PDA

View Full Version : Making sense of ftp & sendmail logs

firebirdfan
03-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Sorry to disturb you guys here, but of late for a month I've been having some email problems which I hope can be determined & fixed.

I've just enabled mail logging for all 3 mentioned - thanks to Jalal's tutorial on that.

First sendmail log -
what is :

1. SYSERR(root): forward: no home

2. delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, pri=31526, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
Sent I presume if successfully sent, what if unsuccesfull - will it log as unsuccessful - not sent ?

3. Do you guys set relay for your domains hosted ? Since I did not set any relay, it shows my desktop IP. Is it better to set relay or no - could that be my problems of missing emails ?
As I got one error while sending mail from my yahoo account
It read ** Is your address for ablynet working? I got an undeliverable message for that address.

----
FTP log -
I would like to confirm if someone download stuff from the server it will also log in that xferlog ? I tried -see the message below to confirm thanks

b _ i r abc ftp 0 * c - indicates files uploaded

b _ i o abc ftp 0 * c - indicates files downloaded ?

wildjokerdesign
03-15-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm not real sure what the problem is that you are having it was not real clear from your post.

Not an expert on logs but on the first error I would assume that the account in question did not have a home directory for it. I guess this from other post where folks are haveing a problem and it is because when they have set up the email/ftp account they did not enable FTP so no directory was created for it. You can go in and enable FTP on a account which well create the directory and then disable it and the directory is left and the system sees it.

I think you are right on the second one. If for somereason the email was not sent it well tell you and I think it uses Not sent.

I don't really understand what you are asking on the thrid example. I have not ever had to set a relay when I have created an account.

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/cgi-squarebox/manServer/usr/local/man/man5/xferlog.5

The page above list some stuff about the xferlog. Again not sure if it is specific to your log but found it on google using "xferlog" as a search. According to it o is used for outgoing and i for incoming. I looked at several of the results and most all had the same to say. I did not find for sure where that would show up in the string of the logging,

Sorry can't be more help.

wildjokerdesign
03-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Did some more looking at the FTP matter and the page I gave does list what the format is. From what I can tell this is what it means

b = transfer type was binary

_ = means no action taken

i = i is incoming

r = real locally authenticated user

ablyneto = local username

ftp = Sevice invoked

0 = autnetication method was none

* = Means an authenticated user id is not available

c = complete transfer

There should be other values on the line also according to documentation.
Should start with current time then show the time it took for transfer. Then you should have the remote host name, file size and file name. Each is supposed to be seperated by a space and would come before what you have above.

So in your example the o would not replace the r but the i.

I have edited this a couple times because I finnally figured out the second example was not what you saw but you where asking if it would look that way. :)

FZ
03-15-2004, 12:53 PM
All I can really add here is that you can type mailq at an SSH "command prompt" to see if there is mail waiting (queued) to be sent - if this is the problem you are having (i.e. outgoing mail not being sent/delivered).

As for your question number 3, I'm also not sure what you mean - I don't know much about that topic anyway, but I'd say that Westhost defaults are good enough, unless you know what you need to change (and exactly how to change it, the consequences of the change, and so on).

firebirdfan
03-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks Shawn especially for the detailed description for the xferlog.
Now I know .

Fayez, if I ssh into it, I can only see it real time..will try it if there's any more complaints from my colleagues.
thanks

wildjokerdesign
03-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Your welcome firebirdfan :)

I have to say it took me a bit to figure out myself and not real sure how much I really understand it still.