PDA

View Full Version : need BBS advice

J_M
10-22-2003, 07:11 AM
I maintain a site that is still a Westhost 1 site and I just received an email that the transition is still being postponed. The site would like to have a BBS, I was hoping to wait for PHPBB and Westhost 2. I would like a BBS that can administer who can register/post or possibly have email sent to a moderator for approval/passwords.

Should I-

Wait for Westhost 2?
Switch to a new host?
Install PHPBB on WH1 and hope that the transfer to WH2 won't break the database?
Install a different BBS? CGI/perl ? any suggestions?

thanks,

J

torrin
10-22-2003, 08:42 AM
I installed phpBB on my WH1 site several months ago. It's not that hard. Since I haven't been migrated yet, I can't speak on if it will break or not.

I would like a BBS that can administer who can register/post or possibly have email sent to a moderator for approval/passwords.

Yes, phpBB will allow you to do this.

One last note, you should probably be familiar with ssh and the command line before trying to install this yourself.

wildjokerdesign
10-22-2003, 07:10 PM
J,

You can also request to be migrated early here
https://corp.westhost.com/upgrade2/

It take about two weeks after you request it but would most likely get you migrated faster.

I would suggest using phpBB2 like Torrin said it will do what you want. It can be a bit confusing if you are trying to do modifications to it but the phpBB site has a very strong communiity and a forum full of advice an answers if you have the time to work on it also has alot of addon's. Don't get me wrong it runs great as is but if you want to do any tweaking to it you will need to due some reasearch.

Shawn

jsimmons
10-28-2003, 12:30 PM
I was thinking about making use of the bbs stuff, but I was wondering about bandwidth and storage effects on my account. Can anyone comment on this?

One more thing, did I read right that all accounts can amke use of this software without additional charge?

wildjokerdesign
10-28-2003, 04:19 PM
phpBB is free software and free for you to use. Check thier knowledge base here for answers to cutting bandwidth

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/list_articles.php?view=all