PDA

View Full Version : Extremely new to MYSQL

mjohnson
02-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I need to create a very basic database. But I don't know how to access MYSQL, how to connect, create tables, access via a web page search, etc.

HELP! I cannot find anything under westhost to provide a starters tutorial.

Where can i find the basics of how to connect, etc.

Thanks in advance. :(

wildjokerdesign
02-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Go to your Site Manager and install phpMyAdmin. Then follow the link it provides once installed to the program and have a look around. On the opening page there are links to documentation. You can also create databases and manipulate them with the program. You well also have the benifit of being able to look at the code for that program which is a php script and seeing how it is connecting to mysql. You can also search for other php scripts that use databases and look to see how the handle it. This board uses a mysql database and you can install a version of it on your account in the SiteManager to play with and see how it connects.

jalal
02-01-2004, 04:04 PM
mjohnson
you don't say if you have any PHP or Perl skills, because you'll need something like that to access a database. And knowing that would help us point you in the right direction.

mjohnson
02-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I have coded in Access and have linked to databases on the web. I am failrly good at picking up new skills.

I haven't programmed in PHP, but my database would have about 4 fields to search on. Two if the field would be indexed.

One of the items I am unclear on is how would I connect to the database.

I am looking for some "mysql for dummies" type pointers. I understand I can create the database under the phpadmin app but how would I connect to it? via ftp, telnet, ????

Thanks for any guidance.

jalal
02-02-2004, 01:31 AM
You would connect to it through PHP.
There are gazzilions of tutorials for getting started with PHP and MySQL, try typing "php mysql tutorial" into google and check out the first few results.
As Shawn says, its easiest to setup the database through PhpMyAdmin and then access it from PHP.
If, when using Access, you are familiar with SQL, then you should have no trouble with MySQL.

One point of confusion for people moving over from MSAccess is the fact that all databases under *nix systems run as daemons. That means there is no graphical interface to them, they just run as a server and we, the users, have to connect to them with client programs, which can be a command line app like 'mysql' or through custom script coding through PHP or Perl.
This is different from MSAccess, which is a combined client/server with a fancy GUI.

mjohnson
02-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks to everyone that provided me some insight on where to start.

wiltech
05-06-2004, 10:21 AM
There are tons of great sites on PHP/Mysql programming.
Check http://www.phpfreaks.com/ Their articles have helped me a lot.
http://www.devshed.com is another great resource!

Good luck,
Kalin