PDA

View Full Version : File Manager

Mafdet
10-14-2003, 02:18 PM
Does the edit feature of File Manager work? Mine doesn't seem to. Am I doing something wrong? It seems pretty staight forwad, but it's not saving the changes.

FZ
10-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Which files are you trying to modify? Unfortunately the File Manager WestHost chose is pretty bad - things rarely work like they are supposed to with it. If you can, you should consider using SSH and FTP to edit files.

wildjokerdesign
10-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Yes I have to agree. File Manager should not be used to edit files. I have found that there is a really bad bug in it that will display some of the file outside the edit box at times. I think it could really mess up your files.

I am going to go now and do some testing to see if I can narrow down what is doing this and then report it to WestHost. Since I FTP everything and edit it I had kinda put it on the back burner of problems but now I realize it may be able to do more harm then good.

Shawn

wildjokerdesign
10-14-2003, 03:41 PM
I think I found it. It seems to do with <TEXAREA> tag and how it is used in the file you are opening up. Not sure of the specifics and I also should say that it is not the FileManager itself that is the problem. I have anouther script the I used to use on 1.0 that is like it and it now does the same thing.

Shawn

Mafdet
10-14-2003, 07:24 PM
The file I was trying to change was the index.sht file in the bbs directory, just a minor change from a mailto adddress to a contact page. I thought it would be convenient to do it online without downloading the page, etc., but it's no big deal.

An edit feature like that, if it worked, would be nice for quickly fixing spelling errors and other small things.

FZ
10-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Do you know how to use SSH? I use SSH daily. You can make changes to (text) files using a program called pico that is installed on the server. So, you'd log in, type pico filename.extension at the prompt and then you'd be able to make the change to your file and save it. This way, you don't need to download it via FTP, make your changes and then re-upload it. This process would probably be faster than using the File Manager anyway...

wildjokerdesign
10-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Oh no Fayez not that.... :) I have been working with Mafdet to get the file fixed. It is the output of an old script that is very picky about the file.

Anyway I got Mafdet fixed up and the file is back in place.

Shawn

FZ
10-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Oh okay, cool :) Still, pico via SSH does make things so much easier ;)

wildjokerdesign
10-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Ok I will give it a try... you know me I am still scared of SSH ... I did try to install PEAR today via SSH... I must be missing something because I failed big time.

So when I use pico do I have to include the path or do I get cd to the directory the file is in that I want to edit and then type
pico filemname.extension

Shawn

FZ
10-15-2003, 05:24 PM
Don't be scared of SSH ;) You have to learn some time... And trust me, once you get the hang of it you will wonder what you did without it. In fact, without SSH, you are not fully utilizing the power you have over your account with WestHost 2.0. And I don't think starting off with SSH by trying to install something was a good first step! That is part of the much more difficult stuff :(

You can either cd to the directory where the file you want to edit is in, and then type pico filename.extension or you can just do pico path/to/filename.extension Both work. Once the program is open, the commands should be listed at the bottom. The "hat" character (^) means you have to press Ctrl. So, ^X (which means exit) is executed by pressing Ctrl+X. Have you checked out the WestHost SSH documentation? It's not very thorough, but it does explain some of the more basic stuff (and tells you what basic programs are available) - http://manual.westhost.com/part1.html#gi-telnet

wildjokerdesign
10-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks Fayez, Yes I have looked at the info WestHost has on it and played some with those commands. The "hat" thing is good to know that is one I would not have know.

By the way I did submit a ticket on the File Manager thing and tech says they are aware of the problem and have been wroking on it they are planning on releasing a new File Manager or at least an updated one.

Shawn

torrin
10-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Don't be scared of SSH ;)

Cool 8), another person that advocates the use of the command line. I was starting the think I was alone.

I have to say, I agree completely about learning about ssh and the use of the command line. There is so much more functionality to it. I have to disagree about editors though. I'm a vim (http://www.vim.org) man. :P

Mafdet
10-19-2003, 12:51 PM
I just love to read these things. Can't figure out what language you guys are speaking in, but it sounds interesting. I only speak 3 languages and read 5, but none of these apply. :?

Okay, I'll bite. What is SSH?

wildjokerdesign
10-19-2003, 02:07 PM
I'll let Torrin of Fayez answer that one... ;)

jalal
10-19-2003, 02:28 PM
SSH is the Secure SHell, and is one of the reasons that I chose Westhost (although they used Telnet at first).

Checkout www.openssh.org for more details...

I might (time permitting) write a tutorial for folks who have not experienced the:
Power of SSH!

wildjokerdesign
10-19-2003, 02:49 PM
I might (time permitting) write a tutorial for folks who have not experienced the:
Power of SSH!

That would be great! If you do can I re-post it on my board? :)

Shawn

jalal
10-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Sure!

8)