PDA

View Full Version : Status Update?

gharman
11-17-2003, 10:25 PM
I believe it has been a few weeks since the last status update, and I'm more than a little bit curious to know how things are going. If someone could comment, and address a few specific questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Any idea on when the rest of us will be transitioned to 2.0?

How long would it take if one requests an [early] upgrade?

How is the 2.0 server performance relative to 1.0 server performance?

Have the 2.0 control panel performance issues been worked out, and
is the current version reasonably snappy on a dialup?

My best guess at what one gets under 2.0 is:

Apache: 1.3.27
PHP: 3.4.0
Perl: 5.6.1
MySQL: 3.23.43

Can someone confirm that?

Does the VPS architecture allow us to upgrade each of these?

TIA

JDE
11-19-2003, 04:18 PM
1. The early request for upgrade is advertised at two weeks but takes at least 3 or possibly more weeks to accomplish. I can't tell yet I've only been waiting 3 weeks.

2. The Upgrade is now in day 135, just over a quarter and well qualified to be called a marithon. I'm certain now that they hold the upgrade record.

3. The one account I have on 2.0 works just fine (so far). I'm still muddeling through all the folders. When I get tired of that I may just delete everything and do a complete reload of just what I need. It is VPS so I can't hurt anything (I think?).

4. The Westhost Home Page www.westhost.com tells you exactly what you get. The one flaw in "what you get" appears to be Chilisoft.ASP, If you plan to use asp you need to tell them in advance so they can set up your account on a server that has chiliesoft loaded. At least that's what the manual says, but it could be out of date.

5. Some where I saw the system specs with the versions of everything. Possibly someone with a better memory than mine can tell us both where it's located. It seems the PHP version was 4.3, and Perl Version 5.6. There a bunch of other stuff but these two are the only ones that indicate a version in the control panel.

Found it!
Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) FrontPage/5.0.2.2626 mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP/4.3.0. CHILI!ASP/DISPINT10 (3.6.0.809; Mar 28 2001) Zend Engine v1.3.0 with Zend Optimizer v2.1.0. There appears to be more than one type sql database but I think mysql in 4.0.16. I saw something called perlsql

Johnie

iJeep
12-03-2003, 09:23 AM
Any more news on this?

I filled out the form for an early upgrade last week and haven't heard anything either.

wildjokerdesign
12-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Check this topic out http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1428 it sounds as if they may have stopped doing even early upgrades for the moment.

JDE
12-03-2003, 03:39 PM
AH,
Day 149 of the "upgrade"

Shawn,
I went to the link, you must be reading something into it that I don't see. The Westhost response is "whats your ticket number". In fact it sounds like they are going to take some action.

You are probably correct though, it's been 5 weeks since I filled out the "wait 2 weeks" form.

Rhinosoft has come out with a new version of DNS4Me which allows you to use dynamic IP addresses to turn your home computer into a webhost.
Possibly I'll give it a shot, so far Westhost 2.0 seems like a light version of Cpanel. I think during the months of requests we should have suggested they look a other (sucessful) webased managers.

Hindsight is really worthless!

Johnie

WestHost - MPlatis
12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
There is a new update concerning the 2.0 upgrade process. You can view it by going here: http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1434

FZ
12-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Yup, it's Apache 1.3.27, PHP 4.3.0, mySQL 3.23.56 and Perl seems to be 5.6.0 Also, as far as I know, you can't (unfortunately) upgrade any of these yourself because of the way permissions are set. You could, however, run a newer version in parallel, but that's "messy"...

---

JDE: Actually, I wouldn't recommend deleting everything in the manner you suggest :? You'd probably mess a lot of things up! Unless you know what you are doing (in which case, ignore this message). Besides, all those folders are ugly, but they're there for a purpose, and they're not really taking up much space anyway (apparently only 15MB of your quota). And you could always set the option in your FTP program to take you to /var/www/html on connect ;)

JDE
12-04-2003, 05:40 PM
FZ,
I reconsidered, recalling my misadventure with the South-American host when I used one of those Hotscripts installer scripts that upgrades everything automatically. They were nice about it but sent me packing anyway.

Now Days I use higher quality hosts and expect them to keep everything up to date. In fact my biggest worry about virtual servers is they are usually followed by a decline in support. Its like, now, you have your own personal server so you are on your own. The problem is itís not really a personal server. I have no intention of installing anything in parallel, if the stuff installed does not work or needs an additive, itís Westhostís problem not mine. I certainly don't care about space, since the grand "doubling" I have 1.5 Gigabits to fool with

Anyway, if I need a specialty script installed I go to Chris at myden.org and let him install it. Any script 25 bucks, guaranteed to work, and does (so far).

Johnie

iJeep
12-30-2003, 08:52 PM
The months keep going by and nothing changes....

It feels like WH has stopped working on getting people switched and just resumed the support for users as they are now.

Back in August or so when it was first announced I was pretty excited to be able to get more control and get free sub domains. Thank god I didn't hold my breath.

By the end of [December] we will have completed the majority of these efforts and should have a schedule in place for upgrading all remaining WestHost 1.0 accounts to our 2.0 hosting platform.

-----YAWWWWNNNN

adpwl1
12-30-2003, 10:38 PM
iJeep, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. Depending on the size of your site and complexity, (email, forwards, alisaes, maillists, cgi.....) having westhost do the upgrade could cause more problems than its worth. Or if you want, YOU can easily do the move now with a little coordination from WH billing and tech support.

I personally have not had WH do a migration for me, but than again, my site that is still on v1 is very basic and I have no real reason to move.

The one good thing now is that support is more responsive and can answer your questions more quickly.

MacToph
12-31-2003, 10:30 AM
I've asked support about this in the past couple of days and was informed that they are now shooting for the middle of January to begin the migrations again, with those who signed up to be migrated early happening first.

I for one am glad that they have taken the time to sort though all the issues they had with the first migration rather than pushing through to try and migrate everyone else.