PDA

View Full Version : Zope

noblesavage
01-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Is it possible to install Zope on a VDS? Any try?

noblesavage
01-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Ok, if you haven't installed Zope any thoughts on trying it? Is anyone interested in the results If I do give it a shot?

wildjokerdesign
01-12-2004, 10:52 AM
It may be that folks are not aware of what Zope is. I did a search and found their web site so thought I would post it here.

http://www.zope.org/

Zope is a Python program used for content management, intranets, protals and custom applications and is open source. It says that it can be used with Apache and other web servers but I didn't see VPS mentioned. Here is a link to the architecture of Zope that may help some figure it out.
http://zope.org/WhatIsZope/ZopeArchitecture

I am sure many users would be interested in any results you get if you give it a try.

esurfer
01-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I'd really be interested in what your results are! Are you installing the latest stable release? Are you able to utilize mod_rewrite? Can you even run ZServer or do you have to use pcgi? Did you compile Zope from source or did you install the binary? I'm interested in the Sphera VDS and would like to start an account with westhost, but those questions regarding Zope are my primary concern.

Thanks,
esurfer

bgelfius
05-26-2004, 09:03 PM
I successfully got Zope install on my server (gelfius.com). The first thing I did was to download and compile the 2.3.3 version of Python. I installed this into my /home area so as to avoid writing over the preinstalled version. After that I just followed the install instructions that came with zope and it worked. I had to use the --with-python=/path/to/newpython with the ./configure command. I need to now set this up to run without me being logged to a shell. I'm hoping that won't be to much of a problem.

Bryan

egaun
09-19-2004, 11:18 AM
I successfully got Zope install on my server (gelfius.com). The first thing I did was to download and compile the 2.3.3 version of Python. I installed this into my /home area so as to avoid writing over the preinstalled version. After that I just followed the install instructions that came with zope and it worked. I had to use the --with-python=/path/to/newpython with the ./configure command. I need to now set this up to run without me being logged to a shell. I'm hoping that won't be to much of a problem.

Bryan

Hi, i'm a newbie to Zope and Westhost, and am really glad to see that someone has successfully installed Zope. I'm thinking of installing Plone as CMS for my website, but i'm really starting from square 1. Would you mind elaborating some of the steps involved? Some major queries:
1) Do i download python for Redhat or "other platforms" or Linux RPMs?
2) DId you use SSH to install Zope? How do you do that? do you have to first FTP the installer and binaries, etc, then execute the compilers and installers via SSH?

I hope I'm not asking for too much, and I really appreciate any advice.
thanks!! :D

egaun
09-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi, to add on to my query above, i've been able to install python 2.3.4 in my html folder, and then install zope up till the ./configure --with-python=/var/www/html/python

the SSH shows that it has configured, then it says that /var/www/html/python is a directory

and when i try to run the 'make' command, it says, no target specified. Would anyone of you know how to get around this problem?

thanks