PDA

View Full Version : a few pre-sales questions

Anonymous
11-11-2003, 09:05 AM
hello,
I am considering moving my companies webhosting from an allegiance telecom account to weshost, I did have a few questions before making my final decision though. I am curious how easy it is to set up subdomains pointing to external ip addresses, i.e., a subdomain pointing to our mail server and a seperate one pointing to our ftp server? Please reply with info on the steps for setting these up so I have an idea of the time required. Thanks much

Anonymous
11-11-2003, 01:12 PM
oh also, wanted to know where you are physically located as well as your connctions/backbone, etc., Thanks much, hope a response is forthcoming as we are trying to get this done asap. Thanks

wildjokerdesign
11-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Not sure about your other questions but WestHost does have a page about there facilities here http://www.westhost.com/datacenter.html

They are located in Utah.

I also know you can point e-mail accounts to outside mail servers pretty easy via the Site Mangager but not sure about the FTP. Here is a link to the manual on the Site Manager that may give you an idea of how things work and what you can do. http://manual.westhost.com/

Anonymous
11-11-2003, 02:15 PM
thanks for the information wildjokerdesign, I perused the manual and believe I can use the "address assignment" or whatever it's called in the dns section to "point" a subdomain to an external ip address. I am a little concerned about all the bad press I've been reading regarding speed and uptime in the wake of the 2.0 upgrade (a number of webhost review sites have pretty negative reviews of westhost recently). I read the announcement by the CTO in the announcements forum, but I would still like the opinions of other users and some more information regarding the current stability and speed status. Thanks much

wildjokerdesign
11-11-2003, 02:27 PM
It really seems as if things have become pretty stable and the speeds seem to be picking up. I never had much problem with either but some did have alot of problems. One of the biggest areas that seemed to have speed problems was Miva but I do not use it so could not really say. I have not noticed any post lately on it.

WestHost was having alot of problems on one of there servers in paticular at the start and I belive that is where most of the complaints may have come from.

Support is still a bit slow but is picking up. The forum is great for getting fasters answers that other users can help with.

I have stuck with them through it all and have not regreted it. I sounds like you have enough knowledge of things that would do fine. With the new set up you have alot of controll over things that you won't have elsewhere but that extra power is not via the Site Manager in a user freindly enviroment but via SSH and FTP for the most part.

Uptime seems to be back to the norm. I have not heard much about folks sites going down because of the servers.

Hopefully others will chime in to give you a wider view. I often get accused of being bias... :)

Anonymous
11-12-2003, 07:18 AM
thanks for the info joker, I just pretend to know what I'm doing ;)
I will say that I am a little troubled after reading about the westhost popunder in the comments forum, it really does not instill a sense of professional confidence to have pop ups/pop unders on the host's own website.

wildjokerdesign
11-12-2003, 08:01 AM
It is really out of charecter for WestHost to have a pop under. I did turn it in via a support ticket last night and got a response this moring from the tech staff that they had truned it over to the Admistrator of the forum.

I have feeling that it is not supposed to be there but we will see. It just does not make sense since they are a web hosting company and that the adds promot other webhosting companies.

Anonymous
11-13-2003, 02:42 PM
anyone else care to chime in regarding their stability/speed experiences here recently? Thanks

FZ
11-13-2003, 02:57 PM
I would say performance is more or less back in line with pre-2.0 conditions - in other words, it's great. Stability is great too. I'll admit though, that script execution times, etc. are longer now than they were pre-2.0, but not by much. They are still within acceptable limits when compared to other web hosts.

Anonymous
12-09-2003, 12:05 PM
hmnn thanks for the input folks, could a few people provide links to their websites so that I could get an idea of what the speed might be like from my area? Also, I believe I read somewhere that there is a search script/utility (to add a search feature to one's website) included with each account, is this correct and if so, is it any good?
Thanks much.

wildjokerdesign
12-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Both Fayez and mine websites can be accessed vai the WWW button under our post. Most the WWW's that are listed here are most likely the ones hosted at WestHost. Yes you are correct a search script comes with each account. Here is a link to the script that is offered http://perlfect.com/freescripts/search/ and here is the WestHost userguide link http://manual.westhost.com/sitesearch.html

When you visit my site if you check the Web Design page the sites listed there are also all on WestHost servers. My phpBB board is not linked into the rest of my site but if you want to give a check you can do so here http://www.wildjokerdesign.com/phpBB2/ It gives you an idea of what you can do with the board WH offers with each account and is pretty much devoted to WestHost issues.

