PDA

View Full Version : Not a fan of Miva - Search Engine Indexing

visible soul
01-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Hello all-

Well I've been hosted with Westhost for close to 6 months now and really my only complaint is that I don't like Miva.

Every page of my site is being indexed by Google et al. (including my php forum) except my store which is the most important! I moved inventory over to eBay because of this.

Not to mention that Miva is also a hideous mess to try to customize.

I was using Mal's but I needed to keep track of 1-of-a-kind items in my inventory so I switched to Westhost and Miva.

How have you guys solved this indexing problem?

Thanks for your help.
-DKC-

visible soul
03-15-2004, 10:23 PM
OK I'll answer my own question. :o) I scrapped MIva and went with OsCommerce which someone around here mentioned. I find it to be much easier to configure by editing the source files than Miva is using the Admin panel and I don't know anything about Php. I also made a static home page that looks just like the store pages so that I can see if the php pages are indexed before I move OsCommerce to my root folder. Will the store pages get indexed? I should know soon.

-DKC-

Glocom
04-27-2005, 10:38 PM
I would like to know how OSCommerce worked out for you. Did it allow you to create the website you hoped for? Did it perform well with search engines? Thanks.

visible soul
05-10-2005, 01:35 AM
I would like to know how OSCommerce worked out for you. Did it allow you to create the website you hoped for? Did it perform well with search engines? Thanks.
I love osCommerce. I was able to skin it exactly the way I wanted. I found many add-ons for free. Every page of my cart is indexed by Google.

I have since set up Miva again for clients (since I always recommend Westhost :D ) but the only thing I like about Miva that I haven't seen for OSC is database encryption (which I don't need since I don't store credit card numbers).

Admittedly, my store is low volume since my attention has been directed away from retail and I have been focusing on web design etc. But I have seen many large retailers using OSC.

Glocom
05-10-2005, 02:38 AM
... http://www.ecommercetemplates.com/

Unless someone can give me a good reason why not to (anyone...). After looking at the options, it looks like it's well worth the price to buy a premade template from them. It's not expensive and comes with the functions I need built in. It's also PHP based and should be indexed well, I think.

wildjokerdesign
05-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Glocom,
It looks like a nice deal to me. I like the fact that it it is easy to integrate into your existing site if you want to. From the tutorial they supply only takes createing about five files based on your existing site the simply include some php tags. Sweet. Most programs seem to make you start with thier look and work the other way. I also like the fact that they have templates for Dreamweaver and Front Page. I couldn't find anything in their information to suggest there would be any problems setting it up on a VPS. If you go for it let us know how you like it.

visible soul
05-10-2005, 11:01 AM
... http://www.ecommercetemplates.com/

Unless someone can give me a good reason why not to (anyone...). After looking at the options, it looks like it's well worth the price to buy a premade template from them. It's not expensive and comes with the functions I need built in. It's also PHP based and should be indexed well, I think.
Intersting option I have not seen before. Bookmarked. :)

jmh
09-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Hello all-

Well I've been hosted with Westhost for close to 6 months now and really my only complaint is that I don't like Miva.

Every page of my site is being indexed by Google et al. (including my php forum) except my store which is the most important! I moved inventory over to eBay because of this.

Not to mention that Miva is also a hideous mess to try to customize.

I was using Mal's but I needed to keep track of 1-of-a-kind items in my inventory so I switched to Westhost and Miva.

How have you guys solved this indexing problem?

Thanks for your help.
-DKC-
Miva Merchant works extremely well for search engines and is easy to customize if you know how or have access to someone who does. Looks like it is too late. Sorry you didn't have anyone step up and help you before it was too late.

Jason

MFlow_Mark
11-16-2005, 05:10 PM
I scrapped MIva and went with OsCommerce which someone around here mentioned.

Good choice :) I will spare you all the horror of my Miva experiences, but Miva is the worst software package I have EVER encountered in my life and I have been doing IT for at least 15 years. And don't even think about getting support from them without a support contract (Seems to be the norm in software today). I expect a company to support a product that cost nearly $2500.00 and took a month to install (By Miva).