PDA

View Full Version : 2 sites inaccessible with www. --hurting my biz bad pls help

LAM
02-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Two of my sites are inaccessible when surfed to as www.mysite.com. mysite.com (i.e., entering the site addresses into the browser w/o www)comes up fine, though. Obviously . . . most users won't think to do this, though (not to mention search traffic). This is a terrible problem as these two sites are crucial to my business, and my customers could well be freaking out! (Not to mention the lost biz and credibility.)

Assuming that I'll need help to resolve this, I've posed the following problem to tech support a couple of times, but haven't heard anything . . . if there's anyone else out there who has an idea of something I can try myself, I'll be all ears (and very grateful!).

THANKS!

dealwatcher
03-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Hey, hope you figured this out by now... if you have someone else might still benefit from an answer.

You can go into "Domain Management" on your C-Panel
Click on your domain name: yoursite.com
Click "New" to create a new sub domain
Set your subdomain name to "www" and the file location to yoursite.com's directory (like /var/www/html).

That's it.

jalal
03-23-2004, 01:37 AM
Dealwatcher.
You are right, but you shouldn't need to do this as it normally happens automatically, when you add (or create) a domain or subdomain then a 'www' alias is automatically created in the httpd.conf file.

i.e.:
ServerName mynewdomain.com
ServerAlias www.mynewdomain.com

WestHost - MMellor
03-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Hello LAM,

I just did a whois on your account to see where your Name Servers are pointed and they are not pointing at us. This is why if your domain is entered in without the www it doesn't bring up anything. If you let me know what your main domain is I'll tell you what Name Servers that you need to be on. Hope this helps and keep us posted.