PDA

View Full Version : Sendmail rejection works.... sometimes.

Armadillo
02-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Ive got sendmails access db set up to reject mail to my most heavyly spamed e-mail address. It works good, my spam is about half what it was before.
But, for some reason a few still get through to that e-mail address. Ive gotten five e-mails to the rejected address. No Cc's or multiple addresses are present.
I am using "spamedaddress@mydomain.com 550 Mail account disabled"

How is it possible for this mail to get around sendmails rejection?

jalal
02-09-2004, 01:52 AM
I've got an increasing amount of mail that comes to two or three addresses at once. So it may be To: badmail@domain.com and CC: okmail@domain.com

So one is rejected, one accepted and unless I look real close at the headers, it appears to have come to the bad mail address.

Armadillo
02-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah, Ive gotten a few of those with CC's and/or multiple addresses. I understand that. Ive tested it throughly.
The messages in question have no CC's and seem to be to only one address. They seem to have gotten past the rejection somehow.
:?

Armadillo
02-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Ok, I think I know why now. Jalal was right.
I just got another one of those e-mails. Here are the relevant parts of the header (edited)....

Received: ....by mydomain.com for <mydomain@mydomain.com>....
Reply-To: "Wyatt Justice" <spammer@spam.com>
To: Mae <rejected@mydomain.com>

If I add "To: rejected@mydomain.com REJECT" to the access.db will that take care of messages like these?

I should not doubt the wisdom of jalal.

jalal
02-10-2004, 01:42 AM
I'm not sure if that will work. I get lots of spam to falsified To: addresses so I don't think that sendmail evens sees the To: address.

From the excerpt above it seems to be getting delivered to mydomain@mydomain.com despite having a different To: address.

If all else fails you can turn on mail logging and see if that gives you any further information.

FZ
02-10-2004, 03:27 PM
You could use Procmail to check the Received header for one address (the "real" one or the one that the mail is being delivered to), and then check the To: header to see if it is a false address - if both conditions are satisfied, delete the mail. I do something similar: like jalal, I also get Spam To: account@domain and CC: anotheraccount@domain - I use Procmail to check if this is the case, and if it is, I know it is Spam and I /dev/null it...

Armadillo
02-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I thought about doing that with procmail, but I would rather reject it with sendmail. Ive also looked for a procmail recipie for comparing received-for and to: header info.

Has anyone tried using sendmail to reject mail that is sent directly to domain@domain.com?

If my e-mail program was using domain@domain.com to send mail, it might be a problem.
However, my ISP will not let me use my outgoing SMTP mail server. So, I send mail via their server and can set up my e-mail as whatever@domain.com.

wildjokerdesign
02-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Has anyone tried using sendmail to reject mail that is sent directly to domain@domain.com?

But doesn't all mail end up there at some point? I guess that is only if you use Aliases. If you have other full e-mail accounts setup maybe that would work.

kennbiv
03-31-2004, 02:25 PM
What is sendmail?

FZ
03-31-2004, 04:23 PM
Have a look at http://www.sendmail.org/email-explained.html

Basically, Sendmail handles mail on your account (incoming and outgoing). It's the program that receives connections from other mail servers to transfer/download mail that has been sent to you (and to make similar outgoing connections for you when you send mail).