PDA

View Full Version : Problem Updating Perl Modules

Jerry
11-07-2003, 05:25 PM
I seem to be having a problem updating certain perl modules. The following is a list of modules that I have tried, but without success to update.

# Ver. Latest Module Name Author

1 2.02 2.03 Apache::Status GOZER
2 5.57 5.60 AutoLoader NWCLARK
3 2.56 3.00 CGI LDS
4 1.03 1.05 CGI::Pretty LDS
5 1.72 1.807 DB_File PMQS
6 2.101 2.121 Data::Dumper ILYAM
7 1.01 1.07 ExtUtils::Command MSCHWERN
8 0.80 0.86 File::Spec KWILLIAMS
9 2.23 2.34 Getopt::Long JV
10 0.92 0.95 IO::Socket::SSL BEHROOZI
11 2.24 2.31 Net::Ping BBB
12 1.13 1.15 Net::SNPP TOBEYA
13 1.21 1.25 Net::SSLeay SAMPO
14 1.098 1.41 Pod::Checker MAREKR
15 1.02 1.37 Pod::Man RRA
16 2.06 2.09 Safe ABERGMAN
17 1.01 1.07 Term::ANSIColor RRA
18 1.13 1.24 Test SBURKE
19 2.26 2.30 Test::Harness PETDANCE
20 1.00 3.02 Text::Soundex MARKM
21 98.1129 2001.0929 Text::Wrap MUIR
22 2.31 2.34 XML::Parser MSERGEANT
23 1.01 2.03 base MSCHWERN

I have even gone as far as to install the latest version of CPAN, CPANPLUS. While the new version certainly works fine with other modules, it cannot update the modules noted above either. I might add that other modules have been updated without incident. The problem seems to be isolated strictly to the modules noted above.

I am open to suggestion.

Jerry

jalal
11-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Hi Jerry

You give no indication of what the problem is, or of what error you areget, so this is just guessing...

Perl modules are stored in two directories:
/usr/local/perl/lib/5.6.0/
/usr/local/perl/lib/site-perl/5.6.0/

The first of these directories is owned by root and you cannot change stuff in there. The second directory you have control over (well, sort of, I notice that some things in there are also owned by root). So, I guess the modules above are trying to update themselves in the first directory and it doesn't work.

When I updated SpamAssassin I had to do a local installation, as the site wide installation is owned by root and cannot be updated, maybe you will need to do something similar if you need to update the above modules.

Jerry
11-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Thanks for your input. Perhaps, when you have a free moment, you might check out your own site and see what modules need updating. I would be interested to know if your list resembles mine.

In addition, if it would not be an inconvenience, perhaps you could try updating one of the modules that appears in both of our lists, it that is possible. I would very much like to know if the problem I am having is localized or global to all WestHost users.

Thanks!

Jerry

o Did You Know?

Obsessive nose-picking is referred to as "rhinotillexomania."

Hi Jerry

You give no indication of what the problem is, or of what error you areget, so this is just guessing...

Perl modules are stored in two directories:
/usr/local/perl/lib/5.6.0/
/usr/local/perl/lib/site-perl/5.6.0/

The first of these directories is owned by root and you cannot change stuff in there. The second directory you have control over (well, sort of, I notice that some things in there are also owned by root). So, I guess the modules above are trying to update themselves in the first directory and it doesn't work.

When I updated SpamAssassin I had to do a local installation, as the site wide installation is owned by root and cannot be updated, maybe you will need to do something similar if you need to update the above modules.

jalal
11-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Well, I tried a few...
CGI, CGI::Pretty, ExtUtils, File::Spec and others won't install because of the reasons I mentioned previously (root owns the originals).

Data::Dumper requires some UTF stuff, that I think needs to be compiled into Perl.

Apache::Status will need the source code from Apache installed.

So there are different reasons, but the main reason I think is that you don't have permissions to upgrade those modules.

HTH

Jerry
11-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Thank you very much. Now, would I be correct in assuming that there is no practical way to upgrade these modules? I am not inferring that they do in fact need to be upgraded, but just that there is no easy way to do it.

Thanks!

Jerry

Well, I tried a few...
CGI, CGI::Pretty, ExtUtils, File::Spec and others won't install because of the reasons I mentioned previously (root owns the originals).

Data::Dumper requires some UTF stuff, that I think needs to be compiled into Perl.

Apache::Status will need the source code from Apache installed.

So there are different reasons, but the main reason I think is that you don't have permissions to upgrade those modules.

HTH

jalal
11-08-2003, 10:43 AM
You may want to check out:
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Perl/mod_perl/mod_perl3/page1.html

particularly pages 2, 3 and 4.

Good luck!

Jerry
11-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Excellent, just the information I was looking for. Thank you so very much.

Jerry

The secret to success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made.

You may want to check out:
http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Perl/mod_perl/mod_perl3/page1.html

particularly pages 2, 3 and 4.

Good luck!