PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a how-to upgrade Perl to 5.8?

lukegt
12-07-2003, 01:47 AM
Greetings,

I'm trying to upgrade perl to 5.8 and need some help. I'm a total newbee.

LUke

jalal
12-07-2003, 02:17 AM
If you are a total newbie then my advice is simple: don't!

I haven't upgraded so I have no practical advice, but I can tell you the current installation of Perl is owned by 'root' so you cannot remove it. This means that you will have to do a parallel installation (probably in your home directory) and then hard code the paths into the scripts to use that installation instead of the 'normal' installation. You could also change the symlinks in /bin and /usr/bin to point to the new installation rather than the old one.

Good luck if you forge ahead anyway!

8)

lukegt
12-07-2003, 10:43 AM
The reason i wanted to update was cause i have a mls update script that requires ByteLoader .05 Right now ByteLoader .03 is installed i guess with the current version of perl. Do you know how i can just load that module and hopefully i wont run into anymore issues.

wildjokerdesign
12-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Your best bet would be to try and lobby WestHost to do an upgrade on Pearl to its current version. Not real sure why they do not run current versions of things like that but I know they have done upgrades before.

jalal
12-07-2003, 03:18 PM
They are probably more concerned with security than with running the latest and greatest.

lukegt
12-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Unfortunatly, i will need to have this perl module installed, so if i cant get them to install it or upgrade perl to its latest version that includes this. I will have to cancel my account, becasue its of no use to me.

luke

PS who do i need to talk to at west host to see if we can get the latest version of mysql and perl installed?

wildjokerdesign
12-07-2003, 09:12 PM
You might want to start with posting a request up in the Comments and Suggestions Forum. Might also search around and see if there is a company that will install such stuff for a fee. I remember reading in a recent post that one of the other users has someone he uses to do install and upgrades that only charges $25.00. Can't remember which post it was right now.