PDA

View Full Version : reseller help needed

paperweight
11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
Hi need some help figuring out my reseller situation.

I am on the Reseller 2 package, which gives me 15 VPSs. I currently have the following setup:

IP Based Accounts: 6
Name Based Accounts: 2

Now, the 6 IP based were from previous individual accounts under WH1.0, which have now been moved to 2.0 and into my reseller account. The 2 Name-based are accounts I just created--they're fresh domains that did not exist on WH previously.

Now, I assume that in all, I am using 8 VDSs (6+2), is that correct? This means I have 7 VDSs left, right? If this is not correct, please let me know.

Now comes the hard part: How do I, as a reseller, get into each VDS to create maybe 10 new domains on each VDS? Can I do this? Then can I resell 10% of each VDS to a new client? If I do that, will their web-based login show the other 9 accounts/domains on the VDS, or is it possible to just show their one domain?

Do you follow me on all the above? My goal is to be able to utilize each VDS to its maximum.

Thank you for your help and advice,
paperweight :?

wildjokerdesign
11-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Hope we get an answer on this. I just answered on your other post about real audio. I just got a resellers account and am trying to figure things out. If I do I will for sure let you know!

paperweight
11-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Yes, thanks joker. This post here is important and I've been talking with WH for a few months now and received different feedback at different times and still not sure of this on how to structure my accounts within each VDS. :<

I hope they respond soon.

cheers,
pw

jalal
11-10-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking of opening a new Reseller account, so I would also be interested in knowing the answers to this.

Doesn't this page provide the answers?
http://members.westhost.com/resellermanager.html

Keep us informed!

paperweight
11-10-2003, 05:39 PM
jalal, that page contains short marketing background to the services, but I can't seem to find the help info on how/where/if this is possible. It SHOULD be possible, but I can't find out where and I fear that instead of having it in the user-friendly web-based admin area, we might instead need to manually tweak settings within individual files on the server. :<

Anybody have any word on this?

wildjokerdesign
11-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Ok here I checked my e-mail from WestHost and here is the link for the manual... http://manual.westhost.com/rm/ Why is it WH seems to make everything so hard to find... :)

From the Glossary on that page it says this

Account
An account provides the functionality of a dedicated server in a shared hosting environment. Each account owner can administrate his/her website using the Site Manager. An account is also referred to as a VDS (Virtual Dedicated server) or a site.

VDS
A virtual dedicated server (VDS) provides the functionality of a dedicated server in a shared, virtual hosting environment. A VDS is also referred to as an account.

Both those lead me to belive that you can not break down the VDS other then like in a regular account that you can add a domain to an account. Anyone else see it that way?

paperweight
11-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Well, if I have even one VDS and I'm not on a reseller account--just the cheapest lowest plan they have for individuals, I can STILL place like 100 different domains and sites (albeit very very small sites) on one VDS. All I need to do is create separate directories within the VDS for them and then place their DNS on the VDS and point to each respective directory. Right?

However, though this is possible with an individual account, how do you actually, within the reseller area, move domains around within and outside of VDSs? I mean, if Westhost already moved over 5 domains for me and already gave each domain its own VDS, how can I instead move one of those domains out of a VDS and into another VDS, for example if I want to consolidate? This info seems to be lacking and also the functionality within the reseller area is lacking. Is this correct?

Thanks,
pw

wildjokerdesign
11-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Yes I agree with you. I have not yet figured it ou. Like you I had WestHost move some of my accounts over. When I first got the welcome e-mail I logged in and saw that the other domains had not been transfered yet. At that time there where 4 existing plans that I assumed where defaults listed as Plan 1 and so on. I was not able to edit those plans. When they did transfer my sites and when I looked at them they where associated with other plans that where not listed. I wonder if it is because they are pre-existing accounts and that they are moveing them manually to make sure nothing gets changed on them. That was one request that I did make of them. I know that my accounts are pretty old so they have many things about them that do not fit the current set up of things.

I did ask someone at WestHost to come to the resellers area of the forum and have a look at our post to see if we could get some feedback on these questions. That was earlier today. Hopefully they well and give us some insight. I am going to keep digging and see if I come up with anything.

My Reseller Account Manager does not seem to match everything that the demo video or manual has. How about you?

