PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting e-mail headers

SJP
02-07-2004, 11:35 AM
I don't know that this is the proper place to be discussing this topic. but didn't know where else to put it. My web-site integrates with e-mail. I permit people to send one another anonymous e-mail by chopping off the identifying parts and passing everything else. Currently the way I do it is as soon as I encounter the MIME Version header I parse out the boundary and stop there. But as I discovered recently Web-TV (what a joke) inserts the MIME Version header even if the message isn't really MIME encoded! Actually I discovered this calamity earlier and so don't assume the e-mail is really MIME encoded unless I see a boundary after it. I don't think I really care if Web-TV breaks. Perhaps at one time it was a viable alternative to buying a real computer when the difference in price was hundreds of dollars, but now that computers are so cheap I don't think the argument is valid (a waste of money). I draw similar conclusions concerning lynx. I have been unable to find any raving reviews that were written in this century. My software works with Outlook Express and virtually every other e-mail program for the PC, but I'd like to maintain compatability with the Mac (Apple) platform too, since it too is a popular brand (and the real mccoy). Could someone who has a Mac or other Apple platform send me a e-mail message that was generated on it so that I might inspect the header? I'm looking for any MIME encoding to follow the MIME Version header as that makes the most sense. Web-TV for instance doesn't follow any logical layout. If the message is really MIME encoded then the information (like the Content-Type and boundary) appear before the MIME Version header and I'm not going to bother correcting my code if that's the only platform which is broken. Please send me a pm or post it here. Thanks.

SJP

SJP
02-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Nevermind. Never got to see the Mac header, but figure since Web TV is so back-ass wards if I redid my e-mail parsing code to be able to accomodate it I could hardly go wrong. BTW, microsoft has a free Web TV emulator. If any of you are wondering if your sites are compatible (I'll save you the grief - no) try it out http://developer.msntv.com/TOOLS/webtvvwr.asp

SJP