PDA

View Full Version : Review of my site, please.

Serefina
10-19-2003, 09:42 PM
:D Hello, this is my first post in the forums. I've been with Westhost for maybe 2-3 months and couldn't be happier. Finally,I have finished designing my site and have it up on the web ready to be shown off. I would love to hear some comments on my site, good or bad, hopefully more good than bad. But, I'm confident my site looks pretty good. You can find it at : www.tambassadorpress.com

So, take a look, browse the many pages and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Regina Debreczeni
www.tambassadorpress.com
"Where Luxury Lives" :P

wildjokerdesign
10-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Where is the version where I don't have to use macromedia. I want ot buy stuff but I hate all that new fangle stuff it takes so long to load.

Ok that is not really true but when you have a site that is promoting a product it is not really good form to require your customers to use something specific to view it.

I really do have Flash so I went ahead and checked out your site. Looks very nice. It was a bit hard to figure out how to navigate. I kept wanting to click on the name instead of the dot because that I what I have been trained to do by other sites. Perhaps you could make both the dot and name a hyper link.

I am not a real big fan of sites that use Flash for everything so I may not be the best first response for you but I am sure others will chime in on what theythink.

I can tell you put alot of work into the site and the graphics and art work are great! :)

shawn

Alejandro
10-20-2003, 12:19 AM
Hello,

I know you expect good comments but since I think we learn more from the bad ones here I go. Well not precisely. The truth is that you have a very nice site, I'm pretty sure you spent a lot of time on it!!!

I agree with wjd about the links, I also tryed to click to the names several times... another problem I felt is the speed... you need to spent some time optimizing... is not a big deal and you feel the results. Just one example: the greeting card of the party dog is 48kb... using photoshop and saving it at high quality (and believe me, you can't tell the difference) you get it at 18kb... a BIG difference... and it took me less than 2 mins

I'm sure you had a big work doing all the pages differents, according to the things you're showing, I understand what you wanted and that you may not want to change that but I didn't liked to see only 4 thumbs per page and wait another page to load just to see another 4... I would like to see more at the same time or may be you can put some more in the same movie and with a click take the user to another frame or scene, not to another movie... so they show up faster... just an idea ;)

By the rest I also agree with wjd, "I can tell you put alot of work into the site and the graphics and art work are great! :) "

dahj
10-20-2003, 10:48 AM
I left before your countdown finished. It is taking way to long to load.

torrin
10-20-2003, 11:14 AM
The site looks great visually, but I got a few comments.

On the main page . . . http://tambassadorpress.com/home.html

In firebird (http://mozilla.org/products/firebird/), I can't tell what is a link and what isn't a link. For some reason, the mouse stays a hand with the finger pointer. I don't know if this is a problem with firebird or not, but I don't have this problem with other website. This probably has to do with the page being flash.

Also on that same page, if you click on FAQ, it opens in a new window. Why? Opening in the same window would probably be better.

And last, it would be nice if you website would size to the window it's in, so I don't have to scroll left and right to read it. I don't know if this has to do with you using flash or not.

By the way, like wildjokerdesign says, anybody who decided that they don't want to have flash on their computer will not be able to buy anything from you. You should at least have a non flash version. Better yet, only use flash for what needs to be animated.

These a just my opinions.

torrin
10-20-2003, 11:51 AM
OK, I looked at the site in Internet Explorer with Flash 6 and problem 1 goes away. The rest of the problems still stand though.

wildjokerdesign
10-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Regina I must say you work fast. I just went back to your site and noticed you allready have an HTML entrance and set up. You even made the names the links. Good job!

Now for a bit more detail on some things. On your front HTML page your have the "text" in a graphic that explains your site. Although this is a good way to controll the look of your page it keeps the search engins from know what your site is about. All so noticed looking at your source code that you have not meta tags for keywords and such which can also influnce search engins. A hint to make sure seach engins spider your site is to put all your links at the bottom of the page in simple html text links. I as a rule us that on all my sites and if you browse the internet you will see it is pretty common. Even if for now you put a text link at the bottom to your shopping cart front page it will help get that started. The more contents in text you can have in your site the better.

I notice the links on the page for the stationary are still going to flash. I also noticed that you are using Miva shopping cart which is HTML. For a fast fix on HTML you could set those links to the shopping cart. Oh those links opened in another window wich I would have open in the same window.

Something to be aware of when you are setting the font for your text is that it will not always use that font if the end user does not have it on their computer. Everyone for the most has Arial, Times, Veranda, and a few others. That is the bueaty of useing the text links at the bottom that are a duplicate of your other links. The ones that really show up can be graphics to control look but the spiders will ignor them and find the ones at the bottom of the page.