Anonymous
12-16-2003, 10:25 AM
just a few more questions:
if I sign up, how long do I have to make the final decision, e.g., cancel or not? 30 days or...?

also, I would definetly appreciate seeing somre more url's of people hosted here. I've checked out a few and that's great but I've still run across a number of bad reviews online (mainly in september, and I realize there were problems then) and I just want to be confident that things are now working well.

Thanks much.

WestHost - MPlatis
12-16-2003, 11:13 AM
gnossos,

There is a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee in place. If there is anything that is unsatisfactory, I advise that you get in touch with us (through e-mail or phone) and we would be happy to work things out.

For privacy purposes, as a representative of WestHost, I cannot give out any information on client's websites. I am sure that any of our members of our great online community here would be happy to share some.

FZ
12-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Hmm, you could always go to http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/memberlist.php and check out the people that have web sites associated with their usernames (sort by website, descending) - I think it is safe to say that most, if not all, of these sites are hosted on WestHost...

Anonymous
12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
thanks,
I browsed through those sites a bit.
Another question, are certain of your vpn servers more responsive then others? Probably about 30-35% of the sites I looked at in that list loaded up very slowly well the rest were rather quick, there didn't really seem to be a pattern to the slow loaders either, some were just simple text pages, minimal gfx, etc., and some were more complex.
Some troubling inconsistency if that is what it is. Thanks

wildjokerdesign
12-16-2003, 03:49 PM
It could be that some of the VPS servers are more responsive then others but I doubt it. I think WestHost has got most of them running about the same.

Was the block all at the same time? I get slow response out of my sites from time to time but it has to do with the load on my local ISP and current internet traffic. There are so many factors that can affect this it is hard to say.

Anonymous
12-17-2003, 06:17 AM
wildjoker,
thanks for the response, the sites were all checked w/in 10 minutes of each other so I doubt that it was an isp issue. I did just sign up for the xmas special to test things out a bit, signed up yesterday afternoon and was hoping to have received the setup confirmation this morning so that I could start playing around with things, any idea on how long this usually takes?

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2003, 08:09 AM
It has been a while since I set up a new account but as I recall I recieved the welcome e-mail with my information within 24hrs. It well take longer then that before the registration of the domain takes but since the special comes with a static IP you should be able to get in and start playing with it using the IP.

If you need help with anything let us know. There are tons of directories if log in via FTP or SSH don't let them throw you off. Your pages will all go in /var/www/html. When you log in via FTP you should see a www sym link you can click on that will then take you to a direcotry with more sym links from there you should be able to use the htdocs or username sym link to get to the public directory where you place your pages. It may not be exactly like that since all my accounts are old 1.0s that where switched to 2.0 but should be close.

Here are some paths you may need of you are setting up any of your own scripts:

Sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
Perl: /usr/bin/perl
Date: /bin/date
Java: /usr/local/java
Python: /usr/local/bin/python
Root Web Directory: /www/htdocs
Cgi-bin path: /www/cgi-bin

Those are straight from the manual located here: http://manual.westhost.com/

Congrats on your new site! Have fun!

Anonymous
12-17-2003, 09:45 AM
wildjoker,
thanks much I actually just this minute got the setup confirmation email.
3 questions
Is the site manager always this slow? It's taking me a full 30 seconds
to
to change from topic to topic (e.g., site applications to domain
management)

I'd like to change my account manager password but I don't see
anywhere an option for My Account (as indicated in the online manual)

We have an email server here at work that handles all our email, if
I want
everything mail.mydomain.com to be sent to that machines ip address
would it be best to do that via my registrar's mx record or...?

thanks much.

Anonymous
12-17-2003, 09:55 AM
oops,
forgot to put name in in above post.
I'm running into another problem here as well. I won't be changing our dns records to point at westhost for a week or so yet but I'd like to work with phpmyadmin to do a few things, unfortunately, since westhost required that I specify a domain when purchasing the plan, phpmyadmin keeps trying to do things with the domain which just bring up an error page. Is there any easy way to get around this?

thanks much.