Also looking at my main account via FTP I see pretty much the same things and setup. Is this the same for you? I kind of expected to see some new directories or files pertianing to the reseller stuff.

paperweight
11-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Yup, my account doesn't gel 100% with the videos either, but this may be because they ahve tweaked something and not had time to update the help files/video.

I really need to add some more sites soon, so getting feedback from WH soon would be nice. :>

pw

wildjokerdesign
11-11-2003, 09:21 AM
I have been giving your first question some thought and this is how I think you could set things up. Each VDS as I see it is like one normal account that you would buy from WestHost. So if you had a "main" account on each VDS that was under your control then you could go in using that accounts Site Manager and add an e-mail/FTP user. This should give them thier own mini Site Manager and access via FTP only to thier directories. You would then use the main Site Manager to point the domain name to the directory that was created for that user.

The limitations I see with this is that one they would not have thier own cgi directory, (This was discussed elsewhere and not sure if a workaround was ever figured out) you could not have more then one johndoe@adotcom because all mail to a johndoe would go to the same mailbox and everyone on that VDS would be affected by any changes made to the VDS.

This is pretty basic thoughts on it but I think it is the starting point for what you want to do. Does that make sense to you?

Here is a post on domain pointing... as I find other post that seem to apply to this I will add them.
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1347
It also talkes about the e-mial issue and Jalal suggest using promail to get around the johndoe@ thing.

paperweight
11-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Right, thank you. Yes, this all makes sense and were some of the same thoughts going through my head as well. :>

Yup, by doing this you could offer someone a very stripped-down service, but they are still missing many major features. And the administrative headaches of organization are... well I don't even want to contemplate it.

I just added a couple more sites to my reseller account last night and I'm quickly running out of space (i.e. number of free VDS to use). Ezach of these sites is going to be like 10-20mb MAXIMUM (obviously quite small) and I don't want to waste an entire VDS on these things. Can someone from WH please respond anfd let us know what to do?

cheers,
pw

justus
11-12-2003, 10:02 PM
From my experience you'll have to tinker around with their CP, among the many other CP's I played with this is the least user friendly I might say.
Based on the number of VPS accounts you have, for each VPS you can have as many domains hosted but the problem is if each domain wants to have their own email & login - you'll be in for some twitching of the virtuser table of sendmail.. unless you've played around with it - it's sort of was a nightmare to me.

I've used HSPC cp & it's great real user friendly esp for the non techie. I would like to know if any body here installed those free CP's on their dedicated rather than using WH ?

And also would like to know what are the tech specs for each VPS,as some host put out their details like 100 MHz & 128 MB RAM for each vps.

Also would like to confirm if the basic hosting package also comes in a VPS box as I read --correct me if I'm wrong.

But I must say WH is real bang for the buck.

Still coming to terms with my sendmail conf :(

I sure like openwebmail - hope to install it successfully during the weekend.

paperweight
11-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Yes, I've used Plesk and love it much more than this one. WH is using a cp from Sphera (www.spera.com). It's crap. Very unuser-friendly and slow. However, you're right that WH is bang for the buck--a great company too--it's just that Sphera's software is crap.

This whole VDS and changeover has had its ups and downs, and right now it's way way down.

jalal
11-13-2003, 11:16 AM
I've been thinking about this. I have a bunch of accounts to move onto my reseller account. Some of them clearly need their own setup but I've got three accounts which use hardly any disk space, very low traffic and little email. It seems a shame to have them each on their own VDS.

So, what are the issues?
1. Different web sites. Apache can handle this with virtual servers.
2. Different email POP accounts. Sendmail and procmail can handle this I think.
3. Email aliases. Should be no problem but they would have to be unique across the three domains.
4. SMTP mail. I'm sure sendmail can handle this as well, but I haven't looked into it so far.
5. Different cgi-bin setups. Not actually needed for the 3 accounts I mentioned, but should be easy.
6. FTP. Not an issue for me, but again, should be possible using email id's.
7. Sphera control panel. This will not work for different users. But then, the accounts I'm thinking of wouldn't know what to do with the control panel anyway.
8. Email id's. On an IP based account I can login with just the user name, but on a name based account I would have to use the user@domain.com kind of login. This could be confusing for the users, who will have different domains. Maybe in IP based account would be the best choice for a shared VDS?

