PDA

View Full Version : User Change Email Passwords

computersmarts
01-11-2004, 06:53 PM
We wanted to let our employees change their email passwords in the webmail front end we have written. One way we thought of doing this would be running shell commands, but that may not work.

Does anyone have any insight to this, and how it can be accomplished? Any help would be appreicated. Thank you.

bobrob
01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
I've also been trying to do this, but have been blocked at every turn so far.

There is a mod you can do to Neomail 1.25 (the version westhost installs) at http://web.xux.info/neomail/neopass.txt , but it relies on the chpassword program, which isn't in the 2.0 build (as far as I can tell).

I haven't even figured out how to change my OWN password in any way except the site manager, so this might be a lost cause (or a restriction of the VDS). Usermod, passwd, chpasswd all seem to be mysteriously lacking from the system. Which is even more odd, as my account seems to own all the req'd password files (passwd, shadow, etc).

Bob

computersmarts
01-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Can westhost comment on this? I am looking to implement this quickly. I need to allow employees to change their passwords.

bobrob
01-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Looking more through the forums, several people have mentioned that you can always use:

http://your.domain.com/users

Which allows users to change their passwords. Apparently this is an underadvertised, but incredibly useful feature of the Site Manager. Normal users can log into this stripped down Site Manager and change their password.

However, it does have the WestHost branding on it, if that is a problem (it is for me, but maybe not for you).

Hope this helps!

Bob

firebirdfan
01-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Yes Bob got it right by saying that htt://domain.com/users is where you change your email password. Other than that you'll have to hack neomail which I dont know, but would be nice if WH in the future would replace Neomail which is not longer in development to Openwebmail, it's a all in one package - cool, havent tried installing on WH before..

computersmarts
01-13-2004, 08:34 AM
My domain does not have a /users/ . And YES it WILL be a problem if it's WestHost branded.

computersmarts
01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
After a ticket to support asking how they accomplished this. I was shut down by them saying they do not support this. I have been getting that a lot lately, I am starting to wonder what WestHost does support. So, I am giving them another chance, otherwise I will be signing up for another host. WestHost support is sucking more and more these days. It's either they "do not support" anything. Or I need to wait for a SysAdmin. What's that all about. This can't be a hard thing to accomplish, I just need to know how the server is setup.

So much for WestHost giving more of the control to the end user. B.S. And I do not mean boy scouts!

firebirdfan
01-13-2004, 06:34 PM
Dude I understand your frustration, as I also previously had before. Most people hosting here I realise have taken the applications provided as the norm not needin additional bells & whistles. or either that they know how to tweak the system to their liking.

It's either way, with regards to the email password change system they have provided, - if you really dont like it then you can either tweak the system/ install new mail system(openwebmail) - all this will add to your time if not, you might probaly want to look around for another solution. BUt I must say if you know what you want & what you need there wouldnt be so much frustration... & they are a real bang for the buck..

computersmarts
01-13-2004, 07:03 PM
I understand and appreciate your response: However there are several problems.

1) We made it clear with WestHost with what we wanted to attempt BEFORE adding two domains to our account. Now we are having problems after we paid $20 (too expensive) to add the domains.

2) You're right I can go ahead and custom install something on the server. The only problem here is I will need root access to my account or at least privileges to modify system files. And also, WestHost has made it clear to us that they can not guarantee that our "custom" software will not be messed up by them during regular maintenance and upgrades. Hmm.. so I will have to reinstall... reinstall... reinstall. No thanks! I'll go else where first. Which sucks that WestHost does not care about a loyal customer going on 5 years.

firebirdfan
01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Wow you've been with them for 5 yrs ? But only lately you required such necessities ? Hmm, since you've contacted them Before the addon then maybe it's not that nice of them, then decision is yours. I've found a few better ones before I found WH but they are a bit pricey. bcoz of the extra bells & whistles that you needed & the better service that they provide.
But it all boils down to personal preference & needs. Thanks for your sharing..