PDA

View Full Version : ftp: 550 permission denied error (trying to upload folders)

springfrog
10-13-2003, 11:22 AM
This has only just started to happen today....I can upload individual files by ftp. But when trying to upload any folder with various sub-folders and files, I keep getting 550 permission denied errors. There are dozens of sub-folders involved and I need to upload them in one go rather than create each individial folder (ie directory) manually (a horrendous task) - always been able to do this before with westhost (and other hosts) so I hope this isn't a "feature" of the security adjustments earlier today. :?

Please help.

jalal
10-13-2003, 02:42 PM
I have the same problem, can't create directories.

On the rather rare off-chance that someone from Westhost will be reading this, the actual error i get is:
========================================
MKD wordpress failed; [Could not determine cwdir: No such file or directory.]
Could not mkdir wordpress: server said: Could not determine cwdir: No such file or directory.
========================================

What i have to do is tar/gzip the files together, upload the targz file and then unpack it while logged in through SSH. Which for a complex structure is easier anyway, but its a hassle having to SSH in just to create a directory.

wildjokerdesign
10-13-2003, 02:49 PM
The error must be on just some servers or accounts. I have not had a problem today and have been uploading full directories on a couple accounts today. ... Now watch I will start haveing problems :(

Shawn

springfrog
10-13-2003, 06:45 PM
Yay, it's working again now.

Thanks for the idea about the tar/gzipping via ssh jalal. I've never tried that before and whilst things weren't fully working via ftp (in other words most of tonight) I've had an interesting time learning what tar/gzipping is all about. :) Will keep that in mind if I have any more problems. :D

Hope things stay OK for you wildjokerdesign. :)

jalal
10-16-2003, 02:27 AM
I submitted a trouble ticket on this.

Westhost informs me that I have to install Windows on my computer, and a program called WS_FTP in order to upload files to a Linux based computer.

What are those guys smoking???