PDA

View Full Version : How do you create a subdomain?

soexquisite
11-05-2003, 05:43 PM
I need help creating a subdomain. Can someone explain it to me, please? Thanks!

FZ
11-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Hi, have you checked out the manual? Specifically: http://manual.westhost.com/part4.html#domains If there is something you don't understand or have a question about, I'd be happy to help.

Gnat B
11-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I've been fiddling with this and can't seem to get it right.

What command do I put in the box after:

Root directory for the new sub domain will be

I assumed it would be:

/var/www/html/gnat

Thanks for your time and help!

REC-WH
11-14-2003, 04:08 PM
I've been fiddling with this and can't seem to get it right.

What command do I put in the box after:

Root directory for the new sub domain will be

I assumed it would be:

/var/www/html/gnat

Thanks for your time and help!

You need to create the directory "gnat" before you point your domain to it or you get an error.

CM

FZ
11-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi Gnat B,

It depends what you want to point the subdomain to - is it going to be a mirror of your actual domain (i.e. be exactly the same as your main web site)? If so, then you'd enter /var/www/html/

Like REC-WH says, if it is a directory that you want the subdomain to point to, make sure to create the directory first, and it should work.

Let us know how it goes.

wildjokerdesign
11-15-2003, 05:43 PM
If you have trouble check to see if the directory is empty. For some reason I had some problems with this. It may have been because I was trying to point to directories that where around in 1.0. I ended up deleting them and createing new ones then I uploaded my files.

Gnat B
11-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Beautiful! Thanks so much. I think the fact that I wasn't using an empty directory was my issue ^__^

wildjokerdesign
11-18-2003, 04:01 AM
Glad that worked for you. I think maybe it is a failsafe so you do not point to a folder that is already in use by something else. What threw me of is the option to use existing directory. Made me think that ment you where telling the system that you knew it was already there and that it was ok. Still do not know the logic behind that one but atleast you got it going.

swooshtika
05-21-2004, 11:51 AM
I want to set up a subdomain under my business that will be personal so it'll look like this:

subdomain.domain.com

I set up the directory /var/www/html/subdomain and added a folder called "subdomain" under the html directory. First, am I doing this correctly and second, can I have seperate instances of MySQL and phpBB under that subdirectory?

wildjokerdesign
05-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Yes that sound right then you create the subdomain in the Site Manager and point it to that folder.

Your instances of MySQL would be the same but you could create a different database if want. It can be done with phpMyAdmin. You could install a seperate phpBB but it would have to be done manually. If you need help with that let me know and I can lead you through it.