PDA

View Full Version : Cant use Firebird anymore :(

firebirdfan
01-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Its been real speedy to use the Firebird browser to manage my reseller accounts. but of late the browser doesnt response to the control panel.

The problem, once logged in - I go to the accounts section click on it, the list of domains comes out & another pop out box with a Please Wait sign on it. The please wait sign doesnt dissapear & cant logout either, so you can say that Firebird is not responding to the new interface scripting or wat ?

I love my firebird, with IE there's no prob. So is it some scripting that WH has changed ?

wildjokerdesign
01-11-2004, 08:10 PM
It could be. I think I remember reading some where that they suggetsted using the current versions of IE or Netscape. In a way I can understand this. As a web designer I find it hard keeping up with all the browsers and changes and the two mentioned above seem to be pretty much trying to keep up with each other. I always try to design so that any browser can read the pages but it seems that more and more alot of the scripts and such are somewhat dependent on the two and the newest versions. I think in part it stems from the avarage user wanting all the bells and whistles. I even like some of them. I used to be a hold out even for the older versions and browsers but....

I even read a notice on my Banks web site today that IE version 5 or around there was no longer going to support the security features and that if you used Netscape it needed to be current. I still have mutiple browsers on my computers but find myself using IE current more and more.

holtyboy
01-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Yeah I've found a few features in the WH2.0 control panel don't work with the standard Mac browser: Safari. Flicking over to Netscape, and everything works fine.

<-- R O B -->
01-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi I just tried loggin onto my reseller account with firebird 0.7 and didn't have a problem!

As far as I'm aware Netscape, Mozilla and firebird all use the Gecko engine - so "in theory" they should all work if one of the others works :wink:

As for sites not working on multiple browsers - its tricky. I check all sites I do in opera, firebird, mozilla, IE (6, 5.5 and 5) - and its a pain to get layouts looking good on all sites.

I found this excellent site that deals with indiscrepancies between the major browsers with respect to their implementation of CSS, DOM and Javascript:

http://www.quirksmode.org/

wildjokerdesign
01-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks Rob for the link. I hope you do not mind but I added it to my board and gave you credit. Looks like a real handy link to have around.

<-- R O B -->
01-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Hey cool - no problem on the link (its not my site after all :wink: )

firebirdfan
01-13-2004, 01:56 AM
Strange that 0.7 worked find for you, I just upgraded from .6, & it still had the same loading problems of the .6 - could it be that .7 v is still using the old engine ? I dont know but previously months ago when I just joined WH, I couldnt use opera, but now it worked fine. I prefer to use opera then, will see if i can see what's the problem.

How about Lynx :) anyone tried login with Lynx :) -- just joking

<-- R O B -->
01-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Very odd

I just reinstalled the latest nightly build (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031216 Firebird/0.7+) and it still works for me :S

Whilst on the subjuct of firebird - have you looked at this plug-in :

http://chrispederick.myacen.com/work/firebird/webdeveloper/

It has lots of useful tools for website development - such as resizing the broswer window, validating the html code, css and accessibility

firebirdfan
01-13-2004, 02:21 AM
mine is (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007 Firebird/0.7)

I spot that you are using 1.6b maybe that could be the problem.

I'll try downloading that & see.

Thanks for the link, I sure like those special tools for dev. which I have installed some on Opera. Alternative browsers are way of the future then, but the problems mentioned - could it be of bad scripting on the WH control panel end ?

firebirdfan
01-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Sorry guys actually my problem was that I accidentally disable java :)