I hope you are not getting discouraged you have done a great job and are going to have a dynamite site. If you want we will keep feeding you ideas to tweak and optimize your site. Just let us know.

Shawn

wildjokerdesign
10-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Oh one more thought for down the line. A good way to get folks to come check out your site is to offer something FREE. I am not sure of the rights you have to the stationary but perhaps you could design some computer wallpaper that you could offer for free download based on some of them.

Like I say that is for down the road.

Shawn

Serefina
10-21-2003, 02:39 AM
Sorry, for not responding sooner, but when I got wind of your replies, I had to act fast. I want everyone to be able to access my site and if that means an Html site, then an Html site they shall have. I decided after much contemplation, a lot actually, to have both sites. I have spent practically the whole afternoon on the computer and finally at 4 a.m I got my html site done. But boy, are my fingers sore!!! :!:
I just wanted to say thank you to all who reponded and for all your tips and to tell you the truth, in the back of my mind I had a feeling those flash pages might irritate someone, but I myself love the effects it brings to a website.
Previouly, before I revamped my Enter page,I did have some meta tags in there, but because I've been so busy actually putting together my new html site it must have slipped past me! I've been a busy girl. :wink:
There might be some broken links on the html site until I get them situated, so just to let you know ahead of time.

And, about the stationary, I designed all the products myself, but I was thinking about making a few simple web templates for free.
I'm pretty excited about my site and can't wait for when I get my very first order! :P This is actually the first site I designed and boy it really kept me on my mental tippy toes. Well, I'm off back to work and please do keep the ideas flowing my way, whatever will make my site better and get the customers rushing in is always a good thing.
:D
P.S Don't you just love those emoticons?!

Regina

wildjokerdesign
10-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Regina,

I will try to keep an eye on your site as it matures. I the season progresses my schedual gets busy so if I forget or there is something you would like me to look at your welcome to PM me. :)

Yep love those emotioncons. I just got an e-mail from my parents and it looks like mom found a new little program to add them to here e-mail... they where even animated and jumping all over the place! ;)

Shawn

wildjokerdesign
10-21-2003, 08:05 PM
P.S. Just noticed one thing you may be aware of. I was in HTML side and click on Terms of Website which to me to that page but there where no links on the page to get back to your site. Yes I know there is the Back Button but I always try to give users the links to back to the rest of my site on all pages.

Serefina
10-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi, now that I fixed the problem and have an html site I was wondering if I could get some imput on my products. I happen to love all the designs but then again I did design them myself. I would love to have somone else's opinion and for that matter what would be the best way to promote a site? I have lots of ideas already but it never hurts to get someone else's ideas to add to the mix. :) Thanks

P.S.Anybody see anything they like? :wink:

Regina

torrin
10-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi, now that I fixed the problem and have an html site I was wondering if I could get some imput on my products.

I had my wife (the resident expert scrapbooker in the family) take a look at your site. She says that your products are really colorful and attractive. She approves, but has some other comments.

As for the greeting cards, she says that she would really like to be able to click on a card and see what's inside. I told that they are probably blank inside and she says that you should put that on the page somewhere so people know. She also asked about the envelopes. Are they plain white?

Serefina
10-24-2003, 03:47 PM
Hi and thank you for the comment. I worked really hard on
designing my stationary and greeting cards. As for the
inside of the greeting cards, yes they are blank. You know, I
have been so busy with making my website that it never even
crossed my mind to have that little bit of info displayed on
my website. Thanks a bunch! I will immediately place that
on the first page of my greeting cards.

As for the envelopes, maybe you could help me with my
dilemma. Obviously, white envelopes are the cheapest and
easiest to come by, but I was thinking of having a solid color
envelope. For example, the Quick Quack Duck
Stationary(pink) on page 2 in the stationary link, I would
have a matching pink envelope or on page 5 in the stationary
link for the Bear and Wagon Stationary a pink or blue pastel
envelope. What do you think a customer would prefer?

Actually, I had designed matching envelopes for all the
stationary. I even made them into templates and made the
envelopes myself with a sticky self sealing closure and they
looked great! The only problem is that it takes too long to
make them by hand and to have a company manufacture
them costs quite a bit of pennies. :shock: I had an idea though of
offering them as a limited edition product, so, I could make
them myself and sell a set amount. But, I would still need to
have an easy to come by white or solid color envelope with the
package.

Boy, that was a mouthful. I really appreciate you checking
out my site and giving me your imput. I can't wait to hear
back from you.
Thanks.

Regina :D

wildjokerdesign
10-24-2003, 08:05 PM
Well I know it adds alot of "options" to there order but you might want to try creating three packages for each one is just White the second complimentry color for card and the the third the custom envelope. If you could keep the cost resonable and maybe base your price for the custom envelopes on what it would cost if you did have them manufactured them maybe would get an idea for what your customers want.

