PDA

View Full Version : Compressing Graphics

szsv
10-14-2003, 12:11 PM
I'm new to Web Page design and publishing. I have tried to compress my digital photos using jpeg but each time I compress them, they will not display. I'm using both Photoshop 6.0 & PaintShop Pro 7.0 for the compression. I'm attempting to compress them from approx. 300k to 180k to below 10k. When try to compress them AT ALL, they will not display. I have NO IDEA what I am doing wrong. I'm using Web Editor 5.5 for my site development. Even using Dreamweaver 4.0 I get the same results.

Using the uncompressed photos causing long, long delays in loading the site: www.trainboxesplus.com. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
szsv

SJP
10-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you're compressing them too much. Choose a higher quality. Also you can reduce the DPI. 75 is the average. There are other tricks and you'll just have to experiment to get a feel for them.

SJP

wildjokerdesign
10-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Ok I went to your site and checked out your images. I saved 0-scale.jpg to my computer and then opened it up in my Photoshop. You have width set at 1491 and height set to 1026. It looks like you have the resolution set fine at 72. Yet on the page you are displaying the image at 170X115.

Ok so in Photoshop go to image size and change the width and height to match what you want on the site i.e. 170 and 115 if you use contrain and simply enter 170 the height will be set to 117 a bit taller then what you are using on the page so you would have to either crop the image or change your layout if you needed the image to be that short. here is my version of it at only around 14kb
http://wildjokerdesign.com/0scale.jpg

I might also suggest that you use only numbers and letters when you name your imges no spaces or special charecters. If you do not it could cause you some problems with other things.

Let me know if you had trouble following any of that and i will try to clarify

szsv
10-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Thank you for the replies. I tried both suggestions. I also tried the cropping method in Photoshop which allows you to reduce the size of the picture and save it to the web with 60% resolution. I additionally tried to set up a free site at geocities and send a graphic there to test if WestHost was the problem. It was not. I'm having the same problem there. I also tried all this with my other computer which has Win 98 on it. My main computer has Win XP. This HAS to be operator error. I must have some setting incorrect.... somewhere. I'm just at a loss as to where.

Thanks,
szsv

szsv
10-16-2003, 06:46 AM
wildjokerdesign....I saved your compressed graphic and used it on the website. It did not show up when I published. I thought that, perhaps, your compression might work since mine was not. So, it might not be just my use of Photoshop.

dahj
10-16-2003, 11:42 AM
You might also want to verify that your browser is allowing the graphics to show up. Other than that, what format are you trying to save your image as? Which browser version are you using? Why don't you post your published image here where we can see if we can get it to appear.

szsv
10-16-2003, 04:45 PM
dahj....I'm using IE 6.0 and saving the pics to jpg. I'm also viewing the pages with Netscape 7.1. All "no shows" for the pics. Here's one of the pics:

http://www.trainboxesplus.com/hoscale.jpg

It shows here OK in the preview.

szsv
10-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. BUT....forgive me while I crawl under my rock for a while and hide in SHAME!!!!!!!! It REALLY helps if you UPLOAD your graphics to the site. Funny thing! The site can't find them if you don't upload them.....GEEZ!!!! WHEW!!! :roll:

wildjokerdesign
10-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Don't you just hate it when that happens... :) When reading the new post to this I was thinking... It has to be something simple like the path is just off by a bit or stroke.... the not upload did not even occure to me.

I am glad you got it worked out. Let us know if you run into any other problems. Sometimes it just helps to voice them and then the answer comes.

Shawn

szsv
10-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanks Shawn. Yes, it does help to talk it through. Since this is new for me, there are so many nuiances that can be missed which can stop you in your tracks. Details, details.

When you are working in your laboratory in the wee hours, hair frizzed and eyes bulging, its difficult to keep things in perspective! :shock:

Suzan

dahj
10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
I think that we've all done it before! So welcome to the club! It's all good though.