-15-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm getting hundreds of emails daily from spammers and I've tried everything. The problem is now huge because someone is using fake usernames with my domains to send out even more spam. I think that I must have tried every commercially available solution which operates on the email at the server level and I'm still not pleased. For awhile, I've eliminated the 'catch-all' email boxes and that seems to help somewhat; however, I still am receiving nastygrams from the fake username spam. We sell many products at online auctions, so our email addresses are right there for the spammers to grab...... can't be avoided.

I'm almost desperate enough to use some type of system that requires a live person to respond to an automatically-sent email, much as Earthlink does. Does anyone know of software of this type that could be installed on the server? I don't want to have to check a separate program.

The second thought I had was to find some software that checks for invalid email addresses and ditches the email when found. How could I get something like this to work within my Westhost server?

I'm not very knowledgeable about the newfangled computer ways. Give me Fortran!

:?:

WestHost - MMellor
03-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Hello Mcatts,

There are a couple things that we can do here. For the most part if you are having your email address listed on on line auctions constantly it is there for spammers to grab easily.

From our end on solution that we have is for you to install Spam Assassin. Have you tried this? If you can find out the IP addresses of the servers that are sending you spam you can ban them from viewing your website/sending you email. The biggest problem with this is that for the most part you have to ban IP blocks and so if you block out one person from AOL.com emailing you you will actually block out most of the traffic that would come from AOL.com. Let me know what you want to do and we can move from there.