PDA

View Full Version : Email for second domain (alias)

humuhumu
02-02-2004, 03:12 AM
So, I my root domain is rootdomain.com. I've just added a second domain as an alias - aliasdomain.com - which points to a specific subdirectory in the site.

Question: how does email work for this new domain? Where does it get sent? How can I set up a catchall for aliasdomain.com so all email gets forwarded to my@email.com? Or, can I have a separate mail server for the domain somewhere else?

There's an option in the domain management that says 'use local mail server' but I'm not clear what exactly that does.

Have emailed support but just wondered if anyone knew in the meantime.

humuhumu
02-02-2004, 03:35 AM
After doing some more digging, I guess what I'm asking is:
- can I setup a separate MX record for a domain alias?
or
- is there some way of specifying a separate catchall so that mail sent to aliasdomain.com be forwarded to a particular email address?

humuhumu
02-02-2004, 05:44 AM
From the superb support people here, an answer:

Email for the domain alias works the same as for the main account. You set up aliases and email accounts in the Email/FTP Management section of the Site Manager. You can use 'aliasdomain.com' as the pop/smtp servers in your mail settings also. Since the two domains are hosted on the same account they are basically aliases for each other as far as email addresses are concerned. For example if you created an email account called 'webmaster' you could send email to webmaster@rootdomain.com or to webmaster@aliasdomain.com and it would be delivered to the 'webmaster' account either way. The way the server is set up by default there isn't a way to get the email to be delivered to a different location based on which domain it is sent to, meaning that webmaster@rootdomain and webmaster@aliasdomain can't be delivered to different locations. Every user on the account must have a unique username and since there is only one 'webmaster' account the email will only be delivered to that account. I have been told that there are some tricks that can be done to make it so that the email system will separate/sort the email depending on which domain it is addressed to but this isn't something that we offer support for. I hope that answers your questions but if you need more clarification or if you have any other questions please let us know.

adpwl1
02-02-2004, 06:15 AM
So, there is an issue with the way WH does email for the secondary domains.

Example: Primarydomain.com, say you create user1. An email address will be created for user1@primarydomain.com

When you create the second domain (seconddomain.com) an email address gets created called user1@secondardomain.com.

These email addresses are exactly the same. If I send an email to one or the other, it will exist in both.

So, to work around that, there has to be some manual intervention.

Take a look at this thread for some discussion and the solution. CK1 has a good work-a-round that is easy.

http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1407

I hope this helps you out and is what you were talking about.

benoist
10-20-2005, 10:36 PM
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1407

I hope this helps you out and is what you were talking about.

Yes, this is also what I need.. but unfortunately, this thread 1407 is misteriously not accessible... anyone got a link or can paste it here?

Thx!

b.

torrin
10-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe adpwl1 is referring to this post. Just as a side note the link he posted was valid in the days that this forum still used phpBB. vBullitin is in use now.

http://forums.westhost.com/showpost.php?p=18724&postcount=8

Don't forget to click on the thread link at that top so you can read the whole discussion.