From looking at your site and product I would think that you should focus on capturing the market of folks who want something that is not the run of the mill "Hallmark" card. I think you could build on that and maybe even build a base of clients that wanted you to design cards for them. Imagin the the rich folks in the mansion who want to say "Oh yes our christmas cards where designed by an artist and produced just for us." You know there chirstmas list can get pretty big! ;)

I have two clients that deal with just such folks and their sites refelct that in that I have designed them breaking some of my "standard" rules. Both your site and product really seem to fall in this catagory and that can be an advantage.

P.S. You are unique... use that.

torrin
10-25-2003, 09:40 AM
My wife says she prefers color because it will make the cards stand out more. She says that when she gets a yellow card in a sea of white envelopes, that would be the first one she would open. She says that if she was buying a set, that she would want it to get the person's attention as soon as they saw it. She also likes wildjoker's idea of having 3 different envelope options.

Serefina
10-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Wow, thanks for the idea! I think I was just so focused on using only 1 of the three I never thought to just use all three! Thanks again. I also wanted to know what do you think about personalization of my products? You know, a graphic (logo) and wording. I was toying with the idea a bit. :D

Regina

<-- R O B -->
01-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Hi Nice site - a couple of gripes though :lol:

First of all I'm using firebird -
http://www.tambassadorpress.com/home.htm :

"T Ambassador Press" in the large font overwrites "bringing you a little bit of the luxuary you deserve"

You should make the images link to the same place as the link "details"

I'd make the menu links bigger/bolder as they are lost under all the great images of the products

Also none of the links are underlined - it took me a while to distinguish them from the text

I think someone already mentioned this but meta tags for keywords and description should help your web site positioning.

Cheers
Rob C

Blackfyr
01-09-2004, 09:15 AM
First, lovely as your design is, the screen width of your pages is too wide for all but higher resolution screens with the browser set to full width. People with smaller screens or those who don't open their browser windows to full screen width will have to horizontal scroll to see the stuff to the right. And, generally speaking, horizontal scrolling is considered a big no-no in web design.

Second, I'm using Safari (the new default Mac browser) am having the same problem with your text overlapping other areas. I have uploaded a picture of what I see to my server. You can see what I at &lt;a href="http://www.TwoBurrens.com/pictures/TAmbassadorDetail.jpg">http://www.TwoBurrens.com/pictures/TAmbassadorDetail.jpg&lt;/a>.

SJP
01-09-2004, 04:20 PM
I just looked at HTML no flash entrance with IE6 and your formatting is off. I took a snap shot and placed it at http://www.sanjuanpersonals.com/example.jpg

SJP

SJP
01-09-2004, 05:24 PM
I thought I'd add if you don't specify the DTD type along with the DOCTYPE then most browsers assume "strict" regardless of what you say That can adversely affect the formatiing. I had this problem until I added the DTD declaration.

&lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

SJP

Serefina
01-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm not sure what happened to the text but I wonder if it might have had to do something with the fact that I was reformating my computer at the time you guys saw the formating problem. Because I haven't had any complaints from anybody else since now, so it must have been that. As for the width issue, I designed my site not to be too long width wise, but I guess in other browsers it is different.
What would you suggest would be a safe width size for all browsers?
I hope the formatting was fixed for you guys since I only have IE and that is how I view my site. It seems fine to me now.

Again, thanks for the info. It is much appreciated.

Regina :)

SJP
01-10-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure what happened to the text but I wonder if it might have had to do something with the fact that I was reformating my computer at the time you guys saw the formating problem. Because I haven't had any complaints from anybody else since now, so it must have been that.

No, that isn't possible. What is possible is that none of your users who are adversely affected bother to tell you. Perhaps, because they don't think it's wrong or that big of a deal. Users are a lot less critical than web designers. You can learn from my mistakes or anyone else or make them yourself.

SJP

wildjokerdesign
01-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Regina,
The problem with the formating is still there. I view with IE and I am seeing the same thing. I looked at your code and noticed that your text sizes get pretty big. The largest was 96. Maybe that is part of the problem. I really did not dig in to the html code to much it was hard to see at a glance and follow with all the div tags. Are you using only web fonts? If you used a font on you local computer that others do not have on their own computer that can affect the look. Like I said I did not dig to deep. Did want you to know that the formating was still being affected.

Serefina
01-11-2004, 11:46 AM
All right, I think I solved the problem. Take a look and tell me what you see.
(Fingers Crossed!) :roll:

Regina

wildjokerdesign
01-11-2004, 12:45 PM
WooHoo! You got it. Looks good from here on IE.

Serefina
01-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Thank Goodness!! :D

Now, all I have to do is the rest of the website just to make sure there are no other problems.

Thanks again! :P

Regina