PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 Update

J3
02-26-2004, 01:37 PM
When will the remaining accounts be upgraded to 2.0?

miyami
02-28-2004, 08:01 PM
I've also being waiting patiently since August 2003 for my site to be moved from WH 1.0 to WH 2.0. I'm glad that I didn't have all the problems with the original transition. I've been putting off some upgrades until the move is completed. But now, I'm wondering when (or if) my site will ever be moved.

Is anybody from WestHost reading these postings? Are there any other WH 1.0 clients who are still waiting to be moved?

draven
02-28-2004, 08:21 PM
i too have been forwaiting many months for my site to be upgraded to 2.0. One of the reasons why I have not done anything to my site yet is because i think they are gonna upgrade it.

jalal
02-29-2004, 01:49 AM
After two months and a lot of emails, I've finally got one of my WH1 sites moved to WH2. They told me that the 'upgrade tool' will available "Real Soon Now", but they've been saying that since last December.
If you are thinking of pushing an account through the upgrade process, expect it to take a few weeks, by which time the 'upgrade tool' should be ready, so I wouldn't bother.

torrin
02-29-2004, 05:04 PM
I've been putting off some upgrades until the move is completed.

Is anybody from WestHost reading these postings? Are there any other WH 1.0 clients who are still waiting to be moved?

Yes, I'm in the same boat that you are. I want to install gallery (http://gallery.sourceforge.net), but not before the upgrade.

Hopefully it happens soon.

2fangs
02-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Same here. Been waiting since August 2003. If I am not wrong, that 2.0 notification tool thinggy was supposed to be available in the middle of Feb. Its going to be March tomorrow!

Allison A
03-01-2004, 11:59 AM
I have been waiting for several months as well, and what was once an annoyance is now starting to become a bit of a concern, especially since the month when the upgrade tool was supposed to be available has come and gone, and not only is there no upgrade tool yet, there is no update to the status of the upgrade tool either.

I am still recommending WestHost to clients I have that are moving their website here, and it's nice to work with the 2.0 platform on their accounts (though frustrating that I can't use it for my own), but I have to admit the delays are starting to get me a little concerned as I am holding off changes to my own website because of it.

J_M
03-01-2004, 07:11 PM
There are only so many sites that needed to be upgraded, that I can't imagine that it is worth the 3 months of development on an upgrade tool that won't be needed in the future. Seems to me that the 3 months could have been spent working on upgrading the sites, "the old fashioned way.

WestHost - BErickson
03-02-2004, 12:49 AM
The upgrade tool is currently in testing and considered Beta. A number of factors have contributed to it's delay. Not least of which, are divided development efforts among a number of current projects, including 2.0 network optimization, new site applications and the launch of our new package upgrades and improved Reseller program (recently announced here (http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1666&start=0)).

As previously noted, if your need to upgrade is urgent, please contact our support department and request an upgrade, as J_M puts it, "the old fashioned way". ;) We'd be happy to help you make the conversion a.s.a.p.

Hope this helps,

jalal
03-02-2004, 02:07 AM
As previously noted, if your need to upgrade is urgent, please contact our support department and request an upgrade, as J_M puts it, "the old fashioned way". ;) We'd be happy to help you make the conversion a.s.a.p.
Hope this helps,

Bevan, possibly its a different department from you, but the response to do an "old fashioned upgrade" can be in the region of weeks. Just today I have had an of upgrade completed which has taken nearly a month to put through.

There is some urgency in getting the upgrades through. I took out a Reseller package so that I could move all my sites over to it. The sites that are WH1 cannot be moved and therefore I am effectively paying double for them.
I can live with that for a month or so, but it has been nearly 6 months that I have been paying double for a handful of sites and that is not acceptable.

:(

wildjokerdesign
03-02-2004, 05:32 AM
I took out a Reseller package so that I could move all my sites over to it. The sites that are WH1 cannot be moved and therefore I am effectively paying double for them.

Jalal,

This is good to know I was going to try this with one of my clients to get them moved to 2.0. We have some upgrades to thier site we want to do that we have been waiting on. I thought this might be the easy way have getting it done. Guess we well hold out a bit longer and hope for the best.

WestHost - CRussell
03-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

You can complete a manual upgrade to 2.0 (aka old fashion upgrade) in a matter of days if you're quick on uploading all your files and setting things up on your new account. We can have the new 2.0 account setup for you in less than 48 hours once you give us authorization that you wish to manually upgrade your account.

