PDA

View Full Version : can no longer ftp into account after restarting vps

gnossos
12-23-2003, 09:12 AM
well, I restarted my vps via the control panel so that some changes I made to php.ini would take affect, however, now I can't access my acct via ftp anymore (can still do it through ssh though). Wondering if anyone has run into this before or if there is a setting somewhere that I inadvertantly changed (don't believe so), and etc., All of the ftp clients that I have tried so far have given no information as to the reason that the connection failed.

jalal
12-23-2003, 09:30 AM
All of the ftp clients that I have tried so far have given no information as to the reason that the connection failed.

Nothing at all... :shock:

If you try with a shell ftp client (under *nix, use ftp, under Windows open a command shell and try 'ftp') there should be some sort of messages.

Also, while you are shelled into your account, type 'ps aux' to get a list of running processes. Then try ftp'ing into the account and see if the running processes include 'ftpd:' in them.

Finally, check the files in /etc/... ftpaccess, ftpdir and ftpusers and make sure you haven't changed them.
And, if needed, you can turn on ftp logging in the file /etc/ftpaccess (find the line about logs).

:P

gnossos
12-23-2003, 10:29 AM
jalal,
thanks much appreciate all of that, I'll give that a go and see where that gets me. (and a merry xmas to everyone as I doubt I'll be back around again until after the holidays)

gnossos
12-29-2003, 07:20 AM
thanks,
westhost support resolved the problem.

jalal
12-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Was it a solution that may help others?

If so, could you share it?

If not, glad to hear it has been worked out.

8)

coppercup
03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
I have had this happen to me numerous times. Restart the VPS a second time, and it fixes the problem.