PDA

View Full Version : Simplest Way to Update

WontonDesign
02-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi,

I am looking for a way for a client to just fill out a form and it will update a page. Specifically, it is for mortgage daily rates. I need for her to be able to fill out a form (ie. about 5 or 6 rates) and it will update a page. I need to have a "Daily Rates" link on all the pages so it has to be a static page that can always be accessed by the website visitors.

Thanks,
Christopher

wildjokerdesign
02-17-2004, 05:19 AM
I have a couple accounts where I have used shtml and SSI. Then the client has a page they can go to where they fill out the form and submit it and it updates a text file that the main page is pulling the SSI form. You could most likely modify the FormMail script to do this. Instead of having it mail the output of the form have it print it to the text file. There are tons of scripts out there that would do something similiar.

Well here is one script I found in a search. Could not get in to the demo but looks pretty simple and may be a place to start. Also try doing a search for "web content management" and see what you come up with.
If you see some thing you like but are not sure about it I am sure you could post the link to the script and others could give an opinion on it.

http://www.thebilberry.com/greg/edittag/

WontonDesign
02-17-2004, 06:37 AM
WJD,

What do you think of postnuke.com? It seems a little too complicated for one simple task but I'd like to learn more about it anyways for the future. Do you think this would do the trick?

Thanks,
Christopher

MacToph
02-17-2004, 09:18 AM
What do you think of postnuke.com? It seems a little too complicated for one simple task but I'd like to learn more about it anyways for the future. Do you think this would do the trick?

I think PostNuke would definitely be overkill for this kind of a project, but may be useful if you are interested in using a CMS/portal for your website. The PostNuke community is generally helpful and their are lots of modules that you can use (or not use) to build a site.

You may want to consider Contribute as another way for a client to update a simple static page, you can check it out at the Macromedia website.

wildjokerdesign
02-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Good call on the PostNuke MacToph. Although I do not use it I have looked at it and it seems pretty easy to use and work with. Modules are nice. :) Wish I would have found it before I built may community at PAS. I think it would be overkill also for what you want to do WontonDesign. I have never used Contribute or looked at it but I have used some of Macromedia's other products and like them.

I found this link to Open source content management system list (http://www.la-grange.net/cms) Looks like there are quite a few options there. There are some articles on webrefrence.com that may be some help located here (http://webreference.com/authoring/languages/html/site.html). Even has an article on "The Joy of Dreamweaver MX" and one called "Web Editing Anywhere". The teaser on that one is...
Ken Boucher clues us in on some free new tools that allow you to edit and maintain your Web site from any browser in the world.

Free is always nice.