PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Restoring phpBB database

Turtlewebs
01-30-2004, 06:10 AM
Hi all, I'm moving one of my sites from another host to here and want to move my forum over too. So I installed phpBB thru the site manager and logged in to the forum to "restore database" effectively moving my forum to this new host. Only one problem.. it hangs for ages and ages and then just says 'no file was uploaded' - anyone know what I can do?

wildjokerdesign
01-30-2004, 06:37 AM
You well have better luck if you go ahead and install phpMyAdmin through your Site Manager and then use it to move your database. Even using phpMyAdmin you need to break the database up in to about four sections. I have done this with a couple phpBB databases and it has worked well. This is not really ideal but is a way to get it done.

I think the problem has to do with the upload file size and time settings in the php.ini but not sure. I remember at one time someone was trying to change them but can not remember if they had any luck or not.

Turtlewebs
01-31-2004, 09:46 PM
I cannot see how to do this in phpmyadmin, for one thing I can't even create a new database because it tries to connect to www. and the www. isn't working for my website on westhost and I've seen it described on a phpbb help board but the links he said to use don't even appear in myphpadmin here. :(

wildjokerdesign
01-31-2004, 11:06 PM
Is your account with WestHost a Static IP or a Name Based? It you have a static IP you can manipulate the phpMyAdmin code to use it instead of the domain name. The only other option would be to wait until you switch your domain to point to the WestHost servers and then us phpMyAdmin to move youre database. If I remember right the file that phpBB saved your database in is simply a text file that has the sql to add the info to your database here. I well check my files tommarow and get back with more details and do some checking to see if maybe there are some other options for you. I am sure it is possible it is just finding the way since your domain is not pointed to WestHost yet.

Turtlewebs
01-31-2004, 11:26 PM
Only one site is IP based, this one and the others are name based unfortunately.

I can get to the admin using just the http:// of course whenever it tries to do anything it uses www so it doesnt work. However, the way I've read u can restore your forum database, the description didn't fit what i saw of myphpadmin at all, so I can't see how it can be done.

Um.... also, because I couldnt get it to create a database... i used the only empty one in there "test" - i figured it was ok to use and didn't have much choice not being able to create one :oops:

wildjokerdesign
01-31-2004, 11:30 PM
If you installed phpBB on the account via the SiteManager it should have add the phpbb database sturcture for you. Let me see if I can grab an example off my other compute to give you and idea what things will look like.

Turtlewebs
01-31-2004, 11:35 PM
I tried that, it worked but the restore wouldnt work. I then freshly installed it in the /forum/ directory, which is where i'd prefer as that's where it was on my site at my old host.

Either way, my database is only 5mb, but I still cannot get it to restore.

Actually, I'd just be happy for my website to be online at this stage

wildjokerdesign
01-31-2004, 11:44 PM
INSERT INTO phpbb_auth_access VALUES (5, 10, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0);

If you can open up the original file that you down loaded from your other phpBB there should be a long list of stuff like the above in it. If you can't get the whole thing to upload then once you can get into phpMyAdmin and it your domains have be transfered so the www links work then what you do is first select the phpbb database that the SiteManager created when you installed phpbb through it. Then you click on SQL tab at the top of the page. There well be a box where you can paste the sql command into it and then hit Go I think it is. You need to look close at the file if you do it this way. Below is a bit more of the other stuff that can be in the file.
#
# Dumping data for table `phpbb_banlist`
#

#
# Dumping data for table `phpbb_categories`
#

INSERT INTO phpbb_categories VALUES (3, 'Name of Catagory', 10);

#
# Dumping data for table `phpbb_config`
#

You are looking for stuff that does not have # before it those are comments and you do not want them. Notice it tell phpMyAdmin to insert the info into the table like phpbb_categories and then what it wants it to put in there. Once you can see the Structure of the board database it well make more sense. Also notice that there was a comment above about dumping data into the phpbb_banlist table and nothing after it. That was because the original database had no entries in that table.

Remember all of the above if through phpMyAdmin and not the Board restore program.

wildjokerdesign
01-31-2004, 11:57 PM
I just left a post in the other thread for you. It is after 1am here and I need to get some sleep but I well check back tommarow and see where you are with things and if there is anything more I can to maybe get you going. I well try to do some screen shots for you also... I know that always helps me.

Turtlewebs
01-31-2004, 11:57 PM
:shock:
You're talking to someone who doesn't know anything about databases or PHP here (yeah, i should be put in charge of websites (NOT)).

I'll wait till the site is up.. well, until www works and then try to get it all working. Thanks for the info WJD.

wildjokerdesign
02-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Click on a database name in the left frame, the properties will be displayed. Click on the Tab in the right frame that says SQL. You then have the window that well allow you to type or paste the sql or you can choose to have it read an sql file. Your back up of the Board is in the formate it can understand. You can use the browse button to find it on your local computer. If when you backed it up on your other server you zipped it then you need to select that option here if not leave it on the default setting. If you are still haveing a timeout problem you can try to upload the file via FTP and in the same spot instead of browseing on your local computer simply type in the path where you uploaded it to on your site. Have not tried this but I assume it would want the full path so if you had uploaded the file to your phpBB2 directory which is the default when you use SiteManager to install the board then you would type in /var/www/html/phpBB2/thenameofthefile.ext the ext well be sql or zip depending on how you saved it.

If you can not get this to work you are welcome to PM me and I can give you my e-mail and info so you could send me your database and info and then I can do it for you. It really is simple and should only take a couple mins.

(http://www.yourdomain.com/plugins/PhpMyAdmin/Documentation.html)
That is where you can find the help page for phpMyAdmin. Simply replace yourdomain with the domain name that you have phpMyAdmin installed on. This link is also on the Home page of phpMyAdmin.

UPDATE:For those who are reading this and would like to do this via SSH you can type the following
mysql databasename < backupfilename.sqlYou do need to be in the directory that the backupfile is in. You would replace databasename with the name of the database the default would be phpbb I belive (been so long since I used the defaults) You can check this via phpMyAdmin or it is also in the config file for your phpBB board. There well be no output if it works you well just be given a new prompt. This is if you did not choose the option to zip the backupfile. If it is zipped you would need to unzip it first. There most likely is a string you can input in SSH that would do it and then run the mysql command but have not looked that up yet.

Turtlewebs
02-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks..... I was actually looking around in there (painfully) and kinda figured that's what I'd have to do.

Just one problem

I still can't get to my sites using www....... so until I can, I can't do a single thing about the forum.

I appreciate your help WJD, if you have MSN add me - I'll PM you my sign on.