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2003, 11:40 AM
gnossos,

You should be able to change your password by going to Site Management > Site parameters. There is a form at the bottom of that page to change your password.

Let me do some checking on the phpMyAdmin thing. Off the top my head you would need to change the paths in the script to use an IP instead of a .com but may be and easier way. I will get back to you on that one.

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Where are you located? Site Manager can be slow for Fayez sometimes but he is located in Africa. It slows down for me sometimes but for the most part moves pretty fast. I am in KCMO and I am on a cable modem connection. I do know that WestHost is working on re-vamping the Site Manager and they may be one thing they are working on but not sure. When we first all switched to 2.0 it was a big problem but recently I have not heard too many complaints.

Anonymous
12-17-2003, 11:48 AM
wildjoker,
I am located in washington dc running of a 1.5meg T1 so I really shouldn't be seeing any sort of lagging based on my connection speed.

Anonymous
12-17-2003, 12:08 PM
another question. I already setup phpmyadmin. I'd like to change our site manager's password but phpmyadmin is set to use the site manager's password - if I change the siteman pw will the phpmyadmin pw be updated or remain the old one?

thanks much.

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Ok I just tried this on my test account and it seems to work.

In /var/www/html/plugins/PhpMyAdmin/ there is a file called config.inc.php I made the following change to it.

Look for
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = "http://$SERVER_NAME/plugins/PhpMyAdmin";

Change it to
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = "http://YourdedicatedIP/plugins/PhpMyAdmin";

MAKE A BACK UP BEFORE DOING

After doing this I was able to access phpMyAdmin using my dedicated IP and it made all links with in it use the IP instead of the domain name. This was a quick test and I did not make changes to any databases but you might want to give it a try. Just as a disclaimer... Do this at your own risk! I tend to be very adventurous and well try anything but my ideas are not always the greatest. :)

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2003, 12:41 PM
another question. I already setup phpmyadmin. I'd like to change our site manager's password but phpmyadmin is set to use the site manager's password - if I change the siteman pw will the phpmyadmin pw be updated or remain the old one?

thanks much.

If I recall correctly it is updated. The directory protection on phpMyAdmin is using the password set for the rest of your site. If you look at the .htacces file you will see where it is pointed to get the password. On each database when you set it up you can set it's own username and password.

Does that answer your question?

Anonymous
12-17-2003, 01:22 PM
wildjoker,
thanks again - another question:
I'm a bit newish/haven't done anything in a longwhile with, mysql.
I setup a db with some tables that I'm trying to use and in my php script I use administrator for the username and the pw that I created when I "installed" mysql but when I try to access the db using that script a get:
"Access denied for user: 'administrator@localhost' (Using password: YES)"

any ideas?
thanks much!!!

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2003, 01:30 PM
root

Anonymous
12-18-2003, 07:09 AM
man, westhost really ought to be paying you for the support you give out ; )

regarding the phpmyadmin thing, if I change that line and then change it back in the future to my domain, things should work out correctly right? (might not know that as you said you'd jus tplayed around iwth it a bit).

wildjokerdesign
12-18-2003, 08:54 AM
Yes I see no reason why it would not and in fact after I did the test on it I went ahead and changed it back to the variable $SERVER_NAME that it was using.

I work on the web all day and have two screens on my main set up so it is not that hard to simply check the forum for new post and answer them. :) I get the benifit of learning new things which never hurts.

Glad you understood my last reply to your mysql username question. Looking back at it I realize it was pretty short.

Anonymous
12-18-2003, 11:35 AM
joker,
to above regarind the phpmyadmin thing, did you have to wait awhile for that to take affect or...? I changed that but when I try to access phpmyadmin via the ip thing still try to resolve to our domain which is not yet pointing to westhost.

(registered gnossos already but don't feel like loggin in right this second)

wildjokerdesign
12-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Hmm... No it was imediate for me. Not sure why it did not work of you. How did you change the file? Did you download via FTP edit it in an editor and then upload it again via FTP? The reason I ask this is because the editor that I use to edit files gets a bit "confused when the file has more then one "dot" in it. It kept saving my changes as config.nic instead of config.nic.php and when I uploaded the file I was simply uploading the unchanged file. If this is the case you can rename the config.nic on your computer to config.nic.php after you delete the original and it should take. I still had a backup of the original in a diffrent folder on my computer so it was not affected.