PDA

View Full Version : Is rdjpgcom or imagegick on WH or can I install it?

knosack
01-11-2004, 01:49 PM
I'm a newbie and got a PHP script called Photoframe. It works, but one feature it has is to display comments imbedded in a .jpg. This requires rdjpgcom or imagegick to work. I tried to find them, but didn't see either. Did I miss them? Is it possible to install something like this? If so, a link to details would be great!

Kurt

wildjokerdesign
01-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Not sure about rdjpgcom but know that WestHost has not yet added ImageMagik support. They are planning to but with the upgrades being delayed they have not yet. You should be able to install it yourself but so far no one has had success with it that I know. I tried on on of my accounts but there are alot of supporting programs you need which are not on WestHost. The info I could find on the net was so confuseing that I kind of put it to the side untill WestHost gets around to it. I didn't even really test the install I did on my test account. I was not able to figure the paths out on it. In my case I was able to fall back on GD2 for now although I have lost the support for gif files.

knosack
01-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm just doing family pictures, so I think I'll just wait for WestHost.

Just for curiousity, I got an rdjpgcom rpm, but didn't find rpm on the system. Any documents on installing software or even how the vps works? I didn't see much on the WestHost user manual. Trying to come up to speed on this, so any info would be great.

wildjokerdesign
01-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Not a whole lot supplied by WestHost on this. A few other places you might want to keep and eye on are one the link I list in my signiture. It is a forum like this one although I use it more for compileing hint, links and stuff I find on this board or stuff I have worked with. There are two other users that I know of at this point that have similiar help pages. Jalal has a page at 'http://www.gnomedia.com/cw/westhost/' and then there is 'http://www.domsch.com/westhost/' not sure which user that one belongs to I found it in one of Jalal's post on IMAP.

Hope that helps some. I am not real good with SSH so not sure how much help I can be on this topic but willing to try to answer any questions you may have. The times I have installed via SSH I have spent time at the site provideing the programe trying to search what support it needs and if there is any install info. I also do a lot of searchs on the program. Hopefully in time we can get tutorials for some of theses installs on my site or one of the others. Most users try to come back to this board and post what results they had on something and the steps they used.

I think it would be pretty hard for WestHost to give support on all the different programs since there are so many but they are pretty good at listening to us and when enough of us ask for it they try to get it to us. If you have a specific question you need answered about weather the VPS has something a program needs support is pretty good about getting you the answer.

WestHost - TMonsen
01-15-2004, 03:09 PM
You actually can install imagemagick on the vps, if you ssh into the account and type 'autoget ImageMagick' it will run the install. You will need to restart apache when the install completes.

wildjokerdesign
01-15-2004, 05:13 PM
That is good to know! The way I tried it was a mess... wasn't sure what version I was supposed to download from their site so most likely got the wrong one. Think I well go give this a try on one of my sites and see how it goes. I am assumeing that since it was not specified I do not need to be in a certian directory.

wildjokerdesign
01-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Well I gave it a try and it did install and gave me a message about signing off and bacdk on. So I exited ssh and then signed back on. Then I exited again and went to my Site Manager and restarted the VPS... This does restart Apache Right? When I FTP in to my account I find that there is now a /user/local/ImageMagick/ directory with stuff in it. The php script I am using wanted the path to convert so I gave i this /user/local/ImageMagick/bin/convert .... hmmm it does not seem to be working I do not get and error but then the script I am using switches to GD2 if it can not get ImageMagick. The only reason I know it is no working is because GD2 well not create a thumbnail for a .gif file so the program uses a default image instead when the thumbnail is not created. I tried to upload a gif file and it did not create the thumbnail for me. There is mention in the script I am using that if it can not find ImageMagick or if Safe-Mode is enabled it well default to GD2. I am not sure what it means about Safe-Mode yet so I am stuck. I did look in the ImageMagick files to see if there was anything like that I could configure but did not find anything. I remember hearing about Safe-Mode but not sure what it was in refrence to. I think it may be some place else perhaps the php.ini . That well be my next step although I have heard stories that changeing the pho.ini has not always been succesful. That's the trail for now. There are some other topics on ImageMagick that have not gotten very far and I am going to go post a link to this topic incase anyone is having the same problems. This seems to be the first one anyone from WestHost has responded to.

