PDA

View Full Version : catchall alias only seems to work for one of five domains

LAM
02-07-2004, 10:45 PM
my catchall alias only seems to work for one of my domains -- and not even the primary one. any ideas? any help appreciated!

wildjokerdesign
02-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Is the Catchall set in all the domains? If it is are you sending the catchall to that domains e-mail or an off site e-mail? Have theyever worked?

It is hard to say what may be the problem without more detail. I would start by trying to find what is different between the one that works and the ones that do not.

If they have never worked then it could be catchall is not set up on them.

If they did work and are now not working and you have not made any changes then I would say you should contact WestHost support to see if perhaps they have made changes that would have effected those accounts.

adpwl1
02-08-2004, 05:36 PM
I take it that all 5 domains are on the same Virtual server?

If so, there is an easy way to verify that the catch-all is setup correctly.

You can either FTP or SSH into your domain and navigate to /etc/mail

Download or view this file: virtusertable (not the one with .db).

Its best to view this with something other than notepad, I perfer TextPad.

You should see the following for each of the 5 domains. They will be scattered throughout the file.

@domain1 email
@domain2 email

If you can't find this for the other domains, something happened to mess it up, so you might have to add the catch-all in manually. If you need to do that, I can post instructions.

LAM
02-08-2004, 09:57 PM
I take it that all 5 domains are on the same Virtual server?

If so, there is an easy way to verify that the catch-all is setup correctly.

You can either FTP or SSH into your domain and navigate to /etc/mail

Download or view this file: virtusertable (not the one with .db).

Its best to view this with something other than notepad, I perfer TextPad.

You should see the following for each of the 5 domains. They will be scattered throughout the file.

@domain1 email
@domain2 email

If you can't find this for the other domains, something happened to mess it up, so you might have to add the catch-all in manually. If you need to do that, I can post instructions.

Thanks - they are all on the same VS. I will try the fix you suggested. Thanks for the help.

LAM
02-08-2004, 10:25 PM
I tried the suggestion above, but all the aliases look okay. I'm not getting any mail now except for one of my five domains ( the primary one). (To re-answer the other question, yes, this is all one virtual server.)

If any one can help . . . I'd be hugely appreciative. Most of my customers email me at one of the aliases. If I can't get those emails . . . I'm screwed.

jalal
02-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Have you turned on mail logging? If yes, have a look in the logs to see what is happening to the emails.

LAM
02-09-2004, 09:06 AM
A bunch of mail sent to aliases yesterday arrived this morning. I don't get it. Is a big lag in mail to aliases normal? I hope not!