PDA

View Full Version : adding a domain to a different directory

persimmons
02-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Ok. I'm new, so I know very little. I have the 5 domain account, and I'm trying to add a second domain but do not want it pointed to my main website.

How do I add the 2nd site to a different directory in the domain management part of domain manager and in WS_FTP? I called Westhost, and the tech support guy said instead of using the default web root directory, www/htdocs, which is for site1.com, to customize it and call it www/site2, but I keep getting the message: "command set on domain failed".

What am I doing wrong?

Also, how do I create a new directory in WS_FTP? Do I click on MkDir? What do I type in the blank?

Help, please!

BlueSphere
02-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Once you login into FTP, you should probably navigate to your "/var/www/" directory. Inside of this directory you will create a new directory (for example "/var/www/site2") using the WS_FTP MKDIR option. This new directory you'll call site2. After this you'll use the domain management tool to create a new site, and map your new site to the newly created directory ("/var/www/site2") with using Custom directory option.

Hope this helps.

persimmons
02-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Thanks BlueSphere!

It seems to have worked. At least I didn't get the error msg. as before. Adding the /var made all the difference.

persimmons
02-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Well, I spoke too soon. My second site isn't working yet, but perhaps that's b/c changing the DNS or my adding it to the domain manager takes longer to propogate?

Guess I'll have to sleep on it and hope to see some progress in the morning.

wildjokerdesign
02-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Well, I spoke too soon. My second site isn't working yet, but perhaps that's b/c changing the DNS or my adding it to the domain manager takes longer to propogate?

Guess I'll have to sleep on it and hope to see some progress in the morning.

Yes it can take up to 24 hr to propagate. If you have all the settings right it should be up and running when you wake up.

persimmons
02-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Ok, the DNS changes seem to have gone through (the Westhost servers are listed when I do a Whois search), but there is still nothing showing up when I enter my URL (www.site2.com), except Google showing a link to my registrar, saying it's registered with them.

What is wrong? I FTP'd my files to /var/www/site2 and directed them to the same place in the domain management panel. :?

wildjokerdesign
02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
What happens if you simply use site2.com to access via your web browser? Does that work? If it does work then you may need to set up a www alias for site2.com. This should have happened automaticlly. It is a bit hard to know what is going on without the site urls for us to check out.

Here is another thread where the user is haveing the same problem that you may want to check out. We have gotten one of thiers to work but not the other yet. It might be good to watch that topic if we come up with anything. It also has a couple things you can check.
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1590

persimmons
02-05-2004, 02:34 PM
It doesn't work with OR without the www.

But I did add www as a subdomain of site2. I hope that was ok. It prompts me to enter the "root directory for the new subdomain". Is that the same as the main domain? "/var/www/html"? Or should it be "var/www/site2"

Thanks for your help with this. I looked at the other long and complicated thread, but his problem seems different from mine: his is a reseller account, whereas mine is the standard deluxe package with 5 domains, and he owns separate accts. for his domains, but I have to add my add'l 4 to my main domain account.

persimmons
02-05-2004, 03:01 PM
OK. I reached tech suppt. again, and he confirmed that the root dir should be /var/www/site2. And I'll have to wait a few hours for that to propagate.

But it turned out my problem was (also) that my index file said index.html.htm. I must have tried to edit the extension, not realizing it already had one.

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

skimber
10-23-2010, 03:58 PM
In case other people have similar issues, please refer to this thread with step-by-step instructions to add the new domains to the account and assign the web directory:
http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=14681