Just something to keep in mind.

WestHost - BErickson
03-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Jalal and Wildjoker,

We do not want clients paying double for our services. However, we can't always assume their intentions for each account/site. We have many Resellers who have wanted to retain specific 1.0 and 2.0 accounts outside of their Reseller Package.

If your intentions are to transfer accounts to your 2.0 Reseller Program, but have not been able, because of 1.0, please contact me. I'm sure we can work something out regarding your double payments.

Regarding the manual upgrade process:
It is "manual" but shouldn't take weeks. We create a VPS, you transfer your files, we then change your DNS. I realize I'm oversimplifying it, and am aware that you (Jalal) had some other contributing factors that made the transition less than ideal, but that shouldn't normally be the case.

We still want to encourage those that have urgent need of upgrading to contact us.

Hope this helps,

Gene
03-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I just did the 2.0 "manual" upgrade and it was fairly painless. It took less than a day but ours is not yet an operational site. Only three problems; 1. We put files in www directory which is no longer correct; and 2. Had to go into cgi-bin and fix all the permissions; and 3. Had to setup all the email accounts again manually. If I'd know it would be this easy, I would have done it months ago (but remember--my site is not yet operational)
I've had about 6-7 technical support emails in the past two weeks and they've all been answered in 6-24 hours. That's not great but better than the place before (6-24 days). I even had one response by telephone in less than an hour!
Good luck to you all.

chayne02
03-24-2004, 08:04 AM
I am also torn between the added risk and time required in manually upgrading my account and the ever-sliding upgrade release date of the upgrade tool. I wish that they could simply provide more frequent feedback on when to expect the tool. If you step back and look at the big picture from the perspective of the older Westhost client base, then you can understand our frustration. It has been well over half a year since we were informed about the Westhost 2.0 upgrade. I am just venting a little bit. ;)

WestHost - MMellor
03-24-2004, 08:15 AM
Hello Chayne02,
We are actually right now in the final developing phase of the automatic upgrade. We are expecting it to be out within the next few weeks. We realize that this is frustrating for our clients and we are working on getting this resolved as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

You can also fill out the WestHost 2.0 Upgrade Request Form (https://corp.westhost.com/upgrade2/) which will give you advanced notification of when the tool will be available.

chayne02
03-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the reply. I filled out the Upgrade Request Form, some time ago. I will look forward to using the tool in the next few weeks. I do like that Westhost has done several free account options upgrades and that you are striving to always provide more for your clients. Those are the main reasons I stay a loyal client.

Lorel509
04-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi,

I manage about 14 client sites on Westhost. Six of them were moved to WH2 last Oct. However I still have 4 accounts still on WH 1 including my own.

I just filled out the form requesting to be notified when the upgrade tool is available for my own site but how about my 3 other clients? I would prefer that they not be upgraded at the same time as mine as I have several sub directories on my own site and it may take a while to upgrade.

Lori

Allison A
05-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Can someone please give us a status on the WestHost 2.0 upgrade?

Thank you.
Allison Andrews
www.soccercityusa.com

wildjokerdesign
05-13-2004, 03:57 PM
If you would be comfortable with moveing your site manually you might want to go ahead and request a manual upgrade. They create a new account on WH 2.0 that you can access and upload your site to. You then contact them once you have done this and they switch the DNS. Not really too hard I have done it a couple times. Last comments from WH on this was that they where getting close but not willing to set a time limit on it. They also suggest that if you have a need now to got he manual route.

jalal
05-14-2004, 02:09 AM
I submitted a request for a manual change on the 3rd May, but still no go yet.
Which could mean they are getting close...

wildjokerdesign
05-14-2004, 08:05 AM
That does sound like a good sign.

torrin
05-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Good. I'd like to see the new features, but the update isn't important enough for me to request it and waste westhost's time when they could be doing other things (like fixing the routers).

ccwebb
05-19-2004, 03:18 PM
It has been nearly three months since J_M posted this message:

There are only so many sites that needed to be upgraded, that I can't imagine that it is worth the 3 months of development on an upgrade tool that won't be needed in the future. Seems to me that the 3 months could have been spent working on upgrading the sites, "the old fashioned way.

Since it is three months later - we have to change the 3's in the quoted message to 6's and J_M's comment and question still applies!

