PDA

View Full Version : Try AutoDiary.net

GoRaiders007
01-21-2004, 09:36 PM
www.autodiary.net
Tell me what you think if you have some time to surf. Unfortunately it requires a login. A sample user, John Q Public, is set up with an id of 'adtest1@autodiary.net' and his password of 'adtest1'.

I know some links aren't using pretty graphics yet, but that will come. Do you find the site intuitive to navigate, and to use? Do you find it usefull? Did you experince any funny or mangled pages/images? (oddly enough I had one user runnng WinXP that didn't dispay the top banner).

Thanks,
James Donaghy

jalal
01-22-2004, 03:13 AM
Seems to work from here.

The one thing that I miss from the navigation is clear feedback about where I am on the site. A few clicks in and I was lost.
You need a breadcrumb trail along the top and/or some indication in the menu about where you actually are at present.

torrin
01-22-2004, 07:42 AM
A couple of comments.

When you click add a service record, today should be the date that it starts with, not January 1, 1990. Most of us haven't even had our cars that long. Likewise for add a new vehicle.

Check the spelling of gasoline.

As for the questions you asked, I thought that it was very easy to navigate and I think it's useful. I wanted to do something like that for myself, but you beat me to it. :) Not that you asked for feature requests, but it would be nice to see your average miles per gallon. You'd have to ask for gallons of gas though. Anyway, nice site.

GoRaiders007
01-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I actually thought of some of your suggestions (like the bread crumb trail, and the default date), so maybe I'll go ahead and implement that one.

Torrin,
As far as gasoline, well, that was a category that is unique to that user. I didn't really want people to track their gas mileage b/c I thought the db would grow too large with so many entires. It was more to test some short time interval computations.

Thanks much for your comments.
-James

wildjokerdesign
01-22-2004, 09:07 AM
James, nice site. I was wondering what your target audiance is. I say that because the design and look does not seem to be the typical car user site and wondered if that was intentional.

The interface worked well for me. I did notice the things that Jalal and torrin mentioned. I kept looking for a link to an overview that would show say how best to set up your Diary. I am one of those folks who can be really bad at keeping up on my car care. Wonder if you could do a short tutorial that would be say something like "Refer to your owners manual to create your car maintnance schedual. I did just do a quick scan but it looked like you would first input the infromation for your car and then go and set up all the different jobs you where wanting to keep track of. Am I right about that? I only say that because right at first I thought maybe all you did was input your car and a database was checked to tell you what the maintnace would be on that car. Not very realistic on my part since that would have to be one "big" database and really did not take me long to realize that but some users may not catch that. Like I say I may have missed that and since I used the test user it may be that they get that information when the first register.

I think you have a good concept that folks well use.

torrin
01-22-2004, 09:50 AM
As far as gasoline, well, that was a category that is unique to that user. I didn't really want people to track their gas mileage b/c I thought the db would grow too large with so many entires. It was more to test some short time interval computations.

That's cool, I didn't realize that each user had their own categories. I just rechecked the site and I see that I just missed the add category link. Cool! 8)

So the idea here is the put in your past service items and it will predict future service items?

GoRaiders007
01-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Ok, from some of your comments I think I should probably set up a help page as a tutorial of how to use the diary.

But yes, you guys are on the right track. You set up you car info (make, model, year purchased etc.), then enter your service items into the diary (date/mileage/category etc.). When you create the vehicle information, a set of default Service Categories are setup for that vehicle. You can then edit Categories to your liking, or create new ones.

Without any service entries, it would have no idea about your average mileage and thus couldn't make an accurate prediction of due dates. So it would tell you what services are due (from FutureCast, as well as an email Alert), but the predictions in that case would be based on months instead of mileage.

Well, I can see after this explanation that I better get on the users manual/help page.

Oh and as far as the look of the design. Well I always try to balance a professional look with a fun experience. The audience is definately the general public (not necessarily car professionals). The cartoon-ish stylke graphics was just something that I was trying to balance against a serious subject.

Thanks,
James

wildjokerdesign
01-22-2004, 12:59 PM
I think you have hit right on the nose with your design. It does give the impression that is not simply for car professionals but for all car owners.

zoink
03-01-2004, 02:51 PM
You have quite a good site, but a few things I think you could improve from a visual design perspective are:

- Spacing : quite a few items just don't line up right and some are just a little to close together (example: the google ads don't line up with the top of the nav bar on the adjacent side)

- Fonts : The font face you'r using in most of the images doesn't really "work" I think you need to use something cleaner like Verdana, Arial, Tahoma etc.

- Graphics : You could do with some higher quality graphics since the clipart your using does look a tad generic and low quality (maybe try inmagine.com or other stock photography/graphic sites)

GoRaiders007
03-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Zoink,
Thanks for input on my site. I'll check the graphics you recommend. I got most of mine from getty images. I've played around quite a bit with fonts and found it really depends on browsers and OS. Maybe I'll experiment some more.

As for lining up, I'm not sure I can find any problems. THe google ads being lowere than the menu column is done on purpose. I wanted the menu to be more prominant to the users than were the ads.

-James