PDA

View Full Version : Cant Download via Anonymous FTP.

Armadillo
11-13-2003, 03:06 AM
I have anonymous FTP set up, and it functioned not to long ago. But now it does not. The files are zip's and exe's.
When a link to a file is clicked a "The page cannot be displayed" error comes up instead.
If the FTP site is opened the files are all shown and a file dragged and droped to the desktop does download.

Mozilla has no problem with FTP links, but IE6 does. Ive tried it on two computers, plus my visitors complaints. Any ideas?

Ticket #144643.

wildjokerdesign
11-13-2003, 06:52 AM
I did a test on your site with IE5 and it seemed to work. Are you still haveing the problem or did WestHost get to you? I will check it from my end later with IE6.

Armadillo
11-13-2003, 10:17 PM
I tried it again and my FTP links still do not work.
I dont think it's an IE6 problem exactly, because it used to work in IE6 and other sites FTP links work.
But now it doesnt, on every system I try it on.
I tryed "save to folder" on a file, but got a "server returned extended information" error.

Armadillo
11-14-2003, 03:08 AM
Westhost has marked my support request as "resolved", but it is not resolved.
I submitted another one.
:(

wildjokerdesign
11-14-2003, 11:00 PM
You can also open a ticket back up by adding a reply to it. This may help keep the ticket going. Also they sometimes show resolved when they are transfered to another person.

Armadillo
11-15-2003, 11:28 PM
They responded quickly to the second request.
:)
However, I had already fixed it.... sort of.
The anonymous folder chmod was 700, so I changed it to 755.

Now, it works in IE6!
But not in Mozilla!

I think Mozilla will work if with a different link pathname, so I'll provide two links for each file.

:x
Browser incompatability is driving me insane!

Ivedog
01-03-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm having the same problem. Funny thing is that the FTP link works on other sites using either browser... Why would this IE/Firefox FTP link difference appear with Westhost and not all others? Something to do with their Virtual Private Server technology? Hmmmm...

Please let me know if you find a solution other than two links.

Armadillo
01-04-2005, 12:37 AM
What I ended up doing is duplicating my FTP files.
I made the anon ftp directory /pub (instead of the default /ftp/pub/anonymous/).
I put my files into /pub. Then I created a "pub" directory inside /pub and put a copy of files into it. So the files are in /pub and /pub/pub.

For IE the link is ftp://domain.com/pub/file.zip.
For Mozilla the link is ftp://domain.com/file.zip.

Firefox 1.0 seems to be able to use either one.

Ivedog
01-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Armadillo. That seems like it will work but also seems crazy. I wish it would just work how it should. Oh well. Maybe I'll just continue with the HTTP downloads. Does anyone know if there are disadvantages to HTTP downloads from a web page as opposed to FTP? Thanks for the help.

Armadillo
12-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I was updating my ftp files again and this issue still exists.
With IE6, if I click ftp://domain.com/pub/file.zip I get the file.
But if I put that into the browsers location bar it needs ftp://domain.com/file.zip.
I still dont understand it.
But I found a better solution other than duplicate files. I created a symlink in the pub folder to the pub folder. In other words, the symlink points to the directory that it is in.
I shouldnt need to do that, but it works.

nventurella
06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Here is an update on this old but still common question. Beginning in version 7, Internet Explorer issues an implicit "CD /" command when connecting to FTP servers. This is a problem because the anonymous user does not have permission to the / root directory of your server. Internet Explorer interprets the server's "permission denied" error as a complete failure to connect, and displays an error page to the user.

You have the following options to solve this problem:

Switch to HTTP. Ask yourself why you are using anonymous FTP anyway. You can put your files in a web-accessible folder such as /var/www/html/files/ and then create a .htaccess file with the line "Options +Indexes" to make your Apache web server create a directory listing. This will achieve the exact same thing (anonymous downloads by clicking on any file name) without all of FTP's problems. This is a better solution because it works in all browsers, you are not limited to the just 2 or 3 concurrent FTP users (so more people can download your files at once), and you can track downloads through AWStats or other log analyzing tools.
Switch to Firefox. Browsers besides Internet Explorer do not have this bug, and so these superior browsers will display your FTP site without any additional steps.
Suffer with Internet Explorer. You can still use IE, but you'll need to click on the Page menu and choose "Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer".