PDA

View Full Version : How to have multiple domain names point to same site?

Keith Larman
10-30-2003, 04:11 PM
I'm a reseller and one of my clients has asked me something that I figure I should have an answer for instantly. But I realize I really don't know so I'll ask here. They want to register a bunch of domain names for a new project of theirs (something like 7 total domain names). What they want to do is have all of those domain names active and point to the same website (which will be nothing more than a simple phpBB2 discussion board). Seems reasonable to me and sounds like something I should be able to do. Worst case scenario I create 7 sites and just redirect to the "official" one. But that's mighty wasteful of resources (not to mention cost for having each account). I've never (obviously) worked with subdomains or multiple domains to one site. Can I just have all 7 domain names point to the same physical website? Obviously the site will have to be IP based, but what would the process be of doing this?

I'm open to suggestions as to varied approaches to this. Its just something I've not run across before and I've got to think there is a simple, cost-effective way of doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

REC-WH
10-30-2003, 05:57 PM
I'm a reseller and one of my clients has asked me something that I figure I should have an answer for instantly. But I realize I really don't know so I'll ask here. They want to register a bunch of domain names for a new project of theirs (something like 7 total domain names). What they want to do is have all of those domain names active and point to the same website (which will be nothing more than a simple phpBB2 discussion board). Seems reasonable to me and sounds like something I should be able to do. Worst case scenario I create 7 sites and just redirect to the "official" one. But that's mighty wasteful of resources (not to mention cost for having each account). I've never (obviously) worked with subdomains or multiple domains to one site. Can I just have all 7 domain names point to the same physical website? Obviously the site will have to be IP based, but what would the process be of doing this?

I'm open to suggestions as to varied approaches to this. Its just something I've not run across before and I've got to think there is a simple, cost-effective way of doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

If the hosting package is under WH2 and it allows that many domain names it is very simple. You just use the Domain Management portion of Account Management and add the names. I have 8 domain names pointed to one site. All my pages and form work OK with this setup.
No need to make many different site. The domain names they use will show up in the address bar.

Charlie

Keith Larman
10-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks. Interestingly I had the control panel open for another site I"m doing and under domain management it didn't allow for new domains to be added. But I opened up the control panel for another one (the one that is going to get the additional names) and it does have the new button. I wonder why it won't let me add another domain to one but will with another... Hmmm...

REC-WH
10-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks. Interestingly I had the control panel open for another site I"m doing and under domain management it didn't allow for new domains to be added. But I opened up the control panel for another one (the one that is going to get the additional names) and it does have the new button. I wonder why it won't let me add another domain to one but will with another... Hmmm...

I had the same problem when my account was originally setup under WH2. The button was missing! I emailed WH support and the modified the setting. It may have been because the account was originally a starter account with one domain name included in the hosting package and I later upgraded it to a large hosting package.

Charlie