PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else down?

erich
01-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Good morning.

Today, Jan 20 at 08:15 CST, our website and e-mail are down. Westhost's Network Status page shows no problems and I have seen no other posts about people being down.

I'm wondering if it is just us.

Thanks,

Erich

devilsrule.com
01-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Yes, and this is seriously getting ridiculous.

Bill

devilsrule.com
01-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Has anyone called in? Are they aware of the problem yet? If I don't here a yes soon, I'll call..

Bill

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Yep seems there is a problem this morn. My sites where down but are back up but slow to load.

jalal
01-20-2004, 07:20 AM
But I find it SO annoying that the network status page tells me everything is OK...

8(

erich
01-20-2004, 07:21 AM
I'm on hold now. And I've filed a ticket...not that I could receive their e-mail reply. Yes, I did leave a phone number.

Erich

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:23 AM
But I find it SO annoying that the network status page tells me everything is OK...

8(

They have mentioned before that it is not 100% accurate. Maybe they should just take the page down.

Ok can you guys belive this.... even I am getting a bit annoyed at this.

hipstergk
01-20-2004, 07:27 AM
site & email down here as well for at least the past 45 min.

nikeairjordan
01-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Yeah I'm down too - is it routing again? As all the new boxes seem to be down?

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Has anyone tried thier Chat support? Half the time I can not get it to work.

erich
01-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Chat is conveniently offline.

Still on hold...in a que...

Erich

devilsrule.com
01-20-2004, 07:30 AM
I have been a WestHost customer for just 2 months now.. I am not impressed. Is this just a particularly bad time for them? I read that the migration to '2.0' did not go so smoothly.. and my site performance is not that good..

This recent downtime (not just today), is unacceptable -- tell me this is a fluke, it won't happen again, the peformace of my site will improve -- that I should not go through the hassle of moving my site.

Bill

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:32 AM
erich, Let us know if you want one one of us to take over calling and wating on hold. I figure the less of us that try the more likely some one weill get in.

erich
01-20-2004, 07:33 AM
Just got through to Tech Support. He said they are aware of the problem and their "tech" thinks it is a denial of service attack on their servers.

That is all the info he had at this time.

Erich

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Bill,

It is up to you but I would give them a chance. They do seem to be trying to get things back to normal and yes it is a fluke for pre 2.0 but since then there has be some problems. If it is the same problem as a week or so ago it is something they are aware of and trying to fix.

nikeairjordan
01-20-2004, 07:38 AM
For God's sake - my primary domain has indepedent DNS and a backup MX but I have other domains which uses Westhost's DNS - and it is totally dead!

BOTH DNS DEAD, AND IN THE SAME DATA CENTER?

NO BACK-UP MX AS STANDARD?

I've been with Westhost for a long time, but how they can even begin to talk about stability and redundancy without even simple things like multipl location DNS and backup MX in place is beyond me.....

Tom

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:39 AM
While we are waiting if you have not already you might want to fill out the survey on service that they have up right now. https://corp.westhost.com/survey0104/ I know it may not be the best time answer questions on service but then again it well give them an idea of what folks feel when the service is out.

MacToph
01-20-2004, 07:42 AM
This is actually the second time this week that my site has been down- the first time was only 5 minutes for a server restart, but this really is getting ridiculous.

It is interesting to me that the Westhost website never seems to be down- I want the same service package that they are using for themselves!

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:45 AM
I am kind of glad thier site is seperate from the rest. At least when things go down we have a way to get info. Can you imagin if we could not get on the forum and find out what was happening.

On the first page erich mentioned he got through to WH tech and they are aware of the situation and that they feel it is a service denial attack.

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 07:56 AM
I just checked the NetStatus page and servers are showing down.

Same time I noticed this
http://webmail.westhost.com

If you go there you can check your e-mail by typeing in username@yourdomain.com and your password.

I did not know about this before. Anyone else know about this or is it new?

hipstergk
01-20-2004, 07:57 AM
our site just came back up! i hope it's gonna stay up!

mmcrorey
Just to let you know...my sites and email are back up now...

erich
We're up and running for now.

Yes, that webmail has been there. Unfortunately, it seems to log me out at odd times and runs pretty slow. The best webmail I have found is www.ilohamail.org.

Erich

wildjokerdesign
01-20-2004, 08:00 AM
I may have been wrong about it working when your account server is down. Since my sites are now back up and I may have tried when they where back up.