Charlie

JDE
05-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Charlie,
On Wed Nov 19, 2003, I posted a count of 135 days since the launch of 2.0., I'm sure it's been more than 6 months. I guess Westhost is holding off for 2.0b, 2.0c, 2.0d, 2.0e Etc.

I figure we are a mere months away from 2.1

This reminds me of my attempts at installing spamassassin, I was hell bent on having the newest version. Problem was they were updating it faster than I could install.

My Point? There comes a time when you have to stop and settle for what works.

Obviously Westhost has not quite reached that time. Patience, patience.

Shawn thinks a request that has not been honored is a good sign??? In that case I had tons of good signs.

On the other hand I have a whopping amount of disk space courtsy of Westhost so I'm not complaining

Johnie

ccwebb
05-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Johnie:

Patience is not one of my virtues - but like you I try to think of all of the good things about WestHost.

Charlie

linkerjpatrick
07-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Umm. when will the automatic tranfer thingy to 2.0 be ready? We were in the process of switching our accounts to a reseller program but because we had a few sites that were still 1.0 (Our own business site included!) we can't transfer everything over. This is getting rediculous.

Personally I think in this situation Westhost should do the manual upgrades for their 1.0 customers if requested.

Please Westhost our business is depending on switching everything over to the reseller program. The longer the delay on the upgrade it means a loss of money both for my business and Westhost.

WestHost - MMellor
07-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Hello Linkerjpatrick,

If you take a look at : https://corp.westhost.com/upgrade2/ it has a verbatim answer to your question.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

linkerjpatrick
07-31-2004, 10:35 AM
I've seen that but I've also seen that for quite some time. We are wanting to switch to the reseller program (actually we tried doing that last week but got a message that some of our sites were still on 1.0) My wife manages the websites during the day and decided to back out pending the 2.0 conversion tool) However I feel I might could make the changes for 1.0 to 2.0 now. Is it really that hard and can serious problems occur?

Of course the main one I'm concerned about converting is our home business site and would like that one to stay up.

The other one is our church site which in not a high priority as far as business concerns go but I'd like to take advantage of some of the features like streaming server for audio recordings of sermons but I have to keep telling our pastor we are on hold until we convert to 2.0 .

What is the estimation? A few weeks, months, what?

I was actually prepared to handled to manual conversion but my wife to westhost to cancel the reseller subscription for the time being until the 2.0 conversion takes place.

Let me know I feel like we are in a holding pattern as far as our business is concerned. Since my wife is at home full time with the business I trust her judgement and choice but I sure would like to get on with things too if you know what I mean.

adpwl1
07-31-2004, 01:12 PM
Do your sites have any databaes or special things added?

I manually moved my 1.0 site over to my reseller package. No problems on my end.

I had a few email dist lists and stuff so I just grabbed those files and manually entered the lists again.

The only problem is that WH does not allow two domains with the same name to exist in the WH system.
This means that one domain needs to be disabled before you can create it in the Reseller package, meaing a slight down time. You migh tbe able to work with WH staff to get around this.

Let me know if you would like some help.

wildjokerdesign
07-31-2004, 03:02 PM
I think that if linkerjpatrick first upgrades the accounts to 2.0 that in the move to a resellers account he can ask WH to move them with the change.

linkerjpatrick like Andy said that if you do not have anything special added to the sites it is not to hard to move them manually to 2.0. When you do it the new 2.0 account is set up and you can upload files and stuff to it before they make the DNS change. That way you can make sure things are running pretty much the way you want them to on the 2.0 account before the change happens. Then it is just a matter of the DNS changes takeing effect for the transfer to be complete. We can help you with any snags you may encounter.

linkerjpatrick
07-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Do your sites have any databases or special things added?

I manually moved my 1.0 site over to my reseller package. No problems on my end.

Well Yes, I have some databases for calendars and similiar script stuff but nothing overly complicated. Westhost would not allow us to move our domains over to the Reseller program unless they were 2.0. How did you do it?

linkerjpatrick
07-31-2004, 05:03 PM
Ok, I think what I will do is manually convert my least critical website to 2.0 and then I will see about converting my own website to 2.0 after that and then do the reseller thing.

wildjokerdesign
07-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Do you have phpMyAdmin on your 1.0 account? That should make it it possible for you to move your database if it is mysql. If it is just a flat file then that should be real easy to back up and move.