PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing outgoing mail/earthlink OR other domains?

zelophedad
03-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Is there ANYONE else out there in the westhost universe that cannot send email to earthlink domains? I am on westhost39 and it has been confirmed that all mail from that server will NOT go through to earthlink.

This has been very frustrating and while the WH people have *confirmed* the problem by testing and verifying. They're not all that forthcoming with a solution, other than, "we tested it, we don't know why they're blocking it, we've called them and emailed them, sorry there's nothing else we can do." Needless to say, earthlink has completely ignored my emails to them (that had to be sent via web interface since their domain rejects my email)

That is hardly a correct response, so I wanted to know if anyone else ever had this problem and how you got it resolved. I have a trouble ticket that is miles long and they keep closing it out, but the problem remains. I emailed the CEO and he didn't write back. IT's about a 24-hour cycle b4 I get a response from the tech supt people at WH.

Here's a sample of a bounce (with personal info XXXX'd out)

Return-Path: <MAILER-DAEMON@westhost39.westhost.net>
Received: from localhost (localhost)
by westhost39.westhost.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) id i29N97D23846;
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:16:55 -0600
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:16:55 -0600
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@westhost39.westhost.net>
Message-Id: <200403100116.i29N97D23846@westhost39.westhost.n et>
To: <XXXX@XXXXcom>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
boundary="i29N97D23846.1078881415/westhost39.westhost.net"
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-101.6 required=6.0
tests=FAILURE_NOTICE_1,FAILURE_NOTICE_2,USER_IN_WH ITELIST
version=2.52
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.52 (1.174.2.8-2003-03-24-exp)
Parts/Attachments:
1 Shown 10 lines Text
2 Shown 258 bytes Message, "Delivery Status"
3 Shown 886 bytes Message, "testing"
3.1 Shown 13 lines Text
----------------------------------------

The original message was received at Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:58:24 -0600
from XXXXXXXXX [65.18.167.XXX]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<XXXX@earthlink.net>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
<XXXX@earthlink.net>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
mx2.earthlink.net.
Message could not be delivered for 1 day
Message will be deleted from queue
[ Part 2: "Delivery Status" ]

Reporting-MTA: dns; westhost39.westhost.net
Arrival-Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:58:24 -0600

Final-Recipient: RFC822; XXXXX@earthlink.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mx2.earthlink.net
Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:16:55 -0600

[ Part 3: "Included Message" ]

Return-Path: <XX@XX.com>
Received: from [65.18.167.XXX] (XXX.com [65.18.167.XXX])
by westhost39.westhost.net (8.11.6/8.11.6) with ESMTP id
i28MwOZ18925
for <XXXX@earthlink.net>; Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:58:24 -0600
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:58:18 -0600 (CST)
X-X-Sender: XXXXX@westhost39.westhost.net
To: XXXX <XX@earthlink.nett>
Subject: testing
Message-ID:
<Pine.LNX.4.44.0403081657150.17066-100000@westhost39.westhost.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

wildjokerdesign
03-09-2004, 08:09 PM
If Earthlink is the one that is blocking the mail then you have done about all that you can do aside from continueing to bug them about why they are blocking.

If it just one person at Earthlink that you are trying to contact and it is not part of a mailing list on your site then you could try getting an email at hotmail or yahoo and sending from that account. It is not the best solution but would allow you to at least send an email to the person or even bug Earthlink via email about getting them to remove the block. Although WestHost really have very little control over Earthlinks choice you could continue to try and get them to contact Earthlink also and plead your case for you.

jalal
03-10-2004, 12:56 AM
That is hardly a correct response, so I wanted to know if anyone else ever had this problem and how you got it resolved. I have a trouble ticket that is miles long and they keep closing it out, but the problem remains. I emailed the CEO and he didn't write back. IT's about a 24-hour cycle b4 I get a response from the tech supt people at WH.