wildjokerdesign
01-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Found a link in another post that leads to a page about installing ImageMagick when you do not have Root Access. I thought I would re-post it here for others to reference in case it helps to sort all this out.

http://www.photopost.com/magicknoroot-php.html

wildjokerdesign
01-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Here is the link to the ImageMagick Forum:
http://studio.imagemagick.org/magick/index.php

I am still searching for answers. I did check my php.ini and it looks as if safe mode is not enabled so I do not belive that is the problem.

UPDATE
I now have it working! I did ssh in and type restart and that seems to have done the job. I am not sure if this was the problem or if maybe I was not doing something right in my php script. I would say the if you install ImageMagick using the WestHost example the you should then simply restart Apache by typeing restart.... why not you are in an ssh session anyway.

I hope all this may help others.

knosack
01-16-2004, 12:15 PM
I was finally able to get some time to play with this and the WestHost instructions worked for me. I just had to change the path in the PhotoFrame config and restart apache.

Thanks guys!

Glocom
01-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Can someone please translate this for me? Is this something I can do easily, or could it possibly lead to sleepless nights. Also, if SSH is like FTP (I don't actually have any idea), then can I use FTP instead?

"You actually can install imagemagick on the vps, if you ssh into the account and type 'autoget imagemagick' it will run the install. You will need to restart apache when the install completes."

wildjokerdesign
01-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Can someone please translate this for me? Is this something I can do easily, or could it possibly lead to sleepless nights. Also, if SSH is like FTP (I don't actually have any idea), then can I use FTP instead?

No SSH is not like FTP and yes it can be scary but it is not that hard to do. First you are going to need a progam called putty installed on your home computer. You can get it here Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) and the WestHost instructions to configure it are here WestHost Manual (http://manual.westhost.com/part1.html#gi-telnet).

Once you have it installed and configured you start it up and log in. You well need your username (no @domain.com) and password. Type in your username and hit return. Now type in your password and hit return. (Note: When typing in your password it well not show no the screen in fact it the cursor well not even move but it is being input so type carefully.)

Now that you are logged in all you have to do is type:

autoget imagemagick

Hit return and it well start installing. It well give you a message when it is compleated. I says something about sign out and back in but I do not think you have to.

Now type:

restart

Hit return and it well restart the VPS. Once you see everthing has restarted you are through and can log out.

To log out type

exit

Hit return and it well log you out and close the program.

It really is easy once you get over the newness of it. Give it a try. The path to it is:

/user/local/ImageMagick/bin/

After the bin you add what ever part of ImageMagick your program needs. Mine was wanting convert so the path I entered was:

/user/local/ImageMagick/bin/convert

Hope that helps. I am going to try and get a better tutorial with some screen shots at some point but may take me some time. Let me know if you run into any problems.

wildjokerdesign
01-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Well I installed another program that uses ImageMagick and set the path to /usr/local/ImageMagick/bin and I am getting an error with this program

Error messages::
/usr/local/ImageMagick/bin/convert: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I checked to see if this file was present and found it in /usr/local/ImageMagick/ or at least I think it is there.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 username vuser 15 Jan 15 17:16 libbz2.so.1 -> libbz2.so.1.0.2
-rwxr-xr-x 1 username vuser 66646 Feb 21 2002 libbz2.so.1.0.2

I did find an old post pre WH 2.0 that talks about ImageMagick not being fully functional but that it would be in 2.0. I wonder if WH has not gotten around to getting it updated and that the method they gave us above is installing the older version? Hopefully someone at WH well see this post and be able to let us know or maybe I am just not seeing something in the error that is obvious that can be pointed out to me.

There is a /share/ImageMagick-5.5.7 with files in it that makes me think that libbz2.so.1 can't find something it wants there perhaps but sinc the error does not say what it did not find not sure how to proceed.

