PDA

View Full Version : WSUSAGE Questions

jim
02-17-2004, 10:42 AM
I have some questions about what WSUSAGE reports mean?

The following quotes are from my January report.

Executive Summary
46,947 unique visitors came to the site, as determined by the number of unique IP addresses.

The web site received 44,671 visits.
How can there be more unique visitors than visits?

15 distinct types of documents were delivered.
Does types mean extensions/suffixes like .html, .gif, .jpg .htm, etc.?

The web server was linked to by 2,729 distinct pages on other web servers.

The web server was linked to by one or more pages found on 808 distinct web sites.
What’s the difference between “pages” and “sites”? Does this suggest the average web site that links to me has links from 3-4 different pages on the same site? If so, I think something's wrong. Off hand I don’t know of any web site that links to me from multiple pages on their same site.

When trying to investigate hits on the “Documents By Directory” listing I find I can’t go down but one level. For example, if the first level down is subdirlvl_1. When I try to go to /subdirlvl_1/ subdirlvl_2/ I get the error message

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /subdirlvl_1/ subdirlvl_2/ on this server.”
This error happens on all second level subdirectories. There’s nothing unique about them that I should be forbidden access anymore than the first level directories which I can address.

Does anyone have insight to these issues?

wildjokerdesign
02-17-2004, 04:02 PM
My guess on this one is that WUSAGE was able to tell when it was the same entity (like a search engin) that was maybe using mutiple IP's.
Think you are right on that one. Could also be talking about your actual web pages. How many do you have on your site?

What’s the difference between “pages” and “sites”? Does this suggest the average web site that links to me has links from 3-4 different pages on the same site? If so, I think something's wrong. Off hand I don’t know of any web site that links to me from multiple pages on their same site.
I would think this would have to do with search engins. A site would be say Google. On Google they could be "liinked" to your site in different areas depending on how they catagorized your site and pages.

I am not sure at all about the last one.

The reports can be a bit confusing that is why I use a service that figures it all out for me and puts it in a nice report I can understand. :)

jim
02-17-2004, 04:25 PM
My guess on this one is that WUSAGE was able to tell when it was the same entity (like a search engin) that was maybe using mutiple IP's.

But if they didn't visit the site how would the counter program know they were unique?

Think you are right on that one. Could also be talking about your actual web pages. How many do you have on your site?

If you mean individual HTML pages, I'm not sure. Probably 3-5 hundred.

The reports can be a bit confusing that is why I use a service that figures it all out for me and puts it in a nice report I can understand. :)

How much does the service you use cost? Does it count every access of every file including .exe downloads? I had somehow assumed only a counter operated by the webhost could do this?

jim

wildjokerdesign
02-17-2004, 04:50 PM
There is a service called Site Meter (http://www.sitemeter.com/). Once you sign up you get code to put on your web pages that keeps track of things. The basic service is free. For that you can see reports that tell you quite a bit. They do have an upgrad that you can pay for that gives you more otion in reporting like Referral Ranking and the abilithy to sort and view by Search Words. Some of the neat free tools are you can look at stats for the web browsers folks used while visiting your site and what they supported. You can also see a graph of the Time Zones the vews came from.

It sorts alot of things out for you. A person has to stay on a web page for a certian amount of time for it to count as a view. I think that Wusage is doing somehthing similiar when it is figuring out Visits versus visitors. Search engins are not really viewing your page like a person browsing does the read it and move on. Not sure how fast that is but don't think it takes long. I don't know if you have a PHPBB board installed on your account but if you do an have ever been in the admin section when a search engin visits you get what looks like a lot of visitors but they are all the same IP number or range and on different pages. One bot moveing very fast. :)