PDA

View Full Version : Building a local database to upload

westmunc
02-07-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm the tech administrator for my high school's model United Nations, and I've just signed onto Westhost after a hellish experience with another hosting service (which as of yet still hasn't given me a code to transfer my domain name westmunc.org to Westhost, making things very awkward).

In any case, I was hoping to use OpenOffice (openoffice.org) as an MS Access-like frontend for constructing a delegate database -- but it seems that OpenOffice uses OBDC & JBDC for connections to MySQL, which Westhost doesn't seem to support. However, I -can- construct a generic dBASE dbf at home -- is there any easy way for me to export a database I build into mySQL without undue fuss (or get OO or some other GUI admin program to connect to a westhost database)?

(Since the domain name name transfer hasn't gone through, it's very difficult for me to use phpmyadmin, since it assumes that my address is westmunc.org, instead of the temporary address at whsites.net. I suppose I'll futz around with the PHP and set the address to the temporary one.)

wildjokerdesign
02-07-2004, 05:33 PM
(or get OO or some other GUI admin program to connect to a westhost database)?

(Since the domain name name transfer hasn't gone through, it's very difficult for me to use phpmyadmin, since it assumes that my address is westmunc.org, instead of the temporary address at whsites.net. I suppose I'll futz around with the PHP and set the address to the temporary one.)

phpMyAdmin well be the easiest if you can get going.

If you want to add some of your own modules or programs you may want to check this topic:
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1607

Also remember you need to install the GUI tools in your SiteManager.

westmunc
02-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks; I'm working on setting up tables with phpmyadmin now: ugly, but doable, I guess.

westmunc
02-07-2004, 07:41 PM
I'm getting this error message in phpmyadmin:

Error
The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been deactivated. To find out why click here

PMA Database ... not OK[ Documentation ]
General relation features Disabled

Is this something I introduced by fiddling with the phpMyAdmin config file so it'd work with the temporary domain name, or is it a Westhost limitation?

FZ
02-07-2004, 08:30 PM
I have the same thing - I think that is part of the WestHost (and PhpMyAdmin) default settings... Shouldn't be a problem if you don't know exactly what it means and you don't need to use it - I don't.