Anybody else have any thoughts on the above???

paperweight
11-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Anybody else have any thoughts on the above???

Yes, I'm glad all of our thought processes are moving in the same direction. I too am figuring this out. No answers yet.

The uniqueness of the email aliases can be a problem...

justus
11-13-2003, 07:35 PM
my main concern was the emails - the cp does not allow multiple domains email creation.
EX: VDS 1 has the main account domain name www.abc.com, so you add on another domain name(www.cdf.com) to VDS 1 & has now to sites hosted on it.
So you want to create email why@abc.com & another for sowhy@cdf.com via the email management interface.

You click create mail & it comes out fields for you to fill only for the main domain @abc.com while for @cdf.com I guess it's best you manually add in via the sendmail files ?
Not in other cp's where there's a drop down box for you to choose which domain you want to create an email for.

jalal i thought it wouldn't post a problem to you all the problems you posted. just have to do the conf files.

paperweight
11-13-2003, 07:41 PM
[quote="justus"]Not in other cp's where there's a drop down box for you to choose which domain you want to create an email for.[quote]

Right, this is a pain i the butt for Sphera's cp. You can set it manually, but then the end-user has no ability to make further changes, and therefore I spend more time assisting them... in the end it's just better to charge them a little bit more than WH's rates for an individual non-reseller VDS, and then the user admins it, but with WH branding... a problem.

justus
11-13-2003, 07:47 PM
So to answer jalal's questions:
1. Different web sites. Apache can handle this with virtual servers.
it's easily done via the domain management panel.

2. Different email POP accounts. Sendmail and procmail can handle this I think.
Yes as mentioned in my post above - multiple domains on each vps - you'll have to tweak it in those folders.

3. Email aliases. Should be no problem but they would have to be unique across the three domains.
also manually tweaking.

4. SMTP mail. I'm sure sendmail can handle this as well, but I haven't looked into it so far.
sendmail can do it.

5. Different cgi-bin setups. Not actually needed for the 3 accounts I mentioned, but should be easy.
yes create a script alias in the conf file.

6. FTP. Not an issue for me, but again, should be possible using email id's.
can be created via the email/ftp account creation.

7. Sphera control panel. This will not work for different users. But then, the accounts I'm thinking of wouldn't know what to do with the control panel anyway.
you just give them ftp :)

8. Email id's. On an IP based account I can login with just the user name, but on a name based account I would have to use the user@domain.com kind of login. This could be confusing for the users, who will have different domains. Maybe in IP based account would be the best choice for a shared VDS?
Are you referring to the multiple domains within a single VDS situation ?

All in all - I think it's the CP problem- unless you're the techie you'll have some hard time ahead.

Good luck guys & me .. I've noticed that recently I can send out mail via mydomain.com, which before that can only use my ISP smtp.

paperweight
11-22-2003, 02:22 AM
Ok, a related question:

Can I manually, as a reseller, change one of my VDSs into another domain name name? For example if I currently have acme.com as a client, but then they leave, can I then add emca.com in their place? Or do I need to go through WH?

thanks,
pw

firebirdfan
11-22-2003, 03:19 AM
I think the best way would be to destroy/delete your current vps for that particular domain & then create a new one under that new domain.
I dont know if tech support can do it without going tru my first suggestion.

Anonymous
11-24-2003, 10:01 PM
We have the ability to change the primary domain name for an account, but that doesn't change the primary username, unfortunately. The only feasible way to get that done is to re-create the account (which is what we do at WestHost), so that the primary username matches it (I HIGHLY suggest creating usernames to match the primary domain name like we do it for all of our accounts; it keeps the confusion to a minimum and keeps things nice and tidy).

The problem with changing over a domain name is that there will always be some residue elements of the previous domain left over that you're going to miss. Better to start with a clean slate, to eliminate problems (although it might take longer to set up).

paperweight
11-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Hi Mike,
Would you mind also addressing and answering the questions posed earlier in this thread? :-]

Thanks,
pw

paperweight
11-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Again, is there any way that we can get WH to address the other queries in this thread? I just gave westhost some more money for a domain for a year and in the "Comments" section I directed the accoutning dept to this forum.... I don't see any change really from how things were 2-3 months ago.... instead of having ups and downs of heart-wretching service, now all we have is stable heart-wretching service. But at least it's "stable".