PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver MX FTP upload

speakswell
10-20-2003, 06:02 AM
I've changed to things at the same time. Host, and from FP200 to Dreamweaver MX.

Where can I find detailed info on uploading with Dreamweaver. I think at this point I should assume I know absolutely nothing about FTP and Dreamweaver.

I must make up for lost time, and that means leaving the ego in a hidden file. :twisted:

Thanks.

Bart

eitankus
10-20-2003, 06:12 AM
I use Dreamweaver MX. It's pretty easy. Here are the settings. I'm doing this from memory so they may be out of order.

- FTP
- yourdomain.com
- /var/www/html/
- yourusername@yourdomain.com
- yourpassword

Click on test to make sure it connects.

Ed.

ms425
08-13-2004, 11:17 AM
What is the scoop with the secure ftp option with Dreamweaver MX 2004. I can never seem to get it to work. :?:

Tom Howard
08-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Steps for Dreamweaver MX

1. Go to the 'site' menu site->new site...
2. Choose a name for your site
3. Choose whether or not you want server technology (probably 'no')
4a. Choose how you want to upload files (probably edit then upload)
4b. Choose a local folder to keep your files in
5a. Choose how to connect to the server ( choose FTP)
5b. hostname = your domain name (e.g. www.yourdomain.com)
5c. Specify the path to store the files on the server ( /var/www/html )
5d. Specity your username and password (received from WestHost)
(test the connection)
6. Specify the url for your site (e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com). It might add the path from before (e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/var/ww/html) but you should take the last part out.
7. Specify the checkin/checkout status, you only need it if there are multiple people working on the website at the same time.

whew.

Now you should have the settings all right. In the "files" panel you can look at your site info. There are two views, the local view (what's on your computer) and the remote view (what's on the server) that you can go between with a drop-down menu. There are arrows that handle the FTP. The green arrow that points down moves files (via FTP) from the server to your computer. The blue arrow that points up moves files from your computer to the server.

As for the secure FTP on MX 2004, I've never had any problems with it. I think it is much easier now that it is built in and you don't have to use PuTTY. What kind of errors are you getting?

Yeti
12-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi. New to Westhosting but learning quickly.

I have created a ftponly user with a home dir of /var/www/html to be used as the Web docs mgmt. acct. I can connect, browse, create/delete files/dirs fine via ws_ftp, but when trying to upload the site via Dreamweaver MX I get the "You are restricted to your account." error, same as if trying to navigate outside home dir. I can upload files to existing dirs, but the upload fails with this error when attempting to create dirs within the Docroot.
I also can't SSH in with this acct., even after editing /etc/passwd and giving the user a login shell.

I'm thinking it's a vuser problem, specifically my lack of understanding of the vuser implementation. Anyone experienced/solved this?

TIA

wildjokerdesign
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I use Dreamweaver 4 and was haveing kind of the same problem you where haveing. Now my user was not in the /var/www/html directory but elsewhere. I was able to log in but not upload anything.

My problem was solved by removeing the entry had put for remote root. I simply left it blank and now all is working fine. I don't know if that well help you any but thought I would mention it.

Yeti
12-22-2004, 11:03 AM
My problem was solved by removeing the entry had put for remote root. I simply left it blank and now all is working fine.
Thanks alot Shawn. That was it.

What threw me off as well while attempting to troubleshoot the DWMX issue was the following. /var/www/html is owned by 'user vuser', but the directory is not writable by the group. Even though the home dir of 'user' is set as /var/www/html, that user shouldn't be able to write/upload to that dir?? What king of weird permissions scheme is in place that it would allow the overriding of permissions like that?? Any thoughts on the matter?

wildjokerdesign
12-22-2004, 11:35 AM
I not really sure Yeti. I have noticed that with my users it seems as if I log in as them and upload a file ownership is still given to the default user of the VPS.