PDA

View Full Version : css and Creativeness.....

SUNDAY
11-01-2003, 11:57 AM
:D

Hello Folks,

I have a question in regards to .css and Sites, I'm all for reducing the size of a page in order for it to download fast, HTML. But, wouldn't that compromise in a way, creativeness in a SITE. For example, my site:www.ymisitio.com/htmlsiteredone/home.htm, indeed it takes sometime for it up to load, but I tend to be creative in doing Sites, and sometimes I get over my head. I'm all for using .css, but how can I create a Site with creativeness and .css at the same time? I would suggest any ideas or tips in regards to this matter....Well gotta go....Take care and God Bless....

www.ymisitio.com

[/url]

wildjokerdesign
11-01-2003, 01:02 PM
The best I can give you is to do some browseing. That is what I do. Also do a search on css and see what you get back.

One thing you might give a look at is the site that created this board.
http://phpbb.com/

The board uses style sheets to control the look... pretty complicated. If on thier site you go to the Show Off area you can see that lost of folks have done alot to the look of the board. I have really been digging around there and looking at how they have things set up and has really helped me to wrap my mind around it. I have been digging for awhile so it is not a quick answer... atleast not for me. :)

jalal
11-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Try a site recommended by Fayez:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

Take the time to play with the site.
that is creativity and css!

Armadillo
11-01-2003, 11:44 PM
CSS can simplify or increase the creativity of your site.
With CSS you can do things that you can not (or is difficult) to do with HTML.

SJP
11-09-2003, 03:36 AM
So I agree with wildjokerdesign that there is no quick answer. Also keep in mind that CSS by itself is just the tip of the iceberg. There is the DOM as well and the W3C folks have been hard at work standardizing that too and there is a high degree of consistency between different platforms or at least the major players (IE5+, NN6+, Opera, Safari, Konqueror - Linux). http://www.csszengarden.com/ doesn't address this area and that doesn't surprise me much, because if there was more diversity "out there" I wouldn't have had to spend so much time discovering things on my own :-)

SJP

SJP
04-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Here's a handy link for anyone interested in making their web-page standards compliant. In particular it was most useful to me, because I didn't know what to make of the W3C and WDG validators citing embedded javascript code as a premature ending to the <SCRIPT> tag.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/problems.html#script

And earlier on my fix was to package the code is a js file so it was out of reach. Talk about doing things the hard way.

There's quite a learning curve involved in CSS and I'm not just referring to the actual things that are possible, but what you can and can't and how to do something without breaking less capable browsers or other brands puporting the same level. The DOM is largely the same way. It's getting better. When it comes to appeasing different browsers that are HTML 4 Opera 7.11 required the greatest tweaking. And since I use the same script for all the browsers that translated into many rewrites and compromises. The two best IMO are IE6 and Mozilla Firebird 0.7 .

SJP

Barb54
04-29-2004, 06:36 PM
I am so glad I discovered CSS. It has saved me a ton of work!

It is great if you want your site to have all pages with same look and feel. Some people want a different look on every page and that just "creates" more work for the coder.

I had to work hard to learn it and am still learning new things I can do. It's so much easier to get special effects on mouseovers, clicks, etc with CSS instead of javascript. It took me a while to figure it out but now I don't have to use js. I do use it for certain navbars, but not much else lol.

You don't even have to include code in your HTML unless you want to change something specifically. You can set all up in the CSS file and be done with it. Classes and ID's go in their place on the page. It's really neat! Very time saving I think. I use CSS instead of templates as well.

Hope that helps someone decide to give it a try.

Barb

<mark />
06-23-2004, 03:54 PM
After some convincing, I switched to CSS/XHTML and haven't looked back since. I find www.alistapart.com very interesting and useful. Everything there is standards compliant.