PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Mojo Mail

matts8008
02-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I installed Mojo Mail and am trying to setup a group list (where it automatically sends out emails sent to the list to all list members). I setup a list in Mojo, set it to group list, etc. I installed mojo_send.pl in /var/www/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo_send.pl and setup an alias to pipe e-mail to that address. However, when I send an email to that alias nothing happens. No bounced back messages, nothing. Has anyone else successfully setup a group mailing list with mojo?

wildjokerdesign
02-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Not sure if this applies but with some things you can not use an alias. You have to actually create an email/FTP user that has a directory. Once you set that up you can go back and disable FTP and the directory well still be there wich is needed.

ccwebb
02-16-2004, 05:52 AM
This is a side issue but mojo mail is no longer named that. Seems the owner has copyright issues with that name and his product is now called dada mail.

You might go here: http://mojo.skazat.com/
and get the latest version and then work from there.

Charlie

rs-michael
02-22-2004, 03:17 PM
I installed Mojo Mail and am trying to setup a group list (where it automatically sends out emails sent to the list to all list members). I setup a list in Mojo, set it to group list, etc. I installed mojo_send.pl in /var/www/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo_send.pl and setup an alias to pipe e-mail to that address. However, when I send an email to that alias nothing happens. No bounced back messages, nothing. Has anyone else successfully setup a group mailing list with mojo?

I was just doing the same thing and figured out that I needed to add a line to mojo_send.pl to make it work. Assuming your installation is the same as mine, add this:

push(@INC, "$lib/MOJO/perllib");

below the $lib/MOJO line, near the top of the script. It's strange that you don't get a bounced message, though. I was only able to figure this out by decoding the error message I received in the bounced message.

BTW, make sure that the list owner and admin addresses are not the same as the alias you set up for the list (which must be the same as the short name of the list, I think). Big time infiinite loop there, baby! :) (Yeah, that's what I did.)

Now that I've got this far, however, I'm not sure if list invitations are working properly. First, they didn't seem to be going out at all, but now the off-site ones are finally showing up, after an hour or so. (Maybe something up with the destination site.) Although the confirmation link is broken in the HTML version of the email (works in the plain text version!). The script seems to be inserting a line break in the middle of the URL. I'll look at that later.

Anyway, the problem that remains is that when sending invitations to local site emails, one address works, but another just never receives the messages. But I can send a message to that address from my email client and it shows up right away. This is a head scratcher, but may be easy enough to work around. If anyone has any ideas, though, please let me know.

Finally, does anyone know how to only send plain text messages from the web interface? There's an option to prevent email contributions from group members from including HTML, but I don't see anything for admin postings.[/code]

rs-michael
03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
OK, I'm convinced now that Mojo/Dada Mail is a poor choice for a list serve. (I know the author says that himself, so I'm wondering why WestHost chose to offer it as such.)

Here's a must do for any group list you set up in Mojo Mail: Enable the black list feature and add the list posting address to the black list. If you fail to do this, someone can (maliciously or accidently) go to the signup page and subscribe the list's address to the list, and create a infinite loop of subscription confirmation messages, to everyone on the list! What a mess! :x

That's not something that could happen with a real list serve package, but this package was never meant for that purpose and its security and validation checking are likely minimal. I'd like to see another option integrated into the WestHost panel, but in the meantime I will start looking into alternatives, such as majordomo or the MailGust package mentioned elsewhere in this forum.