If you are sending emails to WH then that is the wrong people. You need to bug earthlink.
There is nothing much that Westhost can do.

zelophedad
03-10-2004, 11:01 AM
thanks guys/gals I kinda figured that earthlink was the perpetrator here. I did fire off a nasty-gram to them from my Yahoo account, but of course, no response yet. I feel badly banging on WH, but I thought they'd have more leverage with Elink given that they control the server etc.

it's not just one address at Elink, it is all addresses so I'm totally blocked. In this day and age of networking it seems to be admitting defeat to have to use another account just to communicate with people in a certain domain (earthlink) kinda defeats the purpose of the "global internet) reminds me of the early early early days when connect.com, quickmail, aol etc didn't interconnect with each other....

WestHost - ZEsser
03-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Hello all,

WestHost has contacted Earthlink concerning this. They currently deny they are blocking anything. We are working with Earthlink and investigating this issue further. We hope to have a resolution for you soon.

Thanks.
FAX: 435-755-3449

When you expect more from your web host
http://members.westhost.com

zelophedad
03-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Well, actually they're NOT denying it at all, here is the response I got from their "executive relations administrator" (I forwarded this to the level2support address at westhost, but have not gotten a response from anyone at WH)

I followed up with a request to you (westhost support) to move me to a different IP, but haven't heard a peep back.

----Message from Earthlink-----------

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:07:00 -0500
To: level2@contact.westhost.com, lou@loufischer.com, crussell@westhost.com
Subject: RE: earthlink #KMM66103676V47518L0KM - Action Required

Hello,

Our mail systems are identifying a high number of invalid addresses and/or
known spam from the IP address at westhost39.westhost.net. Our mail
systems, after a while of seeing this, will simply stop accepting
connections from the sending system.

The only solution is for Westhost to take steps to reduce the number of
invalid/spam messages being sent through their systems to us. Our mail
farm will begin accepting connections automatically, once the high number
of invalid addresses are reduced.

Respectfully,

Jim Barrett
Earthlink, Inc.
Executive Relations Administrator
barrettjj@corp.earthlink.net
----------------------------------------------------------

WestHost - ZEsser
03-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Hello zelophedad,

Earthlink is NOW not denying they are blocking email, but the support history on this problem indicates that they did deny blocking email from WestHost multiple times. Your message from Earthlink, roughly an hour old, is the first we've seen of them not denying they were blocking. We're working with Earthlink for a solution to this as you know.

Please also note that spamcop is not listing this server currently as indicated here:
http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=216.71.84.230

Earthlink has specifcally referenced spamcop as a source of their information. Thus, as this server is not listed on spamcop, we're not sure why Earthlink is blocking the email. Furthermore, if WestHost were allowing as much spam through our system as Earthlink thinks we are, we would be having emails rejected in numerous other places than just Earthlink.

I believe you have open tickets concerning this issue, when our tech support has information for you concerning this problem you'll hear through the support channel.

Thanks for the feedback.

zelophedad
03-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Yes, I have a case number on this, 302079 but I haven't heard back *directly* from anyone else at WH (other than you via this forum)

In addition, no changes have been made to my TT. Wouldn't it just be easier to move me to a different IP addr?

jamest63
04-09-2004, 08:57 PM
zelophedad,

I'm also on westhost39 and have the same problem with earthlink. Generally I get a warning after 4 hours, then a fatal error notification after 24 hours. Perhaps 2 of 5 messages will actually go through, either with or without the 4-hour warning.

Nice to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Earthlink is the only domain I have this problem with.

James

zelophedad
04-10-2004, 10:08 AM
James,

Your problem won't go away, if you want a good laugh, I can privately email you the back and forth correspondence to earthlink. They were totally uncooperative and pretty much said: "your server has a problem, we're not going to tell you what it is b/c it might breach our security if we tell you how we secretly block servers, so just try to figure it out on your own"

It was a disaster, I ended up having to beg WH to move me to another server.

Good luck