PDA

View Full Version : cant create accounts@example.com

justus
10-16-2003, 10:48 PM
When i tried to create accounts@abc.com it says Accounts is a reserved word for the Hosting Director components -
So how do i solve this issue - i really need to creat that particular accounts email.

jalal
10-17-2003, 01:05 AM
Not a solution, but maybe a workaround: setup an alias?

justus
10-17-2003, 03:10 AM
but an alias has to be attached to a real email address ?

jalal
10-17-2003, 05:28 AM
Yes.
So have an alias 'accounts' and forward that to 'accountdept@...' or something similar.

However, this seems like a less than ideal work around.

If it is just a problem with the Hosting Director (which it sounds like) then it should be possible to create an email account manually on the server. But I haven't tried this.

wildjokerdesign
10-17-2003, 08:08 AM
justus,
Could you get away with simply using accountdept@... it would be similiar and still make sense as an e-mail account for clients if that is what you are aiming for.

jalal
10-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Not if he has the email 'accounts@...' for the last few years, maybe printed on invoices and such...

FZ
10-17-2003, 05:11 PM
I tried adding "accounts" as a POP3 and then as an alias, and I got the same error message. As far as I can tell, it's just a reserved word and not actually used for e-mail, so here is a workaround you can use (yup, it's Procmail http://www.procmail.org to the rescue again). In case you are not familiar with it, Procmail is already installed and configured on all accounts. Before you do this, make a backup copy of the procmailrc file in the /etc folder, because this is the file you will need to edit as below.

1. Make a new mail account using your Site Manager - for example,
"accountsdept" (or skip this step if you already have a mail account you want accounts@yourdomain.com mail to be sent to).

2. Add the following line to the end of your /etc/procmailrc file:

:0:
* ^TO_accounts@yourdomain.com
/var/spool/mail/accountsdept

Make sure to replace yourdomain.com with your domain name, and accountsdept with the name of the e-mail account you added in step 1.

3. Send yourself a test mail to accounts@yourdomain.com, and make sure it shows up in the mailbox (chosen in step 1).

Note: If you are going to use FTP to download the /etc/procmailrc file and then re-upload it, make sure to use ASCII mode (for both upload and download). Once you re-upload it, CHMOD it 644.

The above worked for me. Let me know if that helps or not.

justus
10-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Sorry FZ, I downloaded it in text mode - but don't see any emails that i created for that domain. i created 5 emails for this domain there's no such line containing
* ^TO_accounts@cao.com.my
/var/spool/mail/account

??
it's the correct file procmailrc in etc folder - but none ?

wildjokerdesign
10-18-2003, 08:23 AM
justus,

I don't think the Site Manager adds your alias to procmailrc. I think it is a sperate program that can do other things and Fayez is just haveing you use it to "fool" your account to get what you want.

Also a correction in what you typed. I think you would still have to have the accountdept email account so you would need to enter this.

:0:
* ^TO_accounts@cao.com.my
/var/spool/mail/accountdept

Is that correct Fayez?

Shawn

FZ
10-18-2003, 08:31 AM
justus,

You have to follow the steps I outlined in my post above. The lines I quoted there are NOT in the file already - you need to ADD them yourself. What Shawn said is correct: all this is doing is "fooling" incoming e-mail addressed to accounts@cao.com.my so that it is moved to your accountsdept mail account (i.e. it is acting like an alias) - so you must create a separate mail account called accountsdept, or call it anything you like as long as you replace "accountsdept" in the code with whatever you named it. You cannot use accounts as the name. And, like Shawn said, you are missing the :0: line which is essential - without it this would not work at all. Please copy and paste the code Shawn has in his post above exactly as is into your file and re-upload the file. Don't forget to make a backup copy first. Also don't forget to change the permissions to 644, and upload it in ASCII (text) mode.

firebirdfan
02-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Hi Fayeez just tried your trick but couldn't get the email through instead it bounced back with unrecognized user unknown.

FZ
02-28-2005, 02:19 AM
Hmm. This is a really old thread ;)

I see what you are saying. Seems there is a flaw with my so-called workaround here: it doesn't work. Though there is no mention, I may have assumed that the catch all was turned on (which seems to be the only way this would work).

I guess the easiest way to do this now is to add an alias such as "accountsdept" using the site manager (which delivers to the mail account of your choice), and then edit /etc/aliases to replace "accountsdept" with "accounts". You need to run newaliases via SSH once you have made the change, and you should be good to go.

firebirdfan
02-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Thanks, just to clarify. After editing the etc/aliases file via file manager. I open ssh & type in newalises & hit enter & then exit will do ?

FZ
02-28-2005, 02:37 AM
Yes. The accountsdept alias you add should be the last line in the /etc/aliases file.

firebirdfan
02-28-2005, 02:43 AM
Hi, sorry 4 troubling you. It still can't work, stating that address unknown. This is because the emails here we have been having that email account for our new client for years.

FZ
02-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Maybe a step by step will help:

1. Log in to your Site Manager.

2. Create a new POP3 (e-mail) account (E-mail/FTP Management, new E-mail/FTP), call it accountpop

3. Test this account (send mail from any account not on the same domain to accountpop@whatever.com - use your own domain in place of whatever.com). If that doesn't work, you must be doing something wrong.

4. Now create the alias (still in E-mail/FTP Management, but click on Aliases/Forwarding on the left, then New Alias, E-mail). Call it accountalias and set the destination to accountpop by choosing that from the drop down menu.

5. Send an e-mail to accountalias@whatever.com and ensure that you receive it at your accountpop account.

6. Edit the last line of /etc/aliases which should be:

accountalias:accountpop

so that it is:

account:accountpop

Use SSH if you know how, otherwise use the file manager. Or you could download that file, edit it with a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and then re-upload it via FTP in ASCII/text mode.

7. Log in via SSH type newaliases and hit enter. Exit SSH.

8. Send an e-mail to account@whatever.com and ensure you see it in accountpop. If you don't, try adding a new e-mail alias (e.g. testalias) via your Site Manager, and then remove it (so that the aliases are updated/refreshed) and try again.

Remember that people will mail account@whatever.com but you need to set up your e-mail program to check accountpop@whatever.com. It won't work if you set it to check account@whatever.com (you could apply the same 'hacking' principle here to add a POP3 that is called account and not have any aliases, but this way is easier to do [and explain]).

firebirdfan
02-28-2005, 07:03 PM
thanks Fayeez, I actually got the aliases the other way round. It's now workin fine, forgot to remove the procmail command earlier too :) thanks

FZ
02-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Glad you got it working.