PDA

View Full Version : Bad authentication using userid@domain.com as userid



attinella
10-24-2003, 01:36 PM
I have not been converted yet to 2.0, this is a question about athenticating my pop server from a netscape or mozilla mail client. In Outlook express, I changed my account user name from "username" to "username@domain.com" as per the new instructions for accessing my domain.com pop server. This all has been working fine. When I try to set up access to my pop server via Netscape Messenger or Mozilla Thunderbird, I constantly receive a message about "Bad authentication" from the server when trying to connect. If I go back and change my account user name from "username@domain.com" to just "username", then I can get to my pop server through Netscape and Mozilla, however, it is my understanding this approach will not work after my 2.0 conversion. I have checked and double-checked my setup data and I cannot figure out why the POP authentication is not working when coming from Netscape or Mozilla. Any help would be appreciated.

wildjokerdesign
10-24-2003, 07:49 PM
I think you will be ok. I am on 2.0 and have to do something similar when I authenticate before sending out e-mail with Outlook Express and it works.

attinella
10-24-2003, 10:09 PM
I think I may have been too wording with my question/concern. When changing from the old username format:

username: abcdefg

to the new format:

username: abcdefg@abcdefg.com

I can authenticate fine with Outlook express but not with Netscape Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird. I get a message saying

"mail server attinella.com responded: bad authentication"

I dont think it is a westhost problem, but I am not sure. I have not yet been converted to 2.0

attinella
10-25-2003, 12:59 PM
After further investigation, I am thinking this is a Mozilla problem. Both OE and Pegasus handle the xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.com username just fine. I have a different pop account that also uses the "@" within the username but the name is much shorter. This shorther name works fine in OE, Pagasus and Mozilla. I will pursue this with Mozilla.

attinella
10-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Ok, after discussing this with Mozilla developers, it is starting to look like a Westhost server problem. The latest (unreleased) Mozilla software contains a workaround, but the root problem appears to be related to "Login" authentication vs "User/Password" authentication. Mozilla will test to see if "Login" authentication is supported by the server, and it will use that by default if possible. Outlook Express does not try to use "Login" authentication unless secure signin is explicitly specified. I ran a Mozilla trace of the comnands to the server and the following was returned when Mozilla asked of LOGIN was supported:

+OK Supported authentication mechanisms:
LOGIN

Therefore, Mozzilla tried to use it. The log also shows that the correct full username was passed in to the server.

The reason that the newer versions of Mozilla work is that they put in additional software to use USER/PASSWORD authentication if a failure is detected when attempting LOGIN authentication. When I forced Outlook Express to using LOGIN, i received a similar error to what I was seeing with Mozilla.

Some more related info: If I use the old format for userid (i.e. username without the @xxxx.com stuff), authentication works via the LOGIN method. This problem is somehow isolated to these new usernames that contain the @xxxx.com.

I dont see this as a high priority problem for me (since Mozilla now tolerates this problem), however, it probably deserves some attention (maybe after all this 2.0 stuff settles down!). Since LOGIN authentication encodes the login data as base64, it provides some measure of security (however it is not encrypted).

I would think that when other folks try to use Netscape Messenger with the new username format specified ( xxxx@xxxx.com) they would see the authentication failure that I was seeing, and since they are running much older builds of Mozilla, the Mozilla code to tolerate this problem would not show up for awhile.