Torrin: You might want to follow this thread in case I get any results. The program I am trying to get to work is Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php) and I think you where wanting to install it.

torrin
01-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Torrin: You might want to follow this thread in case I get any results. The program I am trying to get to work is Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php) and I think you where wanting to install it.

Yes, I'm hoping to install it as soon as I'm updated to WestHost 2.0. Thanks.

REC-WH
02-13-2004, 04:19 PM
You actually can install imagemagick on the vps, if you ssh into the account and type 'autoget imagemagick' it will run the install. You will need to restart apache when the install completes.

My first try using Putty! I get "bad command download" when I enter autoget imagemagick. I am in the root directory. Has anyone got this to install OK.

Thanks,

CM

WestHost - TMonsen
02-13-2004, 04:26 PM
My apologies to all I mis-typed the command, it is actually 'autoget ImageMagick', that case sensitivity stuff will get you everytime. I have also corrected my initial post.

REC-WH
02-13-2004, 04:40 PM
My apologies to all I mis-typed the command, it is actually 'autoget ImageMagick', that case sensitivity stuff will get you everytime. I have also corrected my initial post.

No Problem! Thanks! it worked!

CM

jsdoyle
03-02-2004, 11:29 AM
I managed to get ImageMagick installed per the instructions in this thread (thanks everyone) and now I get the error that my Gallery software can't create thumbnails.

The error is :

/usr/local/ImageMagick/bin/convert: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The file is there as is the directory.

I see others may have this problem. Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks,

Scott Doyle

wildjokerdesign
03-02-2004, 06:01 PM
HI jsdoyle,
I had the same problem until I followed Jalal's instructions for setting up the cpan stuff in this thread http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1607 . When I did that and went back to to my Gallery program all was fine. Sounds like if you do the same thing it may help. Not sure if was the whole process that did it or if it was one of the actions along the way. I was not doing it to get Gallery to work it just happened to be a nice byproduct.

jsdoyle
03-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a shot! The advice to get ImageMagick installed was a big help too!

Scott

wildjokerdesign
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Your welcome. I have not had time to get back to Gallery and play with it more since I got it running. I want to fiddle with the look and the layout of things and try and get it tied into phpBB2 for one of the forums I work on.

jsdoyle
03-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Hey I got it to work!! I didn't have to do the cpan reconfig. I went back into the server with putty and restarted. Now everything is working great!

Gallery will be a great addition to the site!

Thanks,

Scott

wildjokerdesign
03-15-2004, 01:47 PM
You actually can install imagemagick on the vps, if you ssh into the account and type 'autoget imagemagick' it will run the install. You will need to restart apache when the install completes.

My first try using Putty! I get "bad command download" when I enter autoget imagemagick. I am in the root directory. Has anyone got this to install OK.

Thanks,

CM

Capital I and Capital M is the answer I belive.

WestHost - MMellor
03-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

We actually do not recommend using autoget unless you are an extremely experienced user. The reasons for this is that installing software that is not provided/supported by Westhost can result in permanent damage to your VPS. This then leading to us having to rebuild your VPS and you losing all your data.

The best solution to this is to go to contact.westhost.com and to fill out a ticket and request us to install this for you. It looks like WildJoker and a few others were able to successfully install it themselves. If you are able to do this, more power to you. However if not, we are more than happy to help you.

wildjokerdesign
03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Hopefully you can get ImageMagick worked into the Site Apps. There is a lot of folks wanting it it seems. I just did the autoget again today and even at that the install is not perfect and you do not get support for everything ImageMagick can do.

The other problem is that it seems to install it in an area that most programs that use it can not find it. So you have to configure that manually in some programs.

Not perfect but well do for now.

I would agree you can really mess up your VPS doing this :) .
My suggestion on that aspect is if you are not willing to lose your site and start over then don't play with it.

WestHost - MMellor
03-16-2004, 06:01 PM
I'll pass that suggestion on to our engineers. We are always trying to keep our program selection that we offer as up to date as possible.

erich
03-18-2004, 01:10 PM
I was able to autoget ImageMagick just fine using Putty. Don't forget the big I and M as well as the k at the end of Magick!

I'm using it with Gallery from http://gallery.sourceforge.net/ and it works great.

Erich