PDA

View Full Version : SpamAssassin 2.60 upgrade failure?



Frisky
11-18-2003, 01:41 AM
I tried to perform the upgrade that was linked in one of the other topics to SpamAssassin 2.60, but I guess something went wrong. What, I can't imagine, as I followed the instructions exactly and it seemed to install properly. I was certain to update my /etc/procmailrc file to point to the new install and I've verified that it is actually in the directory created for it during the install.

The only thing I wasn't sure of was permissions, which wasn't covered in the upgrade tutorial that I saw, so I left those alone. But, since my spam count doesn't seem to be going down (indeed, it's actually gone up since the install, except for stuff being specifically filtered out before the mail is being passed to SA), I have to assume one (or more) files were supposed to have new permissions set? Or activated? Or something?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Frisky

jalal
11-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Are you tagging the emails? If so, then you should be getting the version number of Spamassassin in the headers.
Secondly, this confused me for a bit, you may need to copy the rules out of /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf into /saconf/mail/spamassassin/local.cf, although in my installation both files seem to get parsed by SpamAssassin....

Just to check that it does indeed work, if you SSH into the account, you should be able to run:
$ /sa/bin/spamassassin --lint
which will check the rules for errors. No output means no errors!

You can also turn on logging for SpamAssassin with the -l flag (see spamassassin --help for details).

Frisky
11-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Well, it was tagging the emails before the upgrade. But, SA isn't adding any of it's own headers, which would explain why nothing is being filtered. My procmailrc is looking for the x-spam-flag: yes and isn't finding it.

I did the --lint and got no output, so I have to assume no errors, as you said.

I also made the rules copy from the two local.cf files. They're identical now.

I guess I'll have to find out how to enable logging and see if there's anything there that will help.

BTW - thanks to you guys, I'm learning a lot more about the CLI a lot faster than I ever intended. Still prefer a GUI, but at least I'm not afraid to try now. I appreciate the hand holding.

Frisky

jalal
11-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Let me know when its sorted and I'll put up an addendum on the web pages.
I'm on the road for the next few days so I'll wish you the best of luck!

8)

Frisky
11-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Thanks, Jalal. I just looked at the procmail log (I enabled logging there, as well) and nothing is passing through SA. Who knows why.

I'll keep at it. I think I know enough to know when I'm in over my head. I'll yell for help, if I find out what's going on.

Frisky

Frisky
11-20-2003, 02:15 PM
Well, I finally decided to do this the hard way and I've got spam filtering again. Sort of. I've sent myself a few mails from my regular ISP account with known spam triggers and they're coming through with the flags indicating that spamassassin is working again.

What I did was, I started from scratch. I ssh'd in and reactivated the spamassassin that westhost originallly installed. Then I used the site manager to uninstall it. Finally, I deleted the procmailrc file and reinstalled SA 2.52 with the site manager again. It seems to have recreated a default procmailrc, which was what I was hoping for.

Having never uninstalled the 2.60 version that Jalal's instructions helped me put in place, I used the "new" procmailrc to make the edits that Fayez and Jalal helped me do before and pointed it at the 2.60 version in /sa/bin.

Sometimes, it seems that starting with an absolutely clean slate is the only way to go. I had myself so confused, but now all is right in my world.

Frisky

jalal
11-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Glad to hear you got it working.
Would have been to good to know what the problem was, but